So true! Lots of fun to see and hear about the goodies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The completely wireless Axgio Dash seems to be a pair of $49 Apple Airpod killer. I was skeptical at first. The Dash arrived in a small, simple no frills box. It looks exactly like the packaging...
*I was provided a review sample by iFi for the Black Label tour* iFi Micro iDSD BLACK LABEL Packaging and Build Quality The iDSD Black Label came packaged in a sturdy, well presented...
There are a few brands that could be considered a powerhouse in the world of audio and headphones and beyerdynamic is without a doubt one of them. beyerdynamic has been family owned since...
REVIEWER INTRODUCTION First of all, I want to introduce my gear while writing this review. I'm using my AKG K612 PRO headphone with my Fiio X3 2nd Gen dedicated DAP. Currently I don't own any...
Preamble Whilst I have been an audio enthusiast for many years now, I must admit I have never really been all that interested in using any kind of esoteric cables with my systems. I have always...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 863
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12932 of 168307/14/14 at 12:09pm
Absolutely! Sometimes when I peruse Head-Fi, I get the feeling some members might be apprehensive about making similar contributions. Perhaps, out of fear their eval won't be accurate enough, technical enough. In my view, I'd simply like to hear more about personal experiences our members have inside their listening rooms. How one plays around and experiment with gear could prove fascinating.post #12933 of 168307/14/14 at 12:24pm
Do any of you ever find yourself enjoying your vintage gear more than your high-end stuff? There is just something about vintage that is so much fun!
The look and feel, the build quality, and the warm enveloping sound to name a few.
Edited by SpeakerBox - 7/14/14 at 12:28pmpost #12934 of 168307/14/14 at 12:35pmpost #12935 of 168307/14/14 at 12:59pmQuote:
Then you have the best of both worlds!post #12936 of 168307/14/14 at 2:45pmQuote:
Very regularly, actually. My vintage rig gets used much more than my high end rig, which I assembled over a decade before I got into vintage. I simply like listening to music more on the vintage rig, although I enjoy my high end system as well.post #12937 of 168307/14/14 at 5:24pm
To gain some space on my desk I have been thinking of selling my Sansui amp for one of the newer headphone amps out now like the Oppo HA 1 or Teac HA 501. I wonder how they would compare. Maybe I will buy one and do a comparison. I still have a Luxman set in the living room so I would not be completely deserting the vintage sound.
Edited by mr.khali - 7/14/14 at 5:32pmpost #12938 of 168307/14/14 at 9:36pmQuote:
My listening time at home is divided almost equally between the SX-1980 and an el-cheapo tube amp. I've more expensive gear that objectively performs much better (certainly than the tube amp) but price and accuracy don't seem to be determining factors for enjoyment.post #12939 of 168307/15/14 at 5:35amQuote:
Agree 100%post #12940 of 168307/15/14 at 5:37amQuote:
I am finding this to be the case with me also - although the high-end gear won't be going anywhere any time soon.post #12941 of 168307/15/14 at 5:46ampost #12942 of 168307/15/14 at 1:25pmpost #12943 of 168307/15/14 at 1:30pmpost #12944 of 168307/15/14 at 3:00pmIts me and my NAD again. I want to thank LugBug for his input on the amp and ultimately convincing me to get it for my HD800. Something has changed 100%.
Heres the story. I didn't like the amp, it wasn't good with any of the headphones I own. I even left it about 30 hours playing non stop with headphones plugged in.
Then I connected the amp to speakers, an older Wharfedale Modus One that were never playing on nominal level, either too low (I listen to music on low level when I go to sleep) or on too high level (used it on a couple parties). After a couple minutes I was scratching my head why does it sound better on these mediocre speakers but so bad on high end HD800. I left it play with speakers for a couple hours until I connected HD800 again. Wow. So good. Exactly what I wanted to hear - energy, no brightness, huge level of detail (very surprising) and meaty bass! I didn't get this kind of bass from any headphone amp I own. Not a hollow bass presentation but actual speaker type bass! What has happened? I don't know. The transformer is connected to headphones and maybe more power that drove the speakers made the amp alive? It could also be the fact that i had opened the amp and dusted it just before I connected it to speakers.
I don't know but I know I have found the perfect amp for my HD800. With these I never had problems with brightness but the bass was never satisfactory and the sound was too hollow.
Very happy and Low level feature is very nice, eliminates channel imbalance and for a change its nice to go past 10 o'clock rather than trying desperately to avoid channel imbalance at 7 o'clock. Now off to try to find a vintage TDA1541 DAC.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 second ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 17 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 45 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 47 seconds ago
- › Optoma NuForce, FiiO - E10K Olympus, or Audioquest DragonFly Black? 1 minute ago
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears - Introducing "ARTHUR" , [USA & Europe... 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos,... 3 minutes ago
- › What book are you reading right now? 4 minutes ago
- › Official X1 2nd gen stable firmware discussion thread--version 1.5.3 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman Edition X 4 minutes ago
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Mustainized
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by Peddler
- › Brainwavz B100 Balanced Armature Earphone by HiFiChris
- › Campfire Audio Lyra II by alffla
- › Kingston Headset KHX-H3CL/WR HyperX Cloud Headset Black Retail by tproc
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by tproc
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5 by NCSUZoSo
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear