or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 843

post #12631 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

verde57, by chance you have a Technics SA-1000? If so, throw us some pix!

:popcorn:

No, I don't have one because I was focusing in integrates... and still do

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

 

 

This model came to an end around year 2000 - the last product still bearing Technics badge was 1210 turntable, finally discontinued a few years ago.

 

 Try to ship the SA-1000 to another continent - shipping alone would exceed what most people are prepared to pay for stereo today.

 

There are 100 kg + power amps on the market today, with performance to match - at a price most of us can not even start swearing about....

By the way the SL1200 will go into production again, because of demand.

To ship 40kg and in good health overseas is a crazy stunt, I can't even think too such a thing.

Around 1500$ was the Technics SA-1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post


Some things that come to mind: heatsinks, wood panels, bigger size since there is a tuner built in as well.

It's not just that, the receivers were much powerful,  double in fact, over 300W!!! with one trafo!

My vintage integrated has two trannies and just around 90W at  a total around 15kg... can you imagine how is to hold in your hands just one transformer at 12kg(Technics sa1000)!! crazy, it is like talking about Bugatti's Veyron compared to pedestrian cars!

 

By the way, does anybody use the tuner feature in receivers? does it hold against new digital tuners?


Edited by verde57 - 6/3/14 at 2:37pm
post #12632 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by verde57 View Post
 

No, I don't have one because I was focusing in integrates... and still do

By the way the SL1200 will go into production again, because of demand.

To ship 40kg and in good health overseas is a crazy stunt, I can't even think too such a thing.

Around 1500$ was the Technics SA-1000.

It's not just that, the receivers were much powerful,  double in fact, over 300W!!! with one trafo!

My vintage integrated has two trannies and just around 90W at  a total around 15kg... can you imagine how is to hold in your hands just one transformer at 12kg(Technics sa1000)!! crazy, it is like talking about Bugatti's Veyron compared to pedestrian cars!

 

By the way, does anybody use the tuner feature in receivers? does it hold against new digital tuners?

 

A few months ago I commented that I hadn't listened to FM in about 5 years.  Since I got a couple of good deals on a Realistic and Hitachi tuner, and now my SX-1050, I find myself listening to FM more and more since I found a classic rock station here in Portland.  Still prefer hitting the AUX switch and listening to Pandora or a CD, or for sure vinyl, but FM is useful to me.  And my Pioneer tuner without an antenna can pull in my local stations...............so I'd say they can compete with the digital tuners. 

post #12633 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by verde57 View Post
 

No, I don't have one because I was focusing in integrates... and still do

By the way the SL1200 will go into production again, because of demand.

To ship 40kg and in good health overseas is a crazy stunt, I can't even think too such a thing.

Around 1500$ was the Technics SA-1000.

It's not just that, the receivers were much powerful,  double in fact, over 300W!!! with one trafo!

My vintage integrated has two trannies and just around 90W at around 15kg... can you imagine how is to hold in your hands just one transformer at 12kg(Technics sa1000)!! crazy, it is like talking about Bugatti's Veyron compared to pedestrian cars!

 

By the way, does anybody use the tuner feature? does it hold against new digital tuners?

I have seen SA-1000 once in one of our now defunct vintage stores - he/she/it is out of this world, after all these years it will make you utter that:  WOW .... !

 

For some reason, manufacturers chose to make the pis...ng match with high powered receivers. Back in the day, I *think* only Rotel had a comparable/even more powerful power amp. 

 

Analog vs digital tuner - tough one. Depends what you are looking for. If it is sound quality from a relatively strong signal without adjacent strong stations, analog usually has the upper hand. If you would kill to hear that

favourite show of yours from a station over-the-horizon squeezed in between two powerful local stations - digital usually wins. There are exception$$$$$$$ to this basic rule ... 

 

Just a reminder for the US readers - in Europe, FM stations are two times less apart in frequency than in US - meaning selectivity is far more important than in US. The likes of Sequerra, under conditions it was designed for stellar tuner, generally just does not cut it in Europe. One tuner that impressed me the most was Tandberg 3020 with multiple selectivity bandwidth ( the crazy high spec machine that needs re-aligning about every six months/a year at the factory, the reason it was modified to 3020A, which traded some of the turbo high spec ( channel separation of 70 dB reduced to "just" 60 dB ) for stability over time ) - but since this is a receiver thread, Tandberg receivers, although anything but powerhouses, were decent and praised for the tuner part. 

 

Tuner, fed with a proper signal ( antenna on a rotator ) , is still the best sound source one can possibly have outside the studio. Think well done live transmissions done in analog - rare, on the verge of getting extinct -

but sweet.

post #12634 of 16760

I am really fond of my tuners. I use analogue tuners exclusively. I haven't found a digital tuner that will catch as much as finely as a nice hand turned knob. I also like looking at them, haha. I'm sure the specs speak for themselves, but the MR-78 can capture damn near anything, no matter how many other loud signals are around it. The sx-1980 sounds fantastic and is almost as sensitive, which is high praise for an integrated receiver tuner.

post #12635 of 16760
Thread Starter 
Also keep in mind, all integrates are not the same. There were monster integrates as well. The thing is, there were just a lot more receiver models produced vs integrates. For example, a kenwood ka 907 weighs almost 60lbs. It's also very conservatively rated at 150wpc, and sounded more powerful than the sx1280 I had. The au9500 weighs (over 50lbs) slightly more than the marantz 2325 I use to own and it's only rated at 70wpc.

The marantz 1200 integrated I'm currently working on is also very heavy and equally well built. And these are just a few examples of integrates I personally to owned. I hadn't even mention the au 20000 which is even more monsterous than the ka 907. There were many monster integrates too. But the receivers were built in much higher quantities and the monster class integrates are much more rare and hard to find.
post #12636 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
 

I am really fond of my tuners. I use analogue tuners exclusively. I haven't found a digital tuner that will catch as much as finely as a nice hand turned knob. I also like looking at them, haha. I'm sure the specs speak for themselves, but the MR-78 can capture damn near anything, no matter how many other loud signals are around it. The sx-1980 sounds fantastic and is almost as sensitive, which is high praise for an integrated receiver tuner.

MR78 is one of the few exception$$$$$$ - one of the best tuners ever; but I have yet to  have the pleasure to audition it. These mods are highly regarded - in case MR78 in stock form is not "enough"  http://www.audioclassics.com/mods.php3

 

We have a saying here : Almost never catches a rabbit.

 

I also have Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner, which is probably (?) comparable to the one in SX-1980 - correct me if I am wrong, did not go comparing specs for the two. Not bad at all - save for selectivity that forces me to switch to digital tuner(s). I kinda like my classical music broadcast better with somewhat reduced sheer audio quality than having to endure subdued boom&sizzle way down in the "mix" from adjacent strong local pop/whatever station. 

 

Wish I could afford MR 78, though ! Practical approximation of best of both worlds ... combined :beerchug:.

post #12637 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

MR78 is one of the few exception$$$$$$ - one of the best tuners ever; but I have yet to  have the pleasure to audition it. These mods are highly regarded - in case MR78 in stock form is not "enough"  http://www.audioclassics.com/mods.php3

 

We have a saying here : Almost never catches a rabbit.

 

I also have Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner, which is probably (?) comparable to the one in SX-1980 - correct me if I am wrong, did not go comparing specs for the two. Not bad at all - save for selectivity that forces me to switch to digital tuner(s). I kinda like my classical music broadcast better with somewhat reduced sheer audio quality than having to endure subdued boom&sizzle way down in the "mix" from adjacent strong local pop/whatever station. 

 

Wish I could afford MR 78, though ! Practical approximation of best of both worlds ... combined :beerchug:.

Man, those mods look fantastic, but at about 2x what I paid for the tuner, those mods are out of reach. It's a great tuner, no doubt about it.

post #12638 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post

 

Tuner, fed with a proper signal ( antenna on a rotator ) , is still the best sound source one can possibly have outside the studio. Think well done live transmissions done in analog - rare, on the verge of getting extinct -

but sweet.

 

100% agree.  As I have mentioned previously in this thread I have a Kenwood KT-7550 with all the mods (and then some) recommended at www.fmtunerinfo.com.  It is the centerpiece of my main audio system.  No CD player I have yet auditioned can touch it.  We have a great Jazz station here in Rochester NY which brings out the best in my tuner.

post #12639 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

 

100% agree.  As I have mentioned previously in this thread I have a Kenwood KT-7550 with all the mods (and then some) recommended at www.fmtunerinfo.com.  It is the centerpiece of my main audio system.  No CD player I have yet auditioned can touch it.  We have a great Jazz station here in Rochester NY which brings out the best in my tuner.

Any kind of recorder connected to that tuna :wink: ?

post #12640 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogsurviver View Post
 

Any kind of recorder connected to that tuna :wink: ?

 

Not yet - but am looking into it.  Occasionally I miss some of the programs I want to hear.  The Nakamichi RX-505 is one I am thinking about as it has auto reverse (done the right way), is based on technology from the Dragon, and could record a 2 hour program for me.

post #12641 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

 

Not yet - but am looking into it.  Occasionally I miss some of the programs I want to hear.  The Nakamichi RX-505 is one I am thinking about as it has auto reverse (done the right way), is based on technology from the Dragon, and could record a 2 hour program for me.

Ohh - the *joys* of analog recording. I started recording to analog cassette - and the most above royal size PITA was getting the info from musicians HOW LONG is their programme. You could ask any hot dog seller and get equaly competent answer ... - save for one bright exception ( in a decade ... ) . And damn tape would always

end a couple of seconds before the end of the music - it was nerve racking experience, to say the least. Longingly remembered C-64 and C-45 tapes available once upon a time... Naka seems to have the best solution to this tape duration problem. 

 

Fast Forward to 2014 - DSD recorders. Best of both worlds - sound next to indistigushable from best of (WELL calibrated/adjusted ) analog and convinience of digital.

But I admit to use Korg MR-1 DSD recorder to record FM mostly in - MP3. There is a show called European Classical Nocturno being broadcast from midnight to 6 in the morning - many interesting/new performers I discovered while listening to these MP3s later during daytime. But for serious recording I use DSD128 capability on Korg MR 1000.

 

Digital audio has its own *joys* - with which I am at the moment fed to the neck. Therapy ?

 

A recording session with absolutely ZERO digital - not even cell phone in sight ...

post #12642 of 16760

I like to keep as much digital stuff out of my music as possible - hate class D amps.  But am guessing I am in the minority.

post #12643 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

I like to keep as much digital stuff out of my music as possible - hate class D amps.  But am guessing I am in the minority.

Heart is with you, mind overseeing the wallet has sometimes to make - ahem - "allowances" :evil:.

 

100% with you regarding class D amps. Better decent silence than crappy reproduction !

post #12644 of 16760

It is interesting that a while back even Jeff Rowland experimented with switching amps, and even more notable that he has since abandoned that effort.  I love the sound of my 20+ year old Rowland Model 1s (pure class A).

post #12645 of 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakerBox View Post
 

It is interesting that a while back even Jeff Rowland experimented with switching amps, and even more notable that he has since abandoned that effort.  I love the sound of my 20+ year old Rowland Model 1s (pure class A).

Nothing like pure class A. Problem is heat ( comfy in the winter, useless in hot summer ) - and electricity is unfortunately no longer as inexpensive as it used to be.

One can hardly be called "green" if running a class A power amp of any real world power.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners