Good call dodging the 400. Not that it's not excellent. But it is to the x100 series what the 500c is the the x200 series. It's very warm and euphoric sounding. That signature does have many fans with myself being one of them, but it's not in the same league as the other fisher receivers. Also, good call dodging the B series. The B and C are very different sounding.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 5/29/13 at 3:37pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 750post #11236 of 1350712/26/13 at 4:29pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11237 of 1350712/26/13 at 4:58pmRight. In the end it was really only a choice between the 500c and 800c with a big preference for the small lettering version for the dial glass.
LED upgrade is probably also in the future. The stock incandescents look a little dim.post #11238 of 1350712/26/13 at 7:06pmThread Starterpost #11239 of 1350712/26/13 at 7:28pm
Someone is pushin' a 500c just down the highway from me. Posted 2 months ago. She/He won't ship - local pick-up only. Though, I could drive down and investigate I suppose if one of our own here were seriously interested.post #11240 of 1350712/26/13 at 8:09pmThread StarterWow! Original box, manual, and cosmetically mint too? Although it hadn't been restored, that 700.00 price isn't too bad. That cabinet looks new almost and would fetch a few hundred by itself. A good refurb job, and that thing will easily fetch 2500 on ebay.post #11241 of 1350712/26/13 at 9:40pmQuote:
I thought about it overnight - eventually fell asleep without drawing any conclusion. Only because I don't know what's fair market value. Your reply gives me something to work with. This amp could prove a worthy backup.
If someone were to break-in and take all the slick & shiny stuff, the 500-C would likely get left behind and I could still have quality listening sessions.post #11242 of 1350712/26/13 at 10:34pm
I have been away from Head-fi for some time now. But coming back to this thread lt's like nothing changed for the last 30 years.
I was actually considering selling my vintage rig ( sx1250 restored and serviced by Howard at Audio Specialist and matching HPM 100's recapped by me). But then we recently moved into a place with a better sounding space and I am now hesitating. its amazing how much the room makes a difference with speakers (but you all know that) I guess that is why I like headphones so much.post #11243 of 1350712/26/13 at 11:10pm
Looking good sluker!
You're just the cat I've been meaning to chat with!!! I need "Greater L.A." audio repair connections for future work done. I see your cat is in Studio City. I'm looking for a good shop on either side the 405 between Santa Monica & Long Beach (all the communities in between).
Like Turntable repair/maintenance work, vintage receivers and so on.
Edited by Silent One - 12/26/13 at 11:16pmpost #11244 of 1350712/27/13 at 3:32ampost #11245 of 1350712/27/13 at 5:51am
Yes, nice shots and setup sluker!! You are certainly right about the space and room acoustics. My room situation in simple terms...it's awful. That's why I end up using my hp's most of the time. But one day I'll be in a better place where I'll have the ultimate mancave and listening area. Finished basement is the way to go.post #11246 of 1350712/28/13 at 4:15amOh man! I cannot believe I have not run into this thread until now! That has taken care of what to do at my inlaws over Christmas! Up to p123 lol. I see soem difficult conversations coming up with my wife thanks to you lot!
Wishing you a prosperous 2014 (so we can all buy more head-fi stuff of course!)post #11247 of 1350712/28/13 at 5:40amQuote:Originally Posted by pytter
Oh man! I cannot believe I have not run into this thread until now! That has taken care of what to do at my inlaws over Christmas! Up to p123 lol. I see soem difficult conversations coming up with my wife thanks to you lot!
Wishing you a prosperous 2014 (so we can all buy more head-fi stuff of course!)
Wait... how difficult can the conversation be if you show her photographs of vintage lovelies?post #11248 of 1350712/29/13 at 7:27pmpost #11249 of 1350712/29/13 at 7:56pm
That looks really nice. Can't wait to hear your opinion. Have yet to own a Sony of any vintage.post #11250 of 1350712/29/13 at 10:56pm
So excited, you forgot to leave us the tracking number so we can watch!
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › CTC Audio Product Tours - Reviewers Wanted! 16 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 34 seconds ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 49 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 52 seconds ago
- › Blue Jeans Cable Ultrasonically-Welded RCA Interconnects 1 minute ago
- › FS: AudioPoutine cDAC+ (super ODAC) 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)