Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 744

post #11146 of 13505
Welcome! And feel free to post pix of your vintage gear.
post #11147 of 13505
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post
 

 

And to keep this post on topic I will say.......my Sansui G9000db is a friggin rockin beast. I love it:biggrin: !!!!

It's definitely the best vintage solid state receiver I've listened to, and beat many well regarded intergrates I've had in my house too. It wasn't far behind the mac using the preamp from my stage dac. I did miss it until receiving my c39 preamp yesterday. Now I hardly even think about it. If a restored one comes up for a good price, I quickly grab it though. It's the only solid state receiver I'll ever buy again. Well.......probably. You know how that goes.:D 


Edited by moodyrn - 12/20/13 at 8:58am
post #11148 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank18944 View Post
 

 

 

Anyway, thought I'd chime in - Happy Holidays to everyone and Blessings to you and your families.

 

Frank

+1 on the welcome :beerchug: If you love vintage this is the right place.

 

Though I'm surprised you like the sound of the Marantz over the Sansui? Could be the stereotypical bright Sony headphones perhaps..? :D 

post #11149 of 13505

whether I use my Grado 125i, AKG K701, or Sennheiser HD580 the verdict is the same - the Marantz 2250B sounds better to me. I attribute most of the difference in sound between the Sansui 5000A & Marantz 2250B to the differences in FM tuners and stereo demultiplexing circuits. I make my comments based on listening to FM Stereo broadcasts. I've yet to compare the receivers using a CD or high resolution source, or turntable through just the audio sections.

 

I think it's always interesting how we judge headphones differently. I wouldn't consider the SONY MDR7506 to be bright. I don't think their audio response is tilted up as some headphones are. Now that I own a pair I can understand why they are so popular with audio engineers.  I built a test set up for measuring headphones (a VERY long time ago) but never tested the SONY's. I have used the SONY's with my home brew line high performance (pat on back :-) ) line driver/headphone amp with high resolution sources and still love them although they are extremely sensitive.

 

Now you guys are going to need to consider that I've been in high end audio since the 70's and will be 69 years old come next July. The point I'm trying to make here in my clumsy way is that my ears aren't what they used to be. Although I try to keep up with audio technology and things audio the fact is that after two brain surgeries three years ago which didn't work out so well, things are just not as easy for me as they used to be, so ya gotta consider the source :-)

 

I'm not sure how to up-load pictures on this forum but we'll see how it turns out. I've completed restoration on the Sansui 5000A but the Marantz 2250B is a work in progress. The pictures don't do justice to how these vintage receivers really look - they are mint cosmetically and the electronic restorations have made them better than when they came off the production line (my not so humble opinion).

 

For me, especially for the Sansui, the work I do on them is a labor of love.....just tried to insert an image and got a message that my acct doesn't have the required permission so I'll try pasting into the message body. Hopefully that'll work........

 

Nope, tried and failed. Looks like no pictures. How do you guys get pictures up-loaded?

post #11150 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank18944 View Post
 

whether I use my Grado 125i, AKG K701, or Sennheiser HD580 the verdict is the same - the Marantz 2250B sounds better to me. I attribute most of the difference in sound between the Sansui 5000A & Marantz 2250B to the differences in FM tuners and stereo demultiplexing circuits. I make my comments based on listening to FM Stereo broadcasts. I've yet to compare the receivers using a CD or high resolution source, or turntable through just the audio sections.

 

I think it's always interesting how we judge headphones differently. I wouldn't consider the SONY MDR7506 to be bright. I don't think their audio response is tilted up as some headphones are. Now that I own a pair I can understand why they are so popular with audio engineers.  I built a test set up for measuring headphones (a VERY long time ago) but never tested the SONY's. I have used the SONY's with my home brew line high performance (pat on back :-) ) line driver/headphone amp with high resolution sources and still love them although they are extremely sensitive.

