- 107 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Dayton, Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/16/15 at 12:05pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
If you want a natural sound with realistic vocals and soundstage, tight bass, sparkling highs without being fatigued, and a headphone who can reveal the true quality of the recorded music, and...
you know the original price of this one, a rock solid $100. can you feel it ? yees, there's a bad review is coming... let's take a look at what brainwavz says for it's own product, one thing comes...
FOREWARD: as a relatively new user to head-fi, i dont expect many of you to take my review seriously. however, although i'm new to POSTING on this site, i've been an audiophile and a lurker of this...
Color! Because I feel in the mood for it. No, not really, this is just for the comparison. So, Red, & Green? Red - Not For Me. Green - Solid, & something I personally like. Comparison is...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank LH Labs for providing me with a review sample of GeekOut in exchange for my honest opinion. I thought I was done with my round of portable USB...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 809post #12121 of 143383/22/14 at 7:56amI don't really have the room or need for the jbl 4311b. Guess I'll be keeping my 950 since its the best sounding receiver I have right now. :-)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12122 of 143383/22/14 at 1:07pm
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.post #12123 of 143383/22/14 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by henree
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.
Just be careful. See if the expected input is 2.5v max vs 1.5/1v max. If the headphone amp is putting out too much voltage, you could burn out your power amp.post #12124 of 143383/25/14 at 7:06ampost #12125 of 143383/25/14 at 7:17ampost #12126 of 143383/25/14 at 10:07ampost #12127 of 143383/25/14 at 11:45amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wow. What a collection. Wonder what he wants for it. Deal or top dollar? Hour and a half road trip...perfect!post #12128 of 143383/25/14 at 12:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wish I lived in Utica....................or actually, glad I live 3000 miles away! What a collection!post #12129 of 143383/25/14 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #12130 of 143383/25/14 at 6:12pmpost #12131 of 143383/25/14 at 6:30pm
Its really addictive i just bought a WA2 ,and a couple days later there was this gorgeous Quad 306 , i actually ask the guy for infos but fortunatly for me lol he never replied to my email i guess it was sold ,intead i went crazy on tubes, man here we go again !post #12132 of 143383/25/14 at 6:42pmpost #12133 of 143383/25/14 at 6:53pmpost #12134 of 143383/25/14 at 10:56pmpost #12135 of 143383/26/14 at 2:03amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning. Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound. This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there. Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now. Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.
Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board. Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.
Very happy with how it sounds so far:
THE way to go ! Specially about those ghastly sounding and unreliable tantalum caps - THE FIRST thing to go chez moi are always tantalums ...
If such/similar job is done thoroughly, the amp (receiver in this case) can be considered to go in one's heritage - film caps last more than a lifetime - and get better with age to boot !
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 14 seconds ago
- › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread 39 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Starting Point Systems portable NOS DAC 2 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 5 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival 5 minutes ago
- › Gustard Amplifiers and DACs 6 minutes ago
- › No balanced! WHY?!! 7 minutes ago
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by ExCelciuS
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by vaziyetu
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2