Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 885

post #13261 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

There's a renowned former Japanese design engineer for Matshu**** (Panasonic) who spent years listening to many many parts of amps/preamps and other electronic goodies. And learned through his experience that even an IEC connector, power cord, chassis and even the selection of footers can influence an amp's sound. 

:popcorn:

Ah...choices, choices.

 

R.I.P. Ken Shindo

Founder; Design Engineer - Shindo Laboratory

 

There's no doubt he was quite the stereo guy but for many folks, there's also no doubt that suggestibility or expectation can greatly influence what we hear. 

post #13262 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post
 

I give up. I've been to maybe 11 places now and all the ones in Coburg too. I have no idea where it could be at. That stereo guy in Eugene probably got his grubby $45 hands on it anyways. Ugh I gave it a try at least. smily_headphones1.gif

In my view, the pursuit of this vintage lovely should still leave your Saturday super...you took the shot! thumbsup.gif 


Edited by Silent One - 8/16/14 at 5:07pm
post #13263 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post
 

There's no doubt he was quite the stereo guy but for many folks, there's also no doubt that suggestibility or expectation can greatly influence what we hear. 

Both of our points happily co-exist. 

post #13264 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

In my view, the pursuit of this vintage lovely should still leave your Saturday super...you took the shot! thumbsup.gif 

Yup smily_headphones1.gif
post #13265 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArby View Post


THAT is what you should spend money on. It probably sound much better and those replaced caps will be good for another 40 years. Good job.


 How many caps did you replace? Just curious.

post #13266 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

Finished the recap (minus filter caps) of my SX1250 Friday night.  Here are the results:

 

 

It sounds fantastic!


 How many caps did you have to replace? Just curious.

post #13267 of 13424

I think the total was right around 100 caps replaced.  

post #13268 of 13424
That's some impressive work there bud.
post #13269 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

That's some impressive work there bud.

 

Thanks much for the kind comments - I certainly have been rewarded for my efforts with a very nice sounding receiver.  The whole unit now seems to have an organic sound to it with lots of definition, smoothness, and punch.  I just love it.

post #13270 of 13424
Is anyone familiar with the early-eighties Sansui R-5? There's one for sale near where my girlfriend attends school for about $40 in working order, and I might jump on it when I visit her next.
post #13271 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Is anyone familiar with the early-eighties Sansui R-5? There's one for sale near where my girlfriend attends school for about $40 in working order, and I might jump on it when I visit her next.

Audio Karma is the go-to site for info about vintage stuff if you can't find out elsewhere.

post #13272 of 13424

Got my Marantz 2238B today.  Two reasons why I bought this particular model : one, like most Marantz receivers it has the "mono" option & I have the Beatles Mono Box Set; two, it's the same receiver I bought back in '79, which as I stated in an earlier post, was my first "quality" amplifier/stereo system I ever bought & I remember liking it.  

 

As I'm writing I'm listening to the "Hard Days Night" album with the mono option on, the bass at 3 o'clock, the mids at 1 o'clock, the treble at 5 o'clock & the vol. at 9 o'clock.  I'm presently using the HD600; earlier I listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with the K702.  The mono recording is centred & w/the mono option on the receiver the sound comes to the forefront & is more spread out at the same time/better soundstage.  The instruments are clear & separated.  The voices are distinct & quite nice.  Everything is balanced.  It's about what I was hoping for because the Beatles' Mono recordings are different than the stereo ones & since the emphasis on the production quality was on the mono versions when they recorded their albums (in mono until the end of 1967, Magical Mystery Tour) it's quite different to listen to them in mono on the amp/receiver. With the Fisher 500C & the Kenwood KA-8006 I can only listen to the mono albums in stereo mode.  As I've already indicated the "mono" mode on the Marantz makes a big difference to my ears anyways & I have my old amp back.  It's all good.  Love the vintage sound. :cool:

post #13273 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

Got my Marantz 2238B today.  Two reasons why I bought this particular model : one, like most Marantz receivers it has the "mono" option & I have the Beatles Mono Box Set; two, it's the same receiver I bought back in '79, which as I stated in an earlier post, was my first "quality" amplifier/stereo system I ever bought & I remember liking it.  

 

As I'm writing I'm listening to the "Hard Days Night" album with the mono option on, the bass at 3 o'clock, the mids at 1 o'clock, the treble at 5 o'clock & the vol. at 9 o'clock.  I'm presently using the HD600; earlier I listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with the K702.  The mono recording is centred & w/the mono option on the receiver the sound comes to the forefront & is more spread out at the same time/better soundstage.  The instruments are clear & separated.  The voices are distinct & quite nice.  Everything is balanced.  It's about what I was hoping for because the Beatles' Mono recordings are different than the stereo ones & since the emphasis on the production quality was on the mono versions when they recorded their albums (in mono until the end of 1967, Magical Mystery Tour) it's quite different to listen to them in mono on the amp/receiver. With the Fisher 500C & the Kenwood KA-8006 I can only listen to the mono albums in stereo mode.  As I've already indicated the "mono" mode on the Marantz makes a big difference to my ears anyways & I have my old amp back.  It's all good.  Love the vintage sound. :cool:

The 2238B is a nice one. congrats! 

post #13274 of 13424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Groucho View Post
 

Got my Marantz 2238B today.  Two reasons why I bought this particular model : one, like most Marantz receivers it has the "mono" option & I have the Beatles Mono Box Set; two, it's the same receiver I bought back in '79, which as I stated in an earlier post, was my first "quality" amplifier/stereo system I ever bought & I remember liking it.  

 

As I'm writing I'm listening to the "Hard Days Night" album with the mono option on, the bass at 3 o'clock, the mids at 1 o'clock, the treble at 5 o'clock & the vol. at 9 o'clock.  I'm presently using the HD600; earlier I listened to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with the K702.  The mono recording is centred & w/the mono option on the receiver the sound comes to the forefront & is more spread out at the same time/better soundstage.  The instruments are clear & separated.  The voices are distinct & quite nice.  Everything is balanced.  It's about what I was hoping for because the Beatles' Mono recordings are different than the stereo ones & since the emphasis on the production quality was on the mono versions when they recorded their albums (in mono until the end of 1967, Magical Mystery Tour) it's quite different to listen to them in mono on the amp/receiver. With the Fisher 500C & the Kenwood KA-8006 I can only listen to the mono albums in stereo mode.  As I've already indicated the "mono" mode on the Marantz makes a big difference to my ears anyways & I have my old amp back.  It's all good.  Love the vintage sound. :cool:

Congrats and pleased you're enjoying it buddy! 

 

How is the normal stereo sound without tone added compared to your Fisher? 

post #13275 of 13424

I was :basshead: after hearing how my "new to me" McIntosh MC2205 amp drove the HD800s.  So, I picked up a few more vintage pieces and an older DAC to cobble together a "poor man's MHA100".   :biggrin:

 

 

MC2505 50wpc amp

C31V preamp

Transporter DAC

 

This nearly 40-year old amp drives the HD800s with musical thump, full weight, rich vocals, and gobs of power.  Just awesome synergy.  These pieces are sitting on my desk, also driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 v3.  Go vintage!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners