So true! Lots of fun to see and hear about the goodies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Looking for earbuds can be kind of a nightmare. So many players in the game, so much variety in terms of sound, design, features, and price. I don't want to spend a lot of money since they're used...
I've been into vinyl previously but in the mid-90's, sold my high end VPI table and never looked back. I ended up recently with a bunch of new records and nothing to play them on, and decided to...
About Me: I prefer IEMs over full size because of portability and comfort, though I have owned and own a a couple full size cans. I am a 29 year old music lover, i listen to all genres from R&B to...
Campfire Audio Andromeda: Crown jewel of the Campfire fleet Introduction First, a disclaimer: I purchased the Andromeda ($1099USD) with my own money after doing my own research and thus...
Bluedio kindly sent me their 8-driver UFO bluetooth headphones in red for review - and boy I’m glad they did. Packaging Like all of their higher priced bluetooth models, the UFO’s come...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 863
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12932 of 165267/14/14 at 12:09pm
Absolutely! Sometimes when I peruse Head-Fi, I get the feeling some members might be apprehensive about making similar contributions. Perhaps, out of fear their eval won't be accurate enough, technical enough. In my view, I'd simply like to hear more about personal experiences our members have inside their listening rooms. How one plays around and experiment with gear could prove fascinating.post #12933 of 165267/14/14 at 12:24pm
Do any of you ever find yourself enjoying your vintage gear more than your high-end stuff? There is just something about vintage that is so much fun!
The look and feel, the build quality, and the warm enveloping sound to name a few.
Edited by SpeakerBox - 7/14/14 at 12:28pmpost #12934 of 165267/14/14 at 12:35pmpost #12935 of 165267/14/14 at 12:59pmQuote:
Then you have the best of both worlds!post #12936 of 165267/14/14 at 2:45pmQuote:
Very regularly, actually. My vintage rig gets used much more than my high end rig, which I assembled over a decade before I got into vintage. I simply like listening to music more on the vintage rig, although I enjoy my high end system as well.post #12937 of 165267/14/14 at 5:24pm
To gain some space on my desk I have been thinking of selling my Sansui amp for one of the newer headphone amps out now like the Oppo HA 1 or Teac HA 501. I wonder how they would compare. Maybe I will buy one and do a comparison. I still have a Luxman set in the living room so I would not be completely deserting the vintage sound.
Edited by mr.khali - 7/14/14 at 5:32pmpost #12938 of 165267/14/14 at 9:36pmQuote:
My listening time at home is divided almost equally between the SX-1980 and an el-cheapo tube amp. I've more expensive gear that objectively performs much better (certainly than the tube amp) but price and accuracy don't seem to be determining factors for enjoyment.post #12939 of 165267/15/14 at 5:35amQuote:
Agree 100%post #12940 of 165267/15/14 at 5:37amQuote:
I am finding this to be the case with me also - although the high-end gear won't be going anywhere any time soon.post #12941 of 165267/15/14 at 5:46ampost #12942 of 165267/15/14 at 1:25pmpost #12943 of 165267/15/14 at 1:30pmpost #12944 of 165267/15/14 at 3:00pmIts me and my NAD again. I want to thank LugBug for his input on the amp and ultimately convincing me to get it for my HD800. Something has changed 100%.
Heres the story. I didn't like the amp, it wasn't good with any of the headphones I own. I even left it about 30 hours playing non stop with headphones plugged in.
Then I connected the amp to speakers, an older Wharfedale Modus One that were never playing on nominal level, either too low (I listen to music on low level when I go to sleep) or on too high level (used it on a couple parties). After a couple minutes I was scratching my head why does it sound better on these mediocre speakers but so bad on high end HD800. I left it play with speakers for a couple hours until I connected HD800 again. Wow. So good. Exactly what I wanted to hear - energy, no brightness, huge level of detail (very surprising) and meaty bass! I didn't get this kind of bass from any headphone amp I own. Not a hollow bass presentation but actual speaker type bass! What has happened? I don't know. The transformer is connected to headphones and maybe more power that drove the speakers made the amp alive? It could also be the fact that i had opened the amp and dusted it just before I connected it to speakers.
I don't know but I know I have found the perfect amp for my HD800. With these I never had problems with brightness but the bass was never satisfactory and the sound was too hollow.
Very happy and Low level feature is very nice, eliminates channel imbalance and for a change its nice to go past 10 o'clock rather than trying desperately to avoid channel imbalance at 7 o'clock. Now off to try to find a vintage TDA1541 DAC.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 41 seconds ago
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 2 minutes ago
- › Boom for IOS - Proprietary Virtual Surround App for the iPhone/iPad 2 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 4 minutes ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews 4 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 4 minutes ago
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by earfonia
- › Monoprice Premium 8323 Hi-Fi DJ Style Over-the-Ear Pro Headphone by 93EXCivic
- › LEAR LHF-AE1d hybrid fit earphones by mark2410
- › Edifier Rave MP700 by dnun8086
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Brooko
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...