None while I transition into the Labor force.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Wow is the first word that popped into my mind after putting on these IEMs. Dunu has outdone themselves again. SOUND These are quite possibly the best IEMs I have ever listened to. These...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 819post #12271 of 168874/9/14 at 7:20am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12272 of 168874/9/14 at 10:59ampost #12273 of 168874/9/14 at 11:25am
I am also a fan of the vintage receivers I own a Kenwood KR 6030 and an Akai AA-A45 that I have had for many years. I've replaced the output I/C's in the Akai twice .Surprisingly they are still fairly inexpensive and available.post #12274 of 168874/9/14 at 11:41amQuote:
I'm looking forward to going back to work at some point and earn but, the thought of scouring the EARTH for the fantastic four will be daunting!
(Sansui G-33/22000; Pioneer 1980; Marantz 2600; Technics SA-1000)post #12275 of 168874/9/14 at 11:51amQuote:
You have come to the right place. Many of us are refurbishing and restoring pieces we have had for many years and those recently acquired. A great hobby with great sonic payback!post #12276 of 168874/9/14 at 8:49pm
I am curious about vintage preamps. Have any of you tried to compare them with vintage receivers or integrateds? My thought process is that they might have lower output impedance but still enough power for the majority of headphones.post #12277 of 168874/9/14 at 11:26pmQuote:
It's really a hit and miss pairing up a specific headphone to a vintage receivers. Sometimes they pair good, sometimes not so well, sometimes it's "WOW that schiit is badass!"
For instance: My Audio Technica's and Senns pairs up well with Marantz 2230 but horrible MD and Beyers. My vintage pioneer receiver goes well with my DT880's but not so hot with A/T and Senns. My Sansui's are great with everything I have except DT880's. "Get my drift?" It's really a hit and miss.
So I know which to go to when I pick up a certain headphone.post #12278 of 168874/9/14 at 11:43pmQuote:
Yes, I've often wondered how these would pair with headphones. In general would a stand alone vintage preamp have enough juice for modern headphones if not hooked up to a power amp?
Anyone? :)post #12279 of 168874/10/14 at 2:43pm
I used an inexpensive Dynaco PAT-4 for awhile, and it paired extremely well with Orthos, but not so much with high-impedance dynamic cans. Any low-impedance, high-sensitivity cans were beyond consideration because of static noise concerns, but the PAT-4 really made my Mad Dog LCD-2 sing.post #12280 of 168874/11/14 at 10:08amThread StarterI just received a marantz 1200b that was a parts repair unit. I may have overpaid a bit, but if I can get it working it would be worth it to me. It was described as having no sound. Usually that's nothing major. I also noticed that there were no preamp/amp jumpers in the back, and unlike the marantz receivers, they are needed on this one. But then I thought, well what if the seller is aware of that and purposely removed them to trick the potential buyer that was all they needed. Well I don't know if that's what he intended, but as soon as I turned it on, I realized that it needed more than jumpers since it never came out of protection.
The reasons I decided to pull the trigger on this one is the fact it's fairly rare, good condition cosmetically, and also came with a wc 10 cab. It's also a combination of a 3300 preamp and 250 power amp and is rumored that they sound much more accurate than their receiver. So time will tell. I'm really hoping its relay problem. But after narrowing the problem down, I do plan to fully restore it though. I read on many occasions a 1200/1200b restored is something to behold.post #12281 of 168874/11/14 at 10:41ampost #12282 of 168874/11/14 at 11:16amThread StarterThanks!!
Well good and bad news on the relay front. The relay is unobtainium. The good news is, there's an omron relay that can be rewired internally and modded by clipping off some pins and bending the remaining pins. But upon initial inspection, someone either tried or did a bad job of removing the relay board. A very shotty job of soldering. The half axx job they did left some strands of wire exposed and touching other strands of wire from wires next to them. So I'm hoping there's no further damage. This is a good example of why many repair men refuse to go behind someone else's work.post #12283 of 168874/11/14 at 12:19pm
Good luck with the 1200b moody!
I've never come across one at my neck of the woods, but I'm guessing that they would cost about an average months wage if one did.. The higher end Marantz are becoming stupidly expensive this side of the Atlantic.
Heres an old promo pic for the viewers out there :)post #12284 of 168874/11/14 at 1:22pmThread StarterThanks. They are pretty rare over here too. The 1200 is also rare, but not quiet as rare as the B version though. I will say I'm pretty impressed with the build quality. It's on another level from both the 2325 and 2330b I used to own. It pretty much falls in line in comparison to what they say over at ak about the early marantz integrated. The consensus is they are even better than the early mac integrateds. Mcintosh didn't really get serious with integrateds until the 6200. Now that's a really nice one that's on my short list.post #12285 of 168874/11/14 at 1:53pm
Nice job Moody. So many great finds from you!
I had this guy follow me home recently. It lived in my back room until I got around to cleaning it up. Now I'm just waiting for the deoxit to dry.
It's a Realistic 2000D. I think Realistics tend to be overlooked in general, but their vintage units tend to have a build & sonic quality far above average on their better (and even lower end) models, which can be found at bargain prices in the used market. While I doubt that this guy will be able to compete with the monsters in my main and secondary rigs, I'm hoping it will compete well above it's weight class. If it does well, I'll probably farm it out to a friend after having my fun with it.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Neutrality/Fidelity, Detail, and Passable Build Quality 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535 LE Sound Bad 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio E07k Enough to Power the 250 ohm DT 990 Pro? DT990 or AKG 550? 6 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 8 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 8 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 9 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear