Cheers! It deserves a good repair I reckon..too pretty for a bodge, so I'm gonna look up a decent cabinet maker & see what he/she quotes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Scott Byrer, Director of Marketing at Master & Dynamic for...
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 938post #14056 of 140581/29/15 at 1:35pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14057 of 140581/29/15 at 4:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by pedalhead
Hi guys. Well, my Luxman SQ-507X arrived today. Unfortunately, it was the victim of an idiotic delivery person. We'd popped out for a short bike ride & returned to see the box left outside the house, in plain view, in the flippin' RAIN! Not only that, but the box was clearly labelled "THIS WAY UP". No prizes for guessing which way it WASN'T up. Unsurprisingly, there's damage to the wood surround ...
Gutted, as otherwise it looks pretty decent...
I let it warm up a bit & plugged it in...phew, power light comes on. Then I tried a feed from my Geek Out & plug in some sacrificial ear buds...right channel not working . After a bit of troubleshooting, it fortunately turned out to be the 3.5mm to dual phono cable I was using...phew!
Anyway, a brief listen through my HE-560s...wow...a gobfull of power! I also had a quick listen through my Sonus Faber Walls...beautiful...although requires the attenuation switch to be enabled or the noise floor is quite high and I can only turn the knob a few mm. The pots and switches need cleaning for sure as there are some intermittent crackles and balance issues, but I can tell this is going to be rather special...
Lovely amp there!
If I were you I would open it up for a visual inspection even if it is working. That broken wood indicates a pretty rough journey. Look for loose boards and especially heavy items like transformers that might have flexed their mounts. I have a Nakamichi TA-3A that arrived doa (not a sale, so no recourse) and it took me a long time to track it down to the small transformer breaking all of its solder pads free. The dent in the back corner should have been my 1st clue. After repairing the transformer it would power up but still no sound. A couple larger resistors on main amp board were stood off the board for heat dissipation and the same thing, they had broken their solder pads free from the force of whatever hit it took. Even so, everything "looked" good from the top.post #14058 of 140581/29/15 at 4:46pm
How about a little MCS love!
Last night I changed things up a little. Normally use my Matrix M-stage w/ Fostex T50rp's in the bedroom for HP listening. But I decided to try my AKG K-400's on the MCS. Don't know why I've never tried this out before. Great synergy and way better bass with the AKG on this little 20w amp than the Matrix.
-MCS 3823 integrated amp.
-MCS 3723 tuner (both made by NEC)
-Polk Monitor 4's (early version with Peerless tweets)
-AKG K-400 with custom cable and K-701 pads.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 19 seconds ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 23 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 26 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser G4ME One (white version) 4 minutes ago
- › The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family! 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by thatBeatsguy
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3