- 94 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Dayton, Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300. I enjoyed the mids, which...
Not quite a review but thought I'd quote my recent observations. Quote: Originally Posted by Rob80b Well the K712s showed up, just doing some preliminary comparison with my K701s with the...
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 809post #12121 of 132913/22/14 at 7:56amI don't really have the room or need for the jbl 4311b. Guess I'll be keeping my 950 since its the best sounding receiver I have right now. :-)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12122 of 132913/22/14 at 1:07pm
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.post #12123 of 132913/22/14 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by henree
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.
Just be careful. See if the expected input is 2.5v max vs 1.5/1v max. If the headphone amp is putting out too much voltage, you could burn out your power amp.post #12124 of 132913/25/14 at 7:06ampost #12125 of 132913/25/14 at 7:17ampost #12126 of 132913/25/14 at 10:07ampost #12127 of 132913/25/14 at 11:45amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wow. What a collection. Wonder what he wants for it. Deal or top dollar? Hour and a half road trip...perfect!post #12128 of 132913/25/14 at 12:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wish I lived in Utica....................or actually, glad I live 3000 miles away! What a collection!post #12129 of 132913/25/14 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #12130 of 132913/25/14 at 6:12pmpost #12131 of 132913/25/14 at 6:30pm
Its really addictive i just bought a WA2 ,and a couple days later there was this gorgeous Quad 306 , i actually ask the guy for infos but fortunatly for me lol he never replied to my email i guess it was sold ,intead i went crazy on tubes, man here we go again !post #12132 of 132913/25/14 at 6:42pmpost #12133 of 132913/25/14 at 6:53pmpost #12134 of 132913/25/14 at 10:56pmpost #12135 of 132913/26/14 at 2:03amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning. Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound. This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there. Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now. Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.
Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board. Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.
Very happy with how it sounds so far:
THE way to go ! Specially about those ghastly sounding and unreliable tantalum caps - THE FIRST thing to go chez moi are always tantalums ...
If such/similar job is done thoroughly, the amp (receiver in this case) can be considered to go in one's heritage - film caps last more than a lifetime - and get better with age to boot !
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › FS: Sennheiser HD-600s (needs new pads/foam) 15 seconds ago
- › Uplifting Trance reccomendations 1 minute ago
- › Book recommendation? 1 minute ago
- › Closed Headphones that Sound like HD650? 2 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 7 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 9 minutes ago
- › ~3 years passed, iem broken, debating between buying same pair or... 9 minutes ago
- › Long awaited Smyth SVS Realiser NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE 10 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum by MacroPower
- › AKG K712 Pro by Rob80b
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)