- 3,111 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Location: Portland, OR
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Soundmagic E80 was purchased by me from Penon Audio. I’m not in any way affiliated with Penon Audio or Soundmagic. The price was $69 when I bought them and this is where I ordered them...
(note: pictures included are not mine, I grabbed them from the net to make the article easier to read) I've had these for well over a year and used them at least 5 days-a-week during that...
Many thanks to Brooko for arranging this tour unit Pros: External Playlists: Pretty much my number one priority after sound, this took some fiddling to get working from my Mac/iTunes but I...
At the time of the review, the Venture Electronics Zen was on sale on the company’s Aliexpress store. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Lumia 640 LTE I never owned a portable device (apart from a Sony Walkman in the 80's) because I never felt the use of it. Just out of curiosity, not expecting much, I plugged my Sony MDR-Z7 in my...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 826post #12376 of 147894/23/14 at 1:16pmDoes anyone know if the vintage realistic receivers are any good?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12377 of 147894/23/14 at 1:17pmQuote:
He's had that 850 forever hasn't he? or does he just keep putting that model out? I sure wish he still had that Kenwood KA-8300 that I saw last time I was there. Would've finally got the matching amp to my KT-8300.
Better get 'em before someone else does if you want them! They always stack up you know... :Ppost #12378 of 147894/23/14 at 1:18pmQuote:
I'm sure someone will say they are decent but no... nobody wanted Realistic when it was new!post #12379 of 147894/23/14 at 1:25pmQuote:
Very underrated and they ARE good. I have one in my office at work that is a great headphone amp. It's the STA-64B (very low power) and is immaculate, good looking and sounds great.post #12380 of 147894/23/14 at 1:31pmQuote:
I passed up a STA-2000 and I kick myself every time I think about it. I think they guy was asking $200 and it was in mint condition.post #12381 of 147894/23/14 at 1:31pm
There's a shop here with several Realistic receiver's and several kenwood tuners. none of those Realistic's looked any good though.
He had a HK 730 for $50 I've kicked myself for years for not getting.post #12382 of 147894/23/14 at 2:28pmQuote:
Yes - what Oregonian said!
They might not have had the looks of the others, but performance-wise some of them were top notch.
The thing to remember about Radio Shack products is that a lot of their stuff was made by the big companies, just rebadged.
Edited by af0h - 4/23/14 at 2:30pmpost #12383 of 147894/23/14 at 3:54pmpost #12384 of 147894/23/14 at 7:08pmQuote:
That depends, if you like low distortion, low prices, good build quality, modern sounding tonality, conservative power ratings, and unlimited bandwidth, then yes, they're very good.
If you want a nice badge, then no.
I have a STA-2000D and it's able to hold it's own pretty well with my better known TOTL hifi items. I also got my friend a nice 30 watt realistic as his first vintage receiver and he practically wept at the sound quality of the thing (it was not mindblowing, but he was upgrading from computer speakers haha).
I think the average price I see for a realistic is $35, with a lot going for $15. In that price range, they are best value by far. Maybe the secret will get out, but I doubt they will ever outlive the stigma of being store-brand.post #12385 of 147894/23/14 at 7:21pmpost #12386 of 147894/23/14 at 9:14pm
well the one I was looking at was a STA-235 and is selling for 75 bucks.. I dont know where you guys are getting these 15dollar receivers from. If I found those I would have ten of em in one week literally. I look on craigslist everywhere.
That particular model I read about said that it was worth skipping over but the one you guys have and mentioned was good.post #12387 of 147894/24/14 at 12:54amQuote:
RS was smart enough to go OEM...post #12388 of 147894/24/14 at 12:59amQuote:Originally Posted by Oregonian
I like Marantz's look, like Sansui's G-series look.................but the Pioneer silver face look is so classy and clean to my eyes it makes me go into a trance. Almost bought a SX-850 the other day just based on the looks! I've never liked the blacked out look on any series of any manufacturer but Marantz pulls it off the best. This is just gorgeous............and in person is mesmerizing.
As with headphones and women, to each their own...............
Yes, yes Pioneer Silver faced receivers do look classy. But I find the Sansui G-series faces to trance my glance as well.post #12389 of 147894/24/14 at 3:43ampost #12390 of 147894/25/14 at 8:36amQuote:
I've got the STA-2000D, and it's a monster. Rated at 75 wpc at 8 ohms, but it delivers closer to 90 RMS. It's a very lively, punchy amp, similar to the Pioneer SX-850 I would say. Pairs well with my KG 5.2s (and my Mach Ones when I still had them). Easily the best $100 I've spent on audio
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Music Game IX 39 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 2 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO Releases EX1 Aerospace Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Is this a good soundcard? 4 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 5 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by Mediahound
- › Soundmagic E80 in-ear monitor headphone by peter123
- › Sennheiser HD8 DJ On Ear Headphones by LAmitchell
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ade_hall
- › VE Zen by Hisoundfi
- › Lumia 640 LTE RM-1072 Black - Factory Unlocked - International... by Mink
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by whitemass
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by eke2k6
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by Skylarke
- › Heaven VII by peter123
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3