+1 the finish on the cabinet looks great!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The Sony MDR-EX1000 is truly a legendary IEM but in a world of its own. Not even the latest XBA, or XBA hybrid Z series could rival its intimidating large single-dynamic driver setup. (my EX1000...
I had the opportunity to listen to this at length against some other similar priced gears. After pairing my device, it magically struck me WOW! As I tried a number of music tracks , it...
I managed to try this MDR-Ma900 against others in the same shop. The comfort and ergonomics of this Sony are very good. Initially, I was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded. But...
I tried this twice with different devices. It sounds pretty good with big bass sounds and probably suit a lot of youngsters today. Many very young people that I know prefer Beats or something...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 756post #11326 of 140591/5/14 at 7:23am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11327 of 140591/5/14 at 7:50ampost #11328 of 140591/5/14 at 11:23ampost #11329 of 140591/5/14 at 12:13pm
I was linked to this thread to ask this question. I am going to buy the Senn HD650's in about a day, and I was wondering if my receiver would function as a DAC/AMP. I am mainly just worried about needing to buy a DAC, as I know the amplification is fine as it powers my Beyer dt 770s a lot better than my little FiiO e06 which powers it fine. I am basically just wondering if I need to get a DAC now. I will only use the headphones when I am in the vicinity of my receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V375BL 500 mW 5.1 stereo receiver. Thanks for the help.post #11330 of 140591/5/14 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Kosley
I was linked to this thread to ask this question. I am going to buy the Senn HD650's in about a day, and I was wondering if my receiver would function as a DAC/AMP. I am mainly just worried about needing to buy a DAC, as I know the amplification is fine as it powers my Beyer dt 770s a lot better than my little FiiO e06 which powers it fine. I am basically just wondering if I need to get a DAC now. I will only use the headphones when I am in the vicinity of my receiver. I have a Yamaha RX-V375BL 500 mW 5.1 stereo receiver. Thanks for the help.
the yamaha will come with a dac, the question is how good is it.post #11331 of 140591/5/14 at 12:39pmpost #11332 of 140591/5/14 at 1:05pm
You can listen to it and determine how good it sounds.
It's not just the DAC but how the headphone amp is designed that will determine whether your receiver is a good match for your cans.
The only way to know is to try it. If it doesn't sound good you can get a different amp DAC or even feed a better headphone amp from your receiver.post #11333 of 140591/5/14 at 1:21pm
My experience with the basic Dolby Digital receivers is that the DACs are generally not very good. In addition, and depending on the model, the DAC may only work on a Dolby Digital data stream. In other words Stereo/PCM may not be recognized at all (I had an outboard Yamaha DD processor where this was the case). Just something to be aware of.post #11334 of 140591/5/14 at 1:26pmpost #11335 of 140591/5/14 at 2:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by SpeakerBox
My experience with the basic Dolby Digital receivers is that the DACs are generally not very good. In addition, and depending on the model, the DAC may only work on a Dolby Digital data stream. In other words Stereo/PCM may not be recognized at all (I had an outboard Yamaha DD processor where this was the case). Just something to be aware of.
I had a Kawasaki unit once that had a decent DAC and could do Dolby settings as well as 2-channel, but if you lost the remote you couldn't change any of the output settings because the actual unit only had about five buttons on it. It's not perpetually stuck in 5.1 because I have no idea where the remote is, and my bedroom setup that I intended to put it back into service for is 2-channel.post #11336 of 140591/5/14 at 11:40pmpost #11337 of 140591/7/14 at 8:20ampost #11338 of 140591/7/14 at 9:49ampost #11339 of 140591/7/14 at 11:11am
Cool. I've got one of those kicking around the back room. I think it has either a bad voltage regulator in the output or a bad protection circuit, as it only works about 5 min until it shuts off. Just looked at it again, NAD 5100 preamp/CD player, 7100 amp. I don't think it has been properly played in a decade...post #11340 of 140591/7/14 at 12:05pm
You're right.............way too quiet. So I'll add a recent photo of my main system and the changes I've made. I used to feed it digitally with an iPod Touch direct out of it into the aux input..............what was I thinking? I got an old laptop hooked up to a FiiO D5 DAC (not optimal but much better than an iPod) feeding it iTunes/Pandora/Spotify. Much better sound quality.
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Need advice. What to buy? just now
- › FiiO Mont Blanc/E12 portable headphone amp, 880mW, slim design,... 4 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 14 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 15 seconds ago
- › Grado Bits 17 seconds ago
- › Icon Audio HP8/MP 3 34 seconds ago
- › Arizona Head-Fi Meet: January 24th 2015 - Impressions Thread 52 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by stuartfang
- › Parrot Zik 2.0, the world's most advanced headphones -... by johnKenneth
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by johnKenneth
- › Xtreme Xplosives On Ear by johnKenneth
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3