Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners - Page 695

post #10411 of 13878

Can anyone with the hd800 comment on how it would pair with a vintage receiver, particularly Pioneer sx series. 

post #10412 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Can anyone with the hd800 comment on how it would pair with a vintage receiver, particularly Pioneer sx series. 

I think they pair great. I sold off my Audio gd amp when I got my SX550 paired with the HD800's. 

 

They are the best hp's I've heard so far. They aren't bright headphones and will sound like whatever you feed them. The only problem some peeps have with them is the one peak at about 6khz. This has never been a problem for me and I've had to equalize hp's before, mainly AKG and Beyer. This one little peak is only going to be annoying if you don't want the added detail that this gives. But all you have to do with a vintage amp is turn the treble down one notch... 

 

I like the way they react to vintage amps and the high impedance output. This adds authority and fullness to the bottom end. They sound huge, warm and detailed.

 

I've owned the HD650's HD600's HD595's and none of these are on par with the current flags in any area. And I'm a big big fan of the HD650/600. 

 

Sold? 

post #10413 of 13878

@Mr. Morden - love the old Threshold stuff too.  Nelson Pass, got to love em.

post #10414 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post
 

I think they pair great. I sold off my Audio gd amp when I got my SX550 paired with the HD800's. 

 

They are the best hp's I've heard so far. They aren't bright headphones and will sound like whatever you feed them. The only problem some peeps have with them is the one peak at about 6khz. This has never been a problem for me and I've had to equalize hp's before, mainly AKG and Beyer. This one little peak is only going to be annoying if you don't want the added detail that this gives. But all you have to do with a vintage amp is turn the treble down one notch... 

 

I like the way they react to vintage amps and the high impedance output. This adds authority and fullness to the bottom end. They sound huge, warm and detailed.

 

I've owned the HD650's HD600's HD595's and none of these are on par with the current flags in any area. And I'm a big big fan of the HD650/600. 

 

Sold? 

 

Whew...where do I sign. My only concerns with the hd800 was:

 

1. Could I afford the right amp for them?

 

2. Would I have an issue with the brightness?

 

It seems based on your estimation, that even my sx890 would be a good pairing. The sx1050 would even be that much better. 

 

LugBug...as time permits would you mind adding some specifics on the hd800 as compared to the hd650. We can move this conversation to pm if too off topic. 

 

thanks...

post #10415 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Morden View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

 

Silver-faced foxes... :wink_face: you do know sex sells, right?

Well sure, but who said amps weren't good lookin' too?

 

 

 

:D I got love for both offerings. 

post #10416 of 13878

^^ Those meters!!!! I'm a sucker for the meters. 

post #10417 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Those meters!!!! I'm a sucker for the meters. 

Me toooooo :tongue_smile:

post #10418 of 13878

I've spend a good bit of time with the sx890 over the past day. Well, call me impressed. While it's not quite in the same league with the 1050 and 1280, it's an impressive receiver. It drives the large advents with aplomb. The bass comes across with good authority and the mids are liquid. 

 

Just listened to Muddy Waters: Folk Singer on this setup. I listened from start to finish cuase I just couldn't bring myself to stop. Wow!! :basshead: 

post #10419 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Can anyone with the hd800 comment on how it would pair with a vintage receiver, particularly Pioneer sx series. 

 

Im running a pair with my pioneer SX750 and there as pleasant to listen to as with my other amps plus you have tone control gotta love that if i had only that amp i would be happy but thats my opinion. The only thing theres a slight hum when nothings playing i think LugBug1 pointed that out once dont remember details about that dont know if its related to impedance or something else .

post #10420 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

^^ Those meters!!!! I'm a sucker for the meters. 

Me toooooo :tongue_smile:

 

I remember last year being stuck on a web page for nearly 20 minutes - a McIntosh gif with the blue needles just bouncin'... :ksc75smile:

post #10421 of 13878

Thanks Mike. I think that it's time to give the hd800 a shot. 

post #10422 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

 

I remember last year being stuck on a web page for nearly 20 minutes - a McIntosh gif with the blue needles just bouncin'... :ksc75smile:

Yeah baby! Those meters combined with the aesthetics is pure eye candy!

post #10423 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post
 

Can anyone with the hd800 comment on how it would pair with a vintage receiver, particularly Pioneer sx series. 

 

I have been running the HD800 from my SX-1050 consistently for the past week or so and have very much enjoyed the combination. It's sort of an experiment to see if I can move my Bryston BHA-1 into my living room (to use as headamp & preamp) without adding back in a dedicated headphone amp in the office. So far so good.

 

MacBook Pro > Bryston BDA-2 > SX-1050 > HD800

post #10424 of 13878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKELAP View Post
 

 

Im running a pair with my pioneer SX750 and there as pleasant to listen to as with my other amps plus you have tone control gotta love that if i had only that amp i would be happy but thats my opinion. The only thing theres a slight hum when nothings playing i think LugBug1 pointed that out once dont remember details about that dont know if its related to impedance or something else .

Yeah thats right Mike, they will show any hums if there is any, as they are very sensitive even though they are high impedance. (I've pm'd Matt with a comparison with the 650's.) 

post #10425 of 13878

Matt, are you looking at the HD800 because of comfort concerns with other TOTL cans?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners