+1 the finish on the cabinet looks great!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Hi Head-Fi’ers! I’ve waited quite a bit long to use SuperMini and obtain its possible rival players at the same time (like Sony A15 and the new A35). I came across SuperMini a few months ago,...
Introduction Sennheiser HD800S is the successor to HD800 - one of the greatest headphones ever made. HD800 was the first headphone to actually WOW me hard...
Hello fellow head-fi members Welcome to the review of Advanced Evo X Sports Wireless In-ear Monitors. Disclaimer This were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
Weston W80 Review Disclaimer: The W80 was loaned to me by the local distributor www.samma3a.com - I have to return it, I have not received any incentive, financial or otherwise for this...
Meant to be married to the OL DAC, the O2 headphone amp matches it in shape, size and simplicity. What’s neat about the O2 is that JDS Labs allows for some simple customizations—you can choose...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 756post #11326 of 168861/5/14 at 7:23am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11327 of 168861/5/14 at 7:50ampost #11328 of 168861/5/14 at 11:23ampost #11329 of 168861/5/14 at 12:13pm
I was linked to this thread to ask this question. I am going to buy the Senn HD650's in about a day, and I was wondering if my receiver would function as a DAC/AMP. I am mainly just worried about needing to buy a DAC, as I know the amplification is fine as it powers my Beyer dt 770s a lot better than my little FiiO e06 which powers it fine. I am basically just wondering if I need to get a DAC now. I will only use the headphones when I am in the vicinity of my receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V375BL 500 mW 5.1 stereo receiver. Thanks for the help.post #11330 of 168861/5/14 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kosley
I was linked to this thread to ask this question. I am going to buy the Senn HD650's in about a day, and I was wondering if my receiver would function as a DAC/AMP. I am mainly just worried about needing to buy a DAC, as I know the amplification is fine as it powers my Beyer dt 770s a lot better than my little FiiO e06 which powers it fine. I am basically just wondering if I need to get a DAC now. I will only use the headphones when I am in the vicinity of my receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V375BL 500 mW 5.1 stereo receiver. Thanks for the help.
the yamaha will come with a dac, the question is how good is it.post #11331 of 168861/5/14 at 12:39pmpost #11332 of 168861/5/14 at 1:05pm
You can listen to it and determine how good it sounds.
It's not just the DAC but how the headphone amp is designed that will determine whether your receiver is a good match for your cans.
The only way to know is to try it. If it doesn't sound good you can get a different amp DAC or even feed a better headphone amp from your receiver.post #11333 of 168861/5/14 at 1:21pm
My experience with the basic Dolby Digital receivers is that the DACs are generally not very good. In addition, and depending on the model, the DAC may only work on a Dolby Digital data stream. In other words Stereo/PCM may not be recognized at all (I had an outboard Yamaha DD processor where this was the case). Just something to be aware of.post #11334 of 168861/5/14 at 1:26pmpost #11335 of 168861/5/14 at 2:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
My experience with the basic Dolby Digital receivers is that the DACs are generally not very good. In addition, and depending on the model, the DAC may only work on a Dolby Digital data stream. In other words Stereo/PCM may not be recognized at all (I had an outboard Yamaha DD processor where this was the case). Just something to be aware of.
I had a Kawasaki unit once that had a decent DAC and could do Dolby settings as well as 2-channel, but if you lost the remote you couldn't change any of the output settings because the actual unit only had about five buttons on it. It's not perpetually stuck in 5.1 because I have no idea where the remote is, and my bedroom setup that I intended to put it back into service for is 2-channel.post #11336 of 168861/5/14 at 11:40pmpost #11337 of 168861/7/14 at 8:20ampost #11338 of 168861/7/14 at 9:49ampost #11339 of 168861/7/14 at 11:11am
Cool. I've got one of those kicking around the back room. I think it has either a bad voltage regulator in the output or a bad protection circuit, as it only works about 5 min until it shuts off. Just looked at it again, NAD 5100 preamp/CD player, 7100 amp. I don't think it has been properly played in a decade...post #11340 of 168861/7/14 at 12:05pm
You're right.............way too quiet. So I'll add a recent photo of my main system and the changes I've made. I used to feed it digitally with an iPod Touch direct out of it into the aux input..............what was I thinking? I got an old laptop hooked up to a FiiO D5 DAC (not optimal but much better than an iPod) feeding it iTunes/Pandora/Spotify. Much better sound quality.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 29 seconds ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 53 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Parasound zdac reviews? 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 2 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by gprs007
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by glassmonkey
- › JDS Labs OL DAC by SoundApprentice
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear