- 110 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Dayton, Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 809post #12121 of 149163/22/14 at 7:56amI don't really have the room or need for the jbl 4311b. Guess I'll be keeping my 950 since its the best sounding receiver I have right now. :-)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12122 of 149163/22/14 at 1:07pm
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.post #12123 of 149163/22/14 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by henree
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.
Just be careful. See if the expected input is 2.5v max vs 1.5/1v max. If the headphone amp is putting out too much voltage, you could burn out your power amp.post #12124 of 149163/25/14 at 7:06ampost #12125 of 149163/25/14 at 7:17ampost #12126 of 149163/25/14 at 10:07ampost #12127 of 149163/25/14 at 11:45amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wow. What a collection. Wonder what he wants for it. Deal or top dollar? Hour and a half road trip...perfect!post #12128 of 149163/25/14 at 12:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wish I lived in Utica....................or actually, glad I live 3000 miles away! What a collection!post #12129 of 149163/25/14 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #12130 of 149163/25/14 at 6:12pmpost #12131 of 149163/25/14 at 6:30pm
Its really addictive i just bought a WA2 ,and a couple days later there was this gorgeous Quad 306 , i actually ask the guy for infos but fortunatly for me lol he never replied to my email i guess it was sold ,intead i went crazy on tubes, man here we go again !post #12132 of 149163/25/14 at 6:42pmpost #12133 of 149163/25/14 at 6:53pmpost #12134 of 149163/25/14 at 10:56pmpost #12135 of 149163/26/14 at 2:03amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning. Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound. This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there. Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now. Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.
Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board. Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.
Very happy with how it sounds so far:
THE way to go ! Specially about those ghastly sounding and unreliable tantalum caps - THE FIRST thing to go chez moi are always tantalums ...
If such/similar job is done thoroughly, the amp (receiver in this case) can be considered to go in one's heritage - film caps last more than a lifetime - and get better with age to boot !
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › B&W P7 Recable... 30 seconds ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900X Thread. :) 1 minute ago
- › Ultrasone Signature Pro!!! Mint 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 4 minutes ago
- › Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the... 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2