So true! Lots of fun to see and hear about the goodies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
I have 50 hours active listening and another 150 passive/occasional on these. Equipment: Ragnarok, Gungnir, Sony CD 5 CD tray, Senn HD-600 set up for balanced Listen to Yes ('15 Remix,...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 863
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12932 of 169987/14/14 at 12:09pm
Absolutely! Sometimes when I peruse Head-Fi, I get the feeling some members might be apprehensive about making similar contributions. Perhaps, out of fear their eval won't be accurate enough, technical enough. In my view, I'd simply like to hear more about personal experiences our members have inside their listening rooms. How one plays around and experiment with gear could prove fascinating.post #12933 of 169987/14/14 at 12:24pm
Do any of you ever find yourself enjoying your vintage gear more than your high-end stuff? There is just something about vintage that is so much fun!
The look and feel, the build quality, and the warm enveloping sound to name a few.
Edited by SpeakerBox - 7/14/14 at 12:28pmpost #12934 of 169987/14/14 at 12:35pmpost #12935 of 169987/14/14 at 12:59pmQuote:
Then you have the best of both worlds!post #12936 of 169987/14/14 at 2:45pmQuote:
Very regularly, actually. My vintage rig gets used much more than my high end rig, which I assembled over a decade before I got into vintage. I simply like listening to music more on the vintage rig, although I enjoy my high end system as well.post #12937 of 169987/14/14 at 5:24pm
To gain some space on my desk I have been thinking of selling my Sansui amp for one of the newer headphone amps out now like the Oppo HA 1 or Teac HA 501. I wonder how they would compare. Maybe I will buy one and do a comparison. I still have a Luxman set in the living room so I would not be completely deserting the vintage sound.
Edited by mr.khali - 7/14/14 at 5:32pmpost #12938 of 169987/14/14 at 9:36pmQuote:
My listening time at home is divided almost equally between the SX-1980 and an el-cheapo tube amp. I've more expensive gear that objectively performs much better (certainly than the tube amp) but price and accuracy don't seem to be determining factors for enjoyment.post #12939 of 169987/15/14 at 5:35amQuote:
Agree 100%post #12940 of 169987/15/14 at 5:37amQuote:
I am finding this to be the case with me also - although the high-end gear won't be going anywhere any time soon.post #12941 of 169987/15/14 at 5:46ampost #12942 of 169987/15/14 at 1:25pmpost #12943 of 169987/15/14 at 1:30pmpost #12944 of 169987/15/14 at 3:00pmIts me and my NAD again. I want to thank LugBug for his input on the amp and ultimately convincing me to get it for my HD800. Something has changed 100%.
Heres the story. I didn't like the amp, it wasn't good with any of the headphones I own. I even left it about 30 hours playing non stop with headphones plugged in.
Then I connected the amp to speakers, an older Wharfedale Modus One that were never playing on nominal level, either too low (I listen to music on low level when I go to sleep) or on too high level (used it on a couple parties). After a couple minutes I was scratching my head why does it sound better on these mediocre speakers but so bad on high end HD800. I left it play with speakers for a couple hours until I connected HD800 again. Wow. So good. Exactly what I wanted to hear - energy, no brightness, huge level of detail (very surprising) and meaty bass! I didn't get this kind of bass from any headphone amp I own. Not a hollow bass presentation but actual speaker type bass! What has happened? I don't know. The transformer is connected to headphones and maybe more power that drove the speakers made the amp alive? It could also be the fact that i had opened the amp and dusted it just before I connected it to speakers.
I don't know but I know I have found the perfect amp for my HD800. With these I never had problems with brightness but the bass was never satisfactory and the sound was too hollow.
Very happy and Low level feature is very nice, eliminates channel imbalance and for a change its nice to go past 10 o'clock rather than trying desperately to avoid channel imbalance at 7 o'clock. Now off to try to find a vintage TDA1541 DAC.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 4 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 5 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private 7 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 12 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 13 minutes ago
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear