I think that distributors should allow you to borrow headphones. You'd pay for postage and some money for headphones as an insurance. After you send them back, you get back your money. It could work because I don't suppose that lot of people from my 5,5 milion country want to try K701 for example. In my country is goods returning somewhat complicated and usualy unrealistic.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
- productLittle Dot MK IIItagged by System, 1/31/11
- productSennheiser CX 300 II-Blacktagged by System, 1/31/11
- productSennheiser HD 555 Headphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
- productSennheiser HD 595 Headphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 1/31/11
Related Forum Threads
- I'm looking for.. a lot of bass and forward mids Last post on 9/19/12 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The Sennheiser Tier of Headphones Last post on 1/15/12 at 4:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- LITTLE DOT MKIII VALVE AMP + SENN HD 650s $550 NZ , Should I Buy? Last post on 6/8/11 at 2:38am in Headphones (full-size)
- HD555 buzzing in left channel. How to fix? Last post on 5/2/11 at 1:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD598 > HD650 ? Last post on 5/10/11 at 1:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Audiosense is a new headphone brand in China which surprisingly produces many qualities headphones. The model V2mix4 comes from 4 drivers which are the combination of dynamic drivers and balanced...
Microsoft Lumia 435 Quick Review Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/773374/microsoft-lumia-435-review-by-mark2410 Brief: An insanely cheap wonder device. Price: £30 payg or...
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. when you...
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
I made a video review of the dt770 80ohm quite sometime ago and was finally finished it. I got them on sale at Guitar Center for $179.99 , the deal was better than anywhere on the web so I...
Beginning to think all this high end stuff is a con. - Page 12post #166 of 1742/7/11 at 1:32am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #167 of 1742/7/11 at 3:01am
If you're paying for postage, you could do the same thing by just buying a used pair of K701's and selling them when you're done. That's better actually because you could have them for however long you want.post #168 of 1742/8/11 at 4:35ampost #169 of 1742/11/11 at 4:11pmQuote:
Homophobe! I'm no homophobe!
Would you believe me if I claimed it was a typo? (It was supposed to be "Not so nice", not "Not too nice..")
Oh, the pain.....post #170 of 1742/11/11 at 4:27pmQuote:post #171 of 1742/11/11 at 6:14pm
The good thing about my journey into headphones is I learned alot more about sources and DACs...bad things is I sold all my headphone stuff but some denons for work and some IEMs for travel. Dedicated theater and study for me. totally unimpressed with headphones compared to room based audio at the same price points. You can buy some amazing speakers and subs for the same price as headphones go for and I highly recommend it - low volumes arent that offensive for personal listening and if your wife/room mates dont like it - dump em.post #172 of 1742/11/11 at 6:52pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mkubota1
I've always thought that depending on what genre you listen to, recordings can be the weakest link in any system. And I'm generally talking about recording technique and quality, as opposed to the quality of the final format. Good headphones or IEMs are generally more revealing of this.
This point is bang on IMO. A good system not only reveals that the majority of recordings are not great, but having spent all that money you start listening really closely and noticing flaws that you would otherwise overlook because your attention is focused on the music. But having said that, with the right recordings a high system can be amazing.post #173 of 1742/12/11 at 4:01amQuote:Originally Posted by twylight
The good thing about my journey into headphones is I learned alot more about sources and DACs...bad things is I sold all my headphone stuff but some denons for work and some IEMs for travel. Dedicated theater and study for me. totally unimpressed with headphones compared to room based audio at the same price points. You can buy some amazing speakers and subs for the same price as headphones go for and I highly recommend it - low volumes arent that offensive for personal listening and if your wife/room mates dont like it - dump em.
I had speakers and sold them because I like the headphones the best. That intimacy with headphones is just great. I hate noise comming from neighbours and when I put on my headphones, I hear nothing. So it's not just about how you disturb others. Even low listening levels aren't acceptable for night listening, movie watching, gaming or guitar playing. And I like when sound is close to my head. Personaly, I don't like headphones with big headstage. But to choose right headphones for you is much harder than speakers.post #174 of 1742/12/11 at 1:55pm
I echo that experience. Headphones are inherently peaky and dippy. And so is the individual hearing system frequency response curves, which are very genetics/age/history/loudness-dependent.
Personalized EQ using studio-grade hardware and/or software makes huge difference! Once you do the EQ properly, you realize that headphones are divided onto two general groups - those that can be equalized to your satisfaction and those that can't. Just take several higher-end headphones with wide dynamic range and low distortion and try to equalize them to your liking. All of those that can handle the EQ will sound very similar and very very good to you.
Our best investment in this hobby may well be Toole's "Sound Reproduction" or a similar book. Really. It scientifically disproves dozens of myths circulating on this board and explains very well why a "cheap" system can sound so much better than an "expensive" one - to a certain individual of course. There is no longer any mystery or controversy after one reads (and understands!) that book.
Quote:Originally Posted by Vkamicht
I have a pair of cheap (~$250) studio monitors that produce a very flat frequency response when playing a sine sweep. (Not perfect, of course, they're simply in my bedroom and not a studio) Naturally they produce a very balanced, life like sound.
Every pair of headphones I have or have had is very peaky to my ears. Lots of peaks, lots of dips, lots of resonances. I always thought, based on what I've read, that it should be the opposite and headphones should sound better than speakers at the same or lower price point. This is not the case for me, but when I apply EQ to fix all these problems to flatten out the response, my Beyer DT880s sound phenomenal. As soon as I disable my EQ chain (which is pretty extensive...) it sounds like I'm listening out of a tin can.
Moral of the story... who knows ;)
- Beginning to think all this high end stuff is a con.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 31 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › I use glasses. Should I get the beyer 880 dt 250 ohm pro (more... 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for a pair of headphones for max. 500€, suggestions? 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by speedsters
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)