Nice find. Congrats!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 3/31/11 at 8:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is my second attempt at a review of the Brainwavz S5, my first attempt ended up in the bin yesterday, as I was looking at it from the wrong angle (some forum members wanted a comparison to...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 827post #12391 of 131024/25/14 at 9:30am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12392 of 131024/25/14 at 11:24amQuote:
I'm reusing the photo, but man do I love that blue dial!post #12393 of 131024/25/14 at 12:11pmI like my NAd 701 it has 0.03 THD and is really smooth with a nice black background. But sometimes I want something more lively and extra punchy. Mine hits hard but I want something to compliment it even a bit more edgy/harsh.I guess I better look at pioneers or realistic.post #12394 of 131024/25/14 at 12:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by grizzlybeast
I like my NAd 701 it has 0.03 THD and is really smooth with a nice black background. But sometimes I want something more lively and extra punchy. Mine hits hard but I want something to compliment it even a bit more edgy/harsh.I guess I better look at pioneers or realistic.
My SA 508 (SA 5800 US version) is a nice compliment to the NAD sound. A very balanced sound (typical Pioneer) but defo more lively than the typical NAD. Not as dark and it has a more brightly lit treble. They look stunning as well with all silver and blue display. You won't get the completely black backround however depending on phones used.
I would also look into early Technics if you want livelier as well.post #12395 of 131024/25/14 at 7:46pm
Wow I didn't think anyone would defend realistic. I know it must be better than the new crap we are stuck with today though. Well there is a place downtown Hermiston, OR that has 2 or 3 Realistic receivers but they all looked like crap. he had a big black face one that he wanted $125 for he also has lots of 70's tuners but none of them look very good. the best he had was a Kenwood KT-8300 and I bought it awhile ago. Strange with all those tuners, he has zero amps to go with them.post #12396 of 131024/25/14 at 8:25pm
Well I am still on the hunt for a technics but I better slow my freakin role as i just bought a rotel rx60 today and dont want to waste my headphone money on em like I just did.post #12397 of 131024/25/14 at 9:23pmQuote:
There's a badass Technics on CL too............SA-5460 (65 WPC) for $240. Sounds high........
And two very badass Pioneer integrated amps. SA-9500 and SA-801. Gorgeous and high power.
Where did you find the Rotel?
Edited by Oregonian - 4/25/14 at 9:28pmpost #12398 of 131024/25/14 at 11:06pmeBay: )
The guy at the store says he charges 95bucks for a tune up. When compared to me paying $47 for the unit it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I don't know what it takes to deox them etc but sheesh maybe that's normal I dunno.post #12399 of 131024/25/14 at 11:45pmpost #12400 of 131024/26/14 at 3:34am
No, but I sure would like to :)
Any high end 70's Technics are worth snapping up imo. But they are rare and with this comes a high price. The SA-1000 was $1700 in 1978post #12401 of 131024/26/14 at 5:40amQuote:
Deoxit treatment is easy. I'm on an iPad so can't easily put the link up but on Audiokarma there's a thread on how to do it.post #12402 of 131024/26/14 at 8:32ampost #12403 of 131024/26/14 at 8:48am
Don't even mention Rotel to me, My guy I buy from had an RX 1603, just cherry, for 400 bucks and I passed on it because my wife was with me(she gave me that why do you need another one look). It was an absolute beast. Gave him a call last week and it was gone. I see one on EBay right now......sigh.post #12404 of 131024/26/14 at 9:23am
@Oregonian I wonder what his tune up includes I will look into it! He has got to stay in business though.
Quote:Originally Posted by Fearless1
Don't even mention Rotel to me, My guy I buy from had an RX 1603, just cherry, for 400 bucks and I passed on it because my wife was with me(she gave me that why do you need another one look). It was an absolute beast. Gave him a call last week and it was gone. I see one on EBay right now......sigh.
yeah that thing looks like a freaking BEAST whoah. end game receiver status. I cant do those for a few reasons:
- i just use the headphone out
- live in an apartment
- not tryin to go toooo big
I do wonder how their hp outs would compare to some of these <1k audiophile amp rip offs though.(speaking emotionally rather than rationally)
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end... 9 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics,... 12 seconds ago
- › Q701 impressions thread 20 seconds ago
- › ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread 25 seconds ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014:... 1 minute ago
- › Home Audiophile Setup Advise Required 2 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 3 minutes ago
- › Need a Place to test headphones on Long Island... 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Duncan
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)