Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 871

post #13051 of 13402
Thread Starter 

Pioneers being bright as a whole is just as much a misconception as all marantz being really warm. To me the fact that there are different sound signatures within each brand adds to their appeal and the chase. And the reason why every time I say I'm done, something on my short list comes available and I can't resist. I had said I really wanted either the ma6200 or the sa9800. I did end up scoring the ma6200 first, but I must admit that I still badly want a  9800. 

post #13052 of 13402

I would say my SX1250 is brighter than most other gear I have had in house - but not overly bright, and very detailed.  Trust me, it won't be going anywhere (and it is not even fully recapped yet - two boards to go - and the main filter caps need replacing too).  Only one piece on my short list is the 500C - who knows if I will ever get that chance.


Edited by SpeakerBox - 7/27/14 at 8:24am
post #13053 of 13402

Thanks guys for your imput much appreciated . Now where would i put it, that is the question.Like they say if theres a will theres a way 

post #13054 of 13402
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyrn View Post

Pioneers being bright as a whole is just as much a misconception as all marantz being really warm. To me the fact that there are different sound signatures within each brand adds to their appeal and the chase. And the reason why every time I say I'm done, something on my short list comes available and I can't resist. I had said I really wanted either the ma6200 or the sa9800. I did end up scoring the ma6200 first, but I must admit that I still badly want a  9800. 

Totally agree. There is nothing bright about my SX-1980. It's not voiced lush or romantic, but it's definitely not bright. If it departs from neutral I would say it's just a very slight touch warm in the lower mids.

And like you brother Moody, I also still lust after an SA-9800 biggrin.gif
post #13055 of 13402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


Totally agree. There is nothing bright about my SX-1980. It's not voiced lush or romantic, but it's definitely not bright. If it departs from neutral I would say it's just a very slight touch warm in the lower mids.

And like you brother Moody, I also still lust after an SA-9800 biggrin.gif

Not cosmetically great but maybe an option.

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-SA-9800-VINTAGE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/111408692277?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item19f079bc35

post #13056 of 13402
Thanks! But that guy is dreaming...no way he gets $750 for a unit in that condition. I would pay $750 for a fully restored one in mint condition. As has been discussed a few times in this thread, integrateds sell for much less than the receivers, oddly.
post #13057 of 13402

I paid $450 off cl for this 9800 a couple years ago and quite happy to own this piece. Looking to get it restored when finances permit.

 

 

I see people trying to get big bucks for these on ebay. In my opinion, sonically, not worth it. Now...A full restore might change my mind:D

post #13058 of 13402
Thread Starter 

Yeah with a couple of exceptions like the au-20000. It's basically the integrated version of the g9000 but fetch for a lot more. For some reason, they seam to fetch g22000 type money. It is a gorgeous amp though. As beat up as that 9800 is, I wouldn't pay half of that. I would buy a cometically mint piece of gear that didn't work before  I would buy a working beat up one. One rule of thumb...."most" of the times you can get most amps/receivers repaired. But once something is beat to hell, you can't get that back. 

post #13059 of 13402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post
 

I paid $450 off cl for this 9800 a couple years ago and quite happy to own this piece. Looking to get it restored when finances permit.

 

 

I see people trying to get big bucks for these on ebay. In my opinion, sonically, not worth it. Now...A full restore might change my mind:D

A couple of years ago, that was the going rate for them. There were two in my area for around the same price. They stayed on craigslist for a few of months. For some reason, the price of these have just exploded. And now, I'm really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. I was thinking I could get one for that price or cheaper anytime. Well....that didn't turn out to be the case. Maybe it was the thread over at ak were a few were saying it bested both the 1250 and 1280. But I do really like the topology. It's basically a class A amp without the heat. A very unique design.

post #13060 of 13402
Clay bum that one looks quite nice.

There was a really beautiful fully restored one on AK about a year ago that I just missed. Still bummed out about it.
post #13061 of 13402

Yeah, prices have exploded on these and it must be a few rave reviews. I am really curious about getting it restored and comparing it to my higher end restored units. At this point it is not quite on par. But as we all know, comparing restored units to unrestored is not fair....and I really do like the amp.

 

I have a guy in mind locally to do the work, I own a KA 8100 he restored and I believe he does good work. 

 

If I ever let it go, you 2 (Skylab and Moody) have first dibs. Perhaps an arm wrestling match to determine the winner

post #13062 of 13402
LOL! Yeah definitely give one of us first shot, that'd be grand.
post #13063 of 13402
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post
 

Yeah, prices have exploded on these and it must be a few rave reviews. I am really curious about getting it restored and comparing it to my higher end restored units. At this point it is not quite on par. But as we all know, comparing restored units to unrestored is not fair....and I really do like the amp.

 

I have a guy in mind locally to do the work, I own a KA 8100 he restored and I believe he does good work. 

 

If I ever let it go, you 2 (Skylab and Moody) have first dibs. Perhaps an arm wrestling match to determine the winner


Who and where is your local tech?  I'm in Gresham and use Doug at Audio Specialties or the guy over at Fred's Sound of Music (was the only guy who could figure out my Spec 2 amp problem).  And where are YOU located? 

post #13064 of 13402

Hey Guys,  my sansui G9000 db plays fine with 8 ohm B&W bookshelf speakers but goes into protection with my 6.3 ohm HPM 1500. 

Would this simply be a bias and /or dc offset issue or might I be looking at something else?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

post #13065 of 13402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 


Who and where is your local tech?  I'm in Gresham and use Doug at Audio Specialties or the guy over at Fred's Sound of Music (was the only guy who could figure out my Spec 2 amp problem).  And where are YOU located? 

I'm in Eugene and for general maintenance I go to Jim's Electronics in Eugene. The guy I need to email about a recap of my 9800 is someone I met thru ebay. He works at the U of O and is a hobbyist who has sold many recapped vintage pioneer, sansui and kenwood integrated on ebay. Not sure he will even have time to accommodate me.  I have never heard of Fred's Sound of Music. Glad they could fix your spec situation. 


Edited by claybum - 7/27/14 at 3:21pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners