Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 743

post #11131 of 13340
Thanks all of you fellow vintage lovers for the kind words. The new case was the final piece of the puzzle on that 1980. It's now exactly what I wanted - looks like new, and works / sounds at LEAST as good as new, if not better. And should work a long, long time biggrin.gif
post #11132 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Thanks brother. I'm hoping the same of course. I'm concerned because this is worse than ever before. Tinnitus for me means high pitched ringing accompanied by VERY sensitive hearing. The TV at a reasonable volume sounds like it's blaring loud. I hoping that my hiatus from music will rectify the problem and I'll be enjoying my tunes again soon. 

Tinnitus is very often accompanied by hyperacusis. Again, hopefully with rest it will improve. If it doesnt, there are still options. I am still able to enjoy music even with my tinnitus.

BTW, mine is high frequency ringing with hyperacusis too. Mine is like a polytonal sine wave centered at about 5000 Hz and is about 60 dB in loudness - 24/7...

Hang in there.
Edited by palmfish - 12/18/13 at 4:14pm
post #11133 of 13340

I feel for you guys with tinnitus.  My father in law has it and not only is he deaf (I'm his hearing when we hunt WITH BOWS) as he can't hear an elk bugle a quarter mile away from us but the ringing really bothers him.

 

I remember a member who bought a TH900 and a Grace 903 amp, then proceeded to blow his ears up to the point of not being able to use headphones at all any more.  That was a sad thread but a good learning for all of us.  Keep it reasonable. 

 

Matt, hang in there bud - easy for me to say but I'll be thinking good thoughts so you can get back to what we know you love. 

post #11134 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Thanks all of you fellow vintage lovers for the kind words. The new case was the final piece of the puzzle on that 1980. It's now exactly what I wanted - looks like new, and works / sounds at LEAST as good as new, if not better. And should work a long, long time biggrin.gif

Rob,
Are you by chance evaluating the LCD-X as a replacement to the HE-6?
post #11135 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argybargy View Post

Rob,
Are you by chance evaluating the LCD-X as a replacement to the HE-6?

Currently, no plans. Based on the descriptions I have read, and my own sonic preferences, I'm inclined to believe I would prefer sticking with the LCD-3. And my reviewing duties on InnerFidelity are limited to amps.
post #11136 of 13340
Gotcha, thanks. I may give them a try in a year or so.... These days I don't seem to have the urge to jump on every new model that comes down the pipeline.
post #11137 of 13340
Same here. I was really into that for 5-6 years or so, but not really so much anymore. The combination of the LCD-3 and the AT W3000ANV keep me happy enough that I'm really not into putting my money there. Lots of other places to spend my audio bucks biggrin.gif
post #11138 of 13340
Thread Starter 

I'm pretty much there myself. I've tried a couple of midfi cans here and there. But my main three headphones have been the same since purchasing the w3000anv a couple of years ago. But when it comes to vintage, I just can't seem to get enough. Just when I think I'm done for a while something like a g901 comes up. :D

post #11139 of 13340

:thumb: I quite enjoy watching your adventures... and watching you sweat.... under her watchful eye (just funnin')

post #11140 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
 

I feel for you guys with tinnitus.  My father in law has it and not only is he deaf (I'm his hearing when we hunt WITH BOWS) as he can't hear an elk bugle a quarter mile away from us but the ringing really bothers him.

 

I remember a member who bought a TH900 and a Grace 903 amp, then proceeded to blow his ears up to the point of not being able to use headphones at all any more.  That was a sad thread but a good learning for all of us.  Keep it reasonable. 

 

Matt, hang in there bud - easy for me to say but I'll be thinking good thoughts so you can get back to what we know you love. 

 

Got it too.  Mainly in the right ear - high frequency ringing and distortion when listening loud.  This has to be the worst thing that can happen to an audiophile.

post #11141 of 13340

I found a Marantz 2275 for $200. I WISH I could get it..... :( Maybe next month. but then again now that I've mentioned it here it will vanish like all the others :P 

Does anyone here use a Schiit Gungnir with their vintage amps? I am planning to get one. I gotta ditch this nuforce crap. I might just buy a Gungnir and put this UDH-100 on CL since Nuforce abandoned me after I mentioned "refund"... 

post #11142 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrinj View Post
 

I found a Marantz 2275 for $200. I WISH I could get it..... :( Maybe next month. but then again now that I've mentioned it here it will vanish like all the others :P 

Does anyone here use a Schiit Gungnir with their vintage amps? I am planning to get one. I gotta ditch this nuforce crap. I might just buy a Gungnir and put this UDH-100 on CL since Nuforce abandoned me after I mentioned "refund"... 

 

 

I've been using a Gungnir to feed my Pioneer SA-9100 for a while, and it has been very good.   However, I picked up a Dangerous Music Source last week and while the Gungnir is an outstanding DAC, so far I'm finding that I really prefer the DM Source.   

 

   -Mike

post #11143 of 13340

Tinnitus in the house here also. Or should I say in the head. One loud concert last august pushed me over the edge. I had ear plugs in that night but it wasn't enough. The fear and anxiety it produced in my life was huge. I didn't touch my headphones for 2 months. Fortunately, I have a nice speaker system. My tinnitus has improved greatly with giving my ears a break and I now feel I am on notice, I have to be very careful with my listening and only attend mellow, acoustic concerts. One thing for sure, my tinnitus has great sound stage. It basically surrounds my head.

 

Be careful out there folks, tinnitus is a bummer.

 

And to keep this post on topic I will say.......my Sansui G9000db is a friggin rockin beast. I love it:biggrin: !!!!

post #11144 of 13340
Quote:
Originally Posted by claybum View Post
 

Tinnitus in the house here also. Or should I say in the head. One loud concert last august pushed me over the edge. I had ear plugs in that night but it wasn't enough. The fear and anxiety it produced in my life was huge. I didn't touch my headphones for 2 months. Fortunately, I have a nice speaker system. My tinnitus has improved greatly with giving my ears a break and I now feel I am on notice, I have to be very careful with my listening and only attend mellow, acoustic concerts. One thing for sure, my tinnitus has great sound stage. It basically surrounds my head.

 

Be careful out there folks, tinnitus is a bummer.

 

And to keep this post on topic I will say.......my Sansui G9000db is a friggin rockin beast. I love it:biggrin: !!!!

 

Yes, loud concert here too.  Was almost in front of a main speaker at a Pat Metheny concert.  My ears were ringing for weeks after that.

 

Now I also listen moderately low and always have ear protection when mowing the lawn, for example.  There is always at least some distortion/ringing in my right ear - but it varies in level.

post #11145 of 13340

I can't believe the length of this thread!

 

I love to restore vintage AM/FM Stereo receiver's & a few tuners from the 70's. One of my favorites is the Sansui 5000A followed by the Marantz 2250B. Both have headphone outputs which just use resistors to couple the power amp output to the headphone jack so your hearing the entire audio chain. The Marantz has the best audio between the two. Both of them easily drive all of the headphones I own and I've accumulated a pile of them the latest of which is the SONY MDR-7506 PRO that I bought two weeks ago. I know these are a very old design from the early 90's but they are extremely revealing.

 

Anyway, thought I'd chime in - Happy Holidays to everyone and Blessings to you and your families.

 

Frank

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners