Pots can have a severe effect on transparency. Apparently CEntrance says the difference between the LX and regular DACPort is just the addition of a pot. If you AB the two next to each other the difference is clearly evident even if you adjust the DACPorts pot to it's 'magic' sweet spot. I'm even contemplating removing the pot in my Super7 and using my PWD but the acceptable range will be limited from 60-100%
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 3/4/11
- brandLeckerton Audiotagged by System, 2/1/11
- productLeckerton Audio UHA-6S portable amp/DACtagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 3/4/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 3/4/11
- productWestone 2 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
- productYuin OK1 Earphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
Related Forum Threads
- Time to plug the UHA-6S into my P4 :) Last post on 10/12/11 at 1:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Noob's not-so-quick comparison: RSA Predator, Pico Slim, Arrow 4G, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S Last post on 9/18/13 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP? Last post on 6/21/13 at 12:53