Great score!! Can you put in a good word for me? I'm expecting squat for xmas.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 3/15/11
- brandGradotagged by System, 8/19/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 6/8/11
- brandKenwoodtagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandMarantztagged by System, 2/16/11
- brandPioneertagged by System, 3/1/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/19/11
- brandStaxtagged by System, 2/16/11
Related Forum Threads
- Using full sized integrated amp Last post on 4/26/15 at 6:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class D Amp with AKG K1000 Last post on 10/8/11 at 7:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- What makes a good headphone? Last post on 3/31/14 at 8:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Are there any headphone amps that also work well with speakers? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:56pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Low-gain solid-state companion to my 12AU7 SSMH? Last post on 8/16/14 at 1:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 12/30/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
1. Introduction The Prophile-8, a 8 balanced armature in-ear monitor, is the new flagship from well-established German brand In-ear. So far the brand had an offering going from 2 to 4 driver...
Video Review It's not unusual to find a headphone or IEM manufacturer to branch out into making their own amps, and then their own cables, but Ken Ball is one of two people who have gone in...
Warm, good sounding player with no harshness. Spacious and natural sound. Easy to listen for long time without any fatigue. Fiio x5 II sounds more neutral and analytical with harshness on upper...
Introduction: I love music and I love good quality sound and this is my hobby. I prefer to find the best portable setups available as I do not like to be stationary. I do not want to be...
INTRO:- When Brainwavz decides to Launch earphones they don’t release one at a time, they like to launch 2-5 earphones in a short period of time. First the M100, first of its kind or say...
Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 747post #11191 of 1683812/22/13 at 6:33am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #11192 of 1683812/22/13 at 6:37ampost #11193 of 1683812/22/13 at 10:09ampost #11194 of 1683812/22/13 at 10:28ampost #11195 of 1683812/22/13 at 10:55am
Yes, I know that one but my question is - when I click on the "insert image" icon on my post a dialog box comes up asking me for a url. I have two jpeg files (pictures) to up-load and there seems to be no way to point to their location on my hard drive. So what does that dialog box asking for a url mean???post #11196 of 1683812/22/13 at 11:13amQuote:Originally Posted by Frank18944
Yes, I know that one but my question is - when I click on the "insert image" icon on my post a dialog box comes up asking me for a url. I have two jpeg files (pictures) to up-load and there seems to be no way to point to their location on my hard drive. So what does that dialog box asking for a url mean???
click upload file on toppost #11197 of 1683812/22/13 at 12:34pm
I don't see anything that says "upload file".............on top of what?? There's an icon that says "insert image" on top of this reply window but I don't see anything that says "upload file"
Sorry, I must be blindpost #11198 of 1683812/22/13 at 1:02pmQuote:
Click on "insert image" icon. When the little screen pops up there should be a grey box in the top left hand corner with "upload files" inside. Click on that box and you can browse through your hard drive for pics. Choose a file/pic and then click "open" at the bottom. You'll have the option of 3 different sizes. Choose the largest one and then click upload. :)post #11199 of 1683812/22/13 at 2:09pm
Wow, that worked - thank you LugBug. The first picture is the Marantz 2250B RCVR that I'm restoring. It's a work in progress right now. But even as it stands the headphone audio is excellent. There's no dedicated HP amp inside, just resistor coupling from the output of the power amps to the headphone jack so you hear the entire audio chain.
The picture below is of my favorite restoration - a vintage early 70's Sansui 5000A rcvr. When it first came out I lusted after it for a year before I saved up enough money to buy one. It was my start on the path to high end audio. I remember the day I sold it back in the early 90's and regretted it ever since. So thanks to ebay I have one again. This one is complete with the exception of some mods I want to do on the power amp boards. When I converted the incandescent display lighting to LED's I used about 20 high flux pure white LED's in total. I really wanted to light it up since the stock lighting was pretty dim. For both rcvr's I designed adjustable regulated supplies for the LEDs so I can vary the intensity with an internal adjustment. The topology for headphone output is same as the Marantz - resistor coupling from output of the power amps to headphone jacks. Even though the Sansui is my favorite rcvr, the HP audio, to me, isn't as transparent as the Marantz. I attribute this one to the difference in FM tuner and Stereo multiplex decoders between the two rcvr's. I've only listened to FM audio, have not yet run any higher resolution sources through either radio yet.
So that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
All the best,
(ARS W3MEE)post #11200 of 1683812/22/13 at 5:37pmpost #11201 of 1683812/22/13 at 6:30pmQuote:
Very nice pix. Thanks for not giving up and sharing...post #11202 of 1683812/22/13 at 6:39pm
What...there's no way you were as good as me this year!
I'm going to have words with Santa if he shows up...
Edited by parbaked - 12/22/13 at 6:40pmpost #11203 of 1683812/22/13 at 7:34pmQuote:Originally Posted by kstuart
So it turns out that my recapped Sansui AU-417 had distortion in the right channel. I contacted the seller, and he had me try Deoxit (and I also did a DC offset check), but no joy. So, he had me send it back to him (it turns out that he does the recapping & glue cleanup himself as a hobby - his feedback is full of various AU-x17 amps).
He received it and he reports that it was a broken solder joint. When he re-soldered the joint, the distortion went away. He readjusted the DC offset and bias and has shipped it back to me.
So, the morale(s):
* If you are looking to fix an audio problem in vintage electronics, be sure to look for bad or broken solder joints.
* Shipping of old gear is liable to shake something loose.
And it is cool that the guy wanted to stand behind his work...
I'm not sure whether you would have heard this news or not, but Butch (the gent who restored your amp) sadly passed away about a month ago.
Please continue to enjoy your amp, knowing that you're listening to a piece of gear that was lovingly worked on by a true gentleman and vintage audio enthusiast :)post #11204 of 1683812/22/13 at 7:48pm
- Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 55 seconds ago
- › Upcoming DAP from xDuoo - the X10! 59 seconds ago
- › FS: ETYMOTICS 4PT WITH ALL ORIGINAL PACKAGING *MINT* 1 minute ago
- › Embed crossfeed while ripping 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 2 minutes ago
- › Blue Announces Ella, Sadie and Satellite Headphones @ CES 2017 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 3 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 3 minutes ago
- › Output of Dragonfly Red vs Onkyo DP-X1 DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi Multibit by Trogdor
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by Mimouille
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear