- 107 Posts. Joined 1/2011
- Location: Dayton, Ohio
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Purchased this system off of Ebay. Overall very good sound, impressive sound output with powerful bass response, at its price point ($250} I think it is the system to beat, the satellites sound...
I got these from Amazon. Truth be told, I was a bit skeptical due to lack of reviews at the time (positive or negative). But I was ordering my Crossfade LPs [they good or bad, is an entirely...
These have been a real dream to listen to. They have a really good range of sound not artificial sounding at all. They have have as a matter fact excellent tremble. They don't pull the mids to...
Ok! Point number 1: horrible button layout! Point number 2: excellent sound quality! The stock theme is badly designed. EDIT: There are custom themes that make the player look much...
I’ve had my Dragon Inspire IHA-1 now for a sufficient time period to post my thoughts. I will use a subjective 5 point scoring system. Setup: Power Conditioning: Blue Circle...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 809post #12121 of 139193/22/14 at 7:56amI don't really have the room or need for the jbl 4311b. Guess I'll be keeping my 950 since its the best sounding receiver I have right now. :-)
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #12122 of 139193/22/14 at 1:07pm
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.post #12123 of 139193/22/14 at 3:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by henree
Was wondering if it is bad to use a headphone amp (Matrix) as a preout to a Marantz 2220 receiver? I thought the bass was a little too much. So I experimented with this chain. And suprisingly it tightened the bass and increased the soundstage. But I still get that Marantz richness and warmth. I use Denon d7000 headphones low impedance. I just don't want to damage my hearing using two amps together.
Just be careful. See if the expected input is 2.5v max vs 1.5/1v max. If the headphone amp is putting out too much voltage, you could burn out your power amp.post #12124 of 139193/25/14 at 7:06ampost #12125 of 139193/25/14 at 7:17ampost #12126 of 139193/25/14 at 10:07ampost #12127 of 139193/25/14 at 11:45amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wow. What a collection. Wonder what he wants for it. Deal or top dollar? Hour and a half road trip...perfect!post #12128 of 139193/25/14 at 12:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
About an hour and a half from me:
Trying to resist....
Wish I lived in Utica....................or actually, glad I live 3000 miles away! What a collection!post #12129 of 139193/25/14 at 2:39pmThread Starterpost #12130 of 139193/25/14 at 6:12pmpost #12131 of 139193/25/14 at 6:30pm
Its really addictive i just bought a WA2 ,and a couple days later there was this gorgeous Quad 306 , i actually ask the guy for infos but fortunatly for me lol he never replied to my email i guess it was sold ,intead i went crazy on tubes, man here we go again !post #12132 of 139193/25/14 at 6:42pmpost #12133 of 139193/25/14 at 6:53pmpost #12134 of 139193/25/14 at 10:56pmpost #12135 of 139193/26/14 at 2:03amQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
Well - so far I have recapped, replaced the relay, and cleaned the pins on the protection board. Also recapped the filter amp (just 1 cap), control amp, the flat amp, and did some cleaning. Used film caps where ever I could to improve the sound. This especially helped with the control amp where all the EQ is done - many caps there. Immense improvement in sound when using the tone controls now. Also eliminating all tantalum caps as I go - they tend to sound harsh - and tend to fail.
Still to go: stabilizer board, L/R output boards, tuner board, phono board, power supply board. Going to have to order some parts as my inventory is drying up.
Very happy with how it sounds so far:
THE way to go ! Specially about those ghastly sounding and unreliable tantalum caps - THE FIRST thing to go chez moi are always tantalums ...
If such/similar job is done thoroughly, the amp (receiver in this case) can be considered to go in one's heritage - film caps last more than a lifetime - and get better with age to boot !
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 seconds ago
- › Superlux Express Train 21 seconds ago
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 37 seconds ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 41 seconds ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 45 seconds ago
- › Is it better to leave the headphones plugged in or out during non... 51 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Modi USB DAC 1 minute ago
- › Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-Power 2.1 PC Speaker System... by Croozer
- › V-MODA Bass Freq Metal In-Ear Noise-Isolating Headphone (Gunmetal... by atkhan
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by Ragingfighter
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by hstubc
- › Inspire by Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Version by BlakeT
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by JoeDoe
- › Koss RUK 30K Noise Isolating In-Ear Stereophone, Black by ajlan
- › Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi by Ataka
- › Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset by TsukiNick
- › SHOZY Alien DAP by AudioGG
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)