 

Now you guys are going to need to consider that I've been in high end audio since the 70's and will be 69 years old come next July. The point I'm trying to make here in my clumsy way is that my ears aren't what they used to be. Although I try to keep up with audio technology and things audio the fact is that after two brain surgeries three years ago which didn't work out so well, things are just not as easy for me as they used to be, so ya gotta consider the source :-)

 

I'm not sure how to up-load pictures on this forum but we'll see how it turns out. I've completed restoration on the Sansui 5000A but the Marantz 2250B is a work in progress. The pictures don't do justice to how these vintage receivers really look - they are mint cosmetically and the electronic restorations have made them better than when they came off the production line (my not so humble opinion).

 

For me, especially for the Sansui, the work I do on them is a labor of love.....just tried to insert an image and got a message that my acct doesn't have the required permission so I'll try pasting into the message body. Hopefully that'll work........

 

Nope, tried and failed. Looks like no pictures. How do you guys get pictures up-loaded?

I was just being playful with the Sony reference my friend. You have my full respect, I'm 43. Just post often for a while and then try again and your pics will be up. 

 

post #11151 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank18944 View Post
 

Now you guys are going to need to consider that I've been in high end audio since the 70's and will be 69 years old come next July. 

Yes, welcome to the the "Vintage Owners" thread...


Edited by parbaked - 12/20/13 at 1:30pm
post #11152 of 13505

now that was just plain cruel :-)

 

someone needs to bring some sanity to this forum........ (doubt that it'll be me)

post #11153 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank18944 View Post
 

now that was just plain cruel :-)

Not at all! I predate solid state as well...

post #11154 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank18944 View Post
 

now that was just plain cruel :-)

 

someone needs to bring some sanity to this forum........ (doubt that it'll be me)

 

hahaha Soz folks but its one of my fave pics. 

post #11155 of 13505
Not sure, but I think you need a minimum number of posts to upload photos.
post #11156 of 13505

Yes, I believe the number is "10."

post #11157 of 13505

I must have hit that number by now if they count my posts to other topics & threads in the forum.  I found Head-Fi when I was researching the SONY MDR7506 before I bought a pair and thought Head-Fi was just about headphones, HP amps and things related to HP use but after getting the thread update emails it looks like it covers a lot more. It's easy to get lost here.

 

Frank

ARS - W3MEE

post #11158 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
 

 

 

I've been using a Gungnir to feed my Pioneer SA-9100 for a while, and it has been very good.   However, I picked up a Dangerous Music Source last week and while the Gungnir is an outstanding DAC, so far I'm finding that I really prefer the DM Source.   

 

   -Mike

I actually bought one on amazon, it came today and good grief its amazing with my Harman Kardon 670! I could not believe how huge the Gungnir is when I opened it up that was kinda shocking :) and Never again will I buy Nuforce crap! Best of all with the two RCA out's, I can have another vintage amp hooked up so it's easier to switch (I switch between my vintage amps all the time...) 

It's nice hooked straight into my 670 (amp I'm using this week haha) for some reason I was gathering conflicting reports that you needed a preamp but :| also It's nice to not have popping every few seconds.... 

Yeah this is nice :) 

 

post #11159 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post
 

I actually bought one on amazon, it came today and good grief its amazing with my Harman Kardon 670! I could not believe how huge the Gungnir is when I opened it up that was kinda shocking :) and Never again will I buy Nuforce crap! Best of all with the two RCA out's, I can have another vintage amp hooked up so it's easier to switch (I switch between my vintage amps all the time...) 

It's nice hooked straight into my 670 (amp I'm using this week haha) for some reason I was gathering conflicting reports that you needed a preamp but :| also It's nice to not have popping every few seconds.... 

Yeah this is nice :) 

 

 

Congrats on the new Gungnir!   I wish you many hours of good listening through it!  It really is a great DAC, and the multiple outputs are very convenient.   Mine actually went up for sale today, I would keep both the Gungnir and the Dangerous Source, but it deserves to be enjoyed, not just kept as a backup.   The DS won me over by a small margin.

 

    -Mike

post #11160 of 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

 

###

I hope the links to the pictures work...

I think you can put in pictures earlier on. This was from my 5th post haha.  ^^

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners