or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 1118

post #16756 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorris View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

 The reason i asked i have a LittleDot MK III that is not being use so i'am thinking of inserting the LD MK III in the TAPE LOOP i don't know if this makes any sense.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.  If you have a solid-state preamp and want to drive your headphones from the tube LD MkIII, that would make sense.  If you're thinking that you're adding a tube buffer by going from the tape out of your preamp to the input of the LD. then from the output of the LD to the tape in on the preamp, you may be in error.  The output of the LD is probably taken directly from the input and is not actually sent through any tubes.  I'm thinking it's more of a passthrough so that you can send the audio signal to another device like a regular amp for powering speakers.

 The PRE out jack of this LD MKIII is connected to the HEADPHONE out jack so they are both controlled by the volume pot (LD will be inserted between the tape loop of PIONEER SA-7700)Thanks!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapman View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i luvmusic 2 View Post
 

 The reason i asked i have a LittleDot MK III that is not being use so i'am thinking of inserting the LD MK III in the TAPE LOOP i don't know if this makes any sense.

What you are imagining kind of works, and should work in theory. It's not too different from how recording engineers will make proper use of a mixer's effects chain that way. But in mixers it is done that way so you can dial in the plain/effected signal the balance you want.

 

Tape loop will work for that as long as everything is wired up correct. Otherwise, you might as well just run it directly into another one of the jacks.

 

I used to have a Little Bear P5-1 tube buffer but gave it away. I would like to try one again some day.

 So now you mentioned it is possible i will be trying it to see if it will make any difference i've been wanting to do this for awhile i even thought about buying a cheap tube buffer to begin with but then i have this LD not being used so i will start from there.TAPE Rec to LD's input,LD's Preamp/headphone out(these two are connected)to TAPE Play is this right?Thanks!


Edited by i luvmusic 2 - 12/4/16 at 4:40am
post #16757 of 16769

So i took the plunge and purchased a new cable for my HE-500s and (hopefully forthcoming)HE-6 to drive them from my speaker taps....

When the cable arrives I will give my impressions vs. headphone jack of my 881

post #16758 of 16769

It works...............:L3000:

post #16759 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

So i took the plunge and purchased a new cable for my HE-500s and (hopefully forthcoming)HE-6 to drive them from my speaker taps....

When the cable arrives I will give my impressions vs. headphone jack of my 881


Think you're gonna love the sound...............the Sansui have tone and loudness controls? 

post #16760 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Think you're gonna love the sound...............the Sansui have tone and loudness controls? 


yeah,loudness,bass/mids/highs on the receiver,plus i have a stand alone Sansui EQ too.....keep it pretty flat except for some minus in the 250hz range.

 

post #16761 of 16769

Question:

How do you guys safely clean your headphone jacks/plugs and rca jacks/plugs?

Ive read that DeOxit works,but then a contact enhancer is needed to remove the Deoxit residue,as it apparently leaves a sharp sound.

videos I have seen and read that people use either a cotton swab,clean mascara applicator or even the plug/jack themselves.

I assume I need to unplug everything first....any suggestions on what Ive typed above and how long does one need to wait before using the equipment again?

post #16762 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero View Post
 

Question:

How do you guys safely clean your headphone jacks/plugs and rca jacks/plugs?

Ive read that DeOxit works,but then a contact enhancer is needed to remove the Deoxit residue,as it apparently leaves a sharp sound.

videos I have seen and read that people use either a cotton swab,clean mascara applicator or even the plug/jack themselves.

I assume I need to unplug everything first....any suggestions on what Ive typed above and how long does one need to wait before using the equipment again?

 

 

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

 

I have always just used a 1/4" adapter with the deoxite on it for the headphone jack... I am also in the wait 10 minutes camp of how long to wait... mostly because I am not a patient man.. I have never really had any issues with waiting 10 ...some claim you should wait overnight..... wusses... I say =p

post #16763 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post
 

 

 

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

 

I have always just used a 1/4" adapter with the deoxite on it for the headphone jack... I am also in the wait 10 minutes camp of how long to wait... mostly because I am not a patient man.. I have never really had any issues with waiting 10 ...some claim you should wait overnight..... wusses... I say =p

 

Same here - never a problem.  HD600s are as smooth sounding as ever.

post #16764 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post
 

 

 

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

 

I have always just used a 1/4" adapter with the deoxite on it for the headphone jack... I am also in the wait 10 minutes camp of how long to wait... mostly because I am not a patient man.. I have never really had any issues with waiting 10 ...some claim you should wait overnight..... wusses... I say =p


yes I have read "overnight" as well...thanks for the response.

If anyone has any horror stories to relate please share them as im about to clean my system within the next 48 hours

post #16765 of 16769

Deoxit is basically magic in a can. There's no 'harsh' tone from it. If deoxit comes out and leaves a harsh tone, then that's probably what your gear sounded like under the static haha. 10 minutes is plenty only for very surgical application, overnight is safe for beginners and general use. Most problems come from not everything going back together right, things getting left where they shouldn't, etc. If you're careful and methodical, you'll be just fine.

post #16766 of 16769

don't get the Deoxit on the tuner section or your tuner will basically be ****ed btw..   try not to get it on the face-plate ..  take the knobs off before using it..

post #16767 of 16769
Quote:
Originally Posted by atarione View Post
 

don't get the Deoxit on the tuner section or your tuner will basically be ****ed btw..   try not to get it on the face-plate ..  take the knobs off before using it..


im only planning on spraying it on a mascara applier and working it in and out a few times,both headphone jack and rca inputs...unless that is a no-no,which is why im asking,never used this stuff before.

My headphones have all been sounding "off" lately so i re-routed my system to see if my EQ was messing up..it did fix the problem,so then i re-wired my EQ back in and the problem remained solved,which leads me to believe I have some dirty connections "somewhere" in the chain...and TBH my headphone jack is looking pretty grimey.:triportsad:

post #16768 of 16769

yeah.. that should be good..

 

however with a vintage receiver dirty vol,  balance..etc pots can mess up the sound pretty good also..   but try cleaning the rca and headphone jack and see how that goes.

post #16769 of 16769

I had, at one point, bought a goldpoint to replace the unrepairably noisy volume pot in my father's NAD receiver he had bought new in Europe. I was shocked at how much better it sounded immediately. I then learned how much difference the volume pot actually makes. I have a Technics SU-V76 I want to goldpoint and redo the wiring completely in.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners