Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 874

post #13096 of 13470

To echo Skylab's comments regarding original packaging of "monster" equipment, I purchased a Pioneer SPEC-2 power amp new from the base exchange while serving in the USAF in Germany in 1979, and it was packaged similar to how he described the SX-1980. Form-fitting Styrofoam inside a double-walled box, which was then in turn inside another double-walled box. IIRC, the inside box was the standard brown box, and the outer box was white with the Pioneer logo in blue, and other lettering in black.

 

I can say that my equipment, which also included a Pioneer SPEC-1 preamp, Pioneer CT-F1000 cassette deck, Technics SL-1600 Mk2 turntable, and JBL L110 speakers were all shipped numerous times over the years in their original packaging with absolutely no damage. Granted, most of those shipments were along with my household goods, and not by UPS, USPS, or FedEx, who don't exercise the most care when transporting any items, let alone somewhat delicate high-end audio equipment.

post #13097 of 13470



J
ust a picture of my HD800s on a random JVC R-S5 stereo receiver. My HD800s came alive. (You can also see my JDS Labs Objective2 there. My source is currently a Schiit Modi... somebody suggest an inexpensive Saber 9018 DAC!)

On another note, does anyone know the difference between the NAD 3020 and the NAD 3020e? I've heard there are different variants of the 3020, but not much info on the 3020e in specific. I've even heard some negative things abuot the 3020e compared to the other variants, like the B or or the i. (And yes, I do wish I could get my hands on a 3120!) 


Edited by Pepper - 7/30/14 at 1:47am
post #13098 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
 

Hey guys,

 

So I borrowed a JVC R-S5 vintage stereo receiver (circa 1980-81), and I plugged my HD800s into them. And they sound a million times better than out of my Objective2 amplifier. I cannot stop listening to them. The point is that I'm hooked on vintage amps now.

 

I am looking to buy a new vintage amp for my HD800s.

 

I was thinking of getting a Marantz 2245, but I've heard that the matching with the HD800s isn't that great and that I could do a lot better for the price.

 

Right now I have my eyes on a NAD 3020. Is that a good choice?

 

Are there any other recommendations? Thanks! 

 

I think I may be a lone voice on this, but it is hard to beat the sound of the old Sherwood S-**** receivers from the 70's for the price.  So far I have listened extensively to S-7110B, S-7100A, S-7200, S-7300, and S-8900A (my favorite so far and in use as my dedicated HP amp).  The 7100A is only 17WPC so efficient phones are a must - awesome sound just the same.  You may want to give them a look - highly underrated IMHO.


Edited by SpeakerBox - 7/30/14 at 6:15am
post #13099 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

 

I think I may be a lone voice on this, but it is hard to beat the sound of the old Sherwood S-**** receivers from the 70's for the price.  So far I have listened extensively to S-7110B, S-7100A, S-7200, S-7300, and S-8900A (my favorite so far and in use as my dedicated HP amp).  The 7100A is only 17WPC so efficient phones are a must - awesome sound just the same.  You may want to give them a look - highly underrated IMHO.

You are not alone. I always liked the old Sherwood receivers, too.

 

One of the vintage receivers in my small collection is the Sherwood SEL 200. GREAT tuner, very smooth sound. I'll have to try it as a headphone amp.....

post #13100 of 13470

Well I've had my Fisher 500C for more than a week now & the sound quality continues to amaze me.  It's magnificent/mesmerizing.  I've been listening to albums I've listened to for years & I'm hearing things I've never heard or noticed before.  It's a revelation.  For example I listened to the album Yellow Brick Road today & taking the song "The ballad of Danny Bailey (1909-1934), one of my favourite on the album & all of the following I do not remember hearing or hearing so clearly : mounting woosh sounds at the end of background vocals, rhythm guitar licks, occasional acoustic guitar & the distinct ping sound of the cymbals. By the way I'm using HD600 HPs and I can hear every detail, clearly without any distortion or early roll off.  The HD800 are not compatible with the 500C for some reason which will probably create some controversy to some who read this but to my ears the HD600 & HD650 sound much better with this amp than their more expensive sibling.  But I digress … the point is this amp is just awesome.  Really glad to have discovered this thread.  Hope you are all enjoying your vintage rig.  One more thing : the other aspect that I love about vintage amplifiers is the same as older cars : they look beautiful.  They have personality and you don't have to check the monicker or the brand name you know right away just by looking "oh yeah, that beauty's a Pioneer, a Marantz, a Kenwood, Hell … a Fisher 500C; same with old cars "that's a '56 Chev, a 68 Mustang Fastback, a '69 Buick, etc."  Personality, beautifully crafted & with a unique sound.  Hey y'all, it's all good ! ;) 

post #13101 of 13470
Thread Starter 
Well a few things about the 500c and hd800 pairing. One is the hd800 amping requirements are really picky. You need something transparent, with a great airy sound stage(which the 500c has), but at the same time smooth, organic(to help mask the harshness in the lower treble), and on the warmer side of neutral. So the neutrality of the 500c doesn't match well with the slightly bright hd800. The transparency of both the fisher and hd800 is out of this world and together is just too revealing. That pairing is going to reveal every single flaw. Sometimes I feel sennheiser went a little overboard with just how revealing they are, but that's also one thing many of their fans love.

I you want a vintage tube to go well with the hd800 I would highly recommend any of the x100 series fisher. Or better yet, a 400 fisher receiver, which has a lot of what the 500c has. But it also gives you that nice warm euphoric tone as well.
One last thing to add, the hd800 do require just a bit more juice than what the 500c can deliver through its headphone jack. There's a member here who has an x100b and had it modded so that the speaker taps ran directly through the headphone out(whoever did it probably just removed the resistor since the headphone out is already from the speaker taps to begin with) just so he could plug his hd800 into the headphone out. I can't remember his name off the top of my head though.
post #13102 of 13470

What do you guys think about the Onkyo A-8820 integrated amp? It's not really vintage I guess (it's only 10 years old), but I can get one in perfect shape for like 80 dollars for my T1's. I guess it's worth a try, if nothing else, it looks good, and it's designed in Germany (european model I think), made in Japan, can't be that bad. :P

 


Edited by derbigpr - 7/31/14 at 7:09am
post #13103 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Well a few things about the 500c and hd800 pairing. One is the hd800 amping requirements are really picky. You need something transparent, with a great airy sound stage(which the 500c has), but at the same time smooth, organic(to help mask the harshness in the lower treble), and on the warmer side of neutral. So the neutrality of the 500c doesn't match well with the slightly bright hd800. The transparency of both the fisher and hd800 is out of this world and together is just too revealing. That pairing is going to reveal every single flaw. Sometimes I feel sennheiser went a little overboard with just how revealing they are, but that's also one thing many of their fans love.

I you want a vintage tube to go well with the hd800 I would highly recommend any of the x100 series fisher. Or better yet, a 400 fisher receiver, which has a lot of what the 500c has. But it also gives you that nice warm euphoric tone as well.
One last thing to add, the hd800 do require just a bit more juice than what the 500c can deliver through its headphone jack. There's a member here who has an x100b and had it modded so that the speaker taps ran directly through the headphone out(whoever did it probably just removed the resistor since the headphone out is already from the speaker taps to begin with) just so he could plug his hd800 into the headphone out. I can't remember his name off the top of my head though.

Thanks moodyrn.  All excellent suggestions, but I decided to sell the HD800.  It was my second pair and to tell you the truth (I'm always somewhat leery of writing this on Head-fi ) I'm not a big fan of the HD800 properly amped or not.  Different strokes …  I'm quite happy with the HD6xx siblings.  When I add up the total cost of the Fisher & the HD6xx & the sound quality I get from that combination I believe that what I would have to spend extra to get the best out of the HD800 is not worth it in the end IMHO.  My listening preference is based on hearing detail highs & lows & I'm getting that with what I have now. I've reached a point where I've  bought & sold enough headphones & amps, of different kinds that I know exactly what I've been looking for & have finally found it. Hopefully it will be for quite a while. If I do spend in the future it would probably be for a Marantz 2238b.  From what I've read/heard about that receiver, it offers the detail I like with a bit more warmth & I'm curious to find out if the "mono" option on the amp works well with "mono" recordings, i.e. The Beatles' mono CD collection. Maybe someone who knows and reads this can share their experience as to wether or not the "mono" option on the Marantz makes a difference in sound quality for mono recordings.  Again, love this thread & I wish to all the members on this thread to find their vintage receiver Nirvana. :p 


Edited by Old Groucho - 7/31/14 at 2:23pm
post #13104 of 13470

I'll try to get pictures taken and posted soon, but I've received my SX-737 which appears to be in nearly pristine condition.  There are a few nicks and wears here and there, but we're talking measured in millimeters on the nicks, and the only wear I've seen so far besides one scrape on the bottom of the unit is some of the silver in the left corner of the frame around the FM display is worn to black.

 

Given this is my first real experience with a vintage stereo, I do have a couple questions I'd appreciate advice on.  Should I at all worry about the low and high filter switches, and as far as I can tell the loudness switch will most likely alter how balanced of a sound I get, so for anything detail oriented should that switch just be left off?  I have a feeling for bass oriented music I'll switch it on to give my HE400s that extra oomph, but anything like classical I expect avoiding it is a good idea.

 

OH  YEAH, I should totally hook up my SR-44 and see how it sounds!  I remember it has a slight channel balance issue, but that should be easily remedied.


Edited by Saoshyant - 7/31/14 at 1:36pm
post #13105 of 13470

For $80 it may be worth a try.  Probably has an Opamp instead of "direct off the amp headphone out".   Not optimal but probably still sounds good for a T1. 

post #13106 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post
 

What do you guys think about the Onkyo A-8820 integrated amp? It's not really vintage I guess (it's only 10 years old), but I can get one in perfect shape for like 80 dollars for my T1's. I guess it's worth a try, if nothing else, it looks good, and it's designed in Germany (european model I think), made in Japan, can't be that bad. :P

 

Can't beat it for $80.....

 

Have fun with your new toy.

post #13107 of 13470

 

 

I'll take more soon.

post #13108 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

For $80 it may be worth a try.  Probably has an Opamp instead of "direct off the amp headphone out".   Not optimal but probably still sounds good for a T1. 




Nope, no opamp, its fed like its supposed to be. smily_headphones1.gif
post #13109 of 13470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
 

 

 

I'll take more soon.

Ooooooooohhhh, she is a beaut !  I'm jealous. ;)

post #13110 of 13470

I'd say for $280 shipped with some internal upgrades, I'm pretty sure I got quite a good deal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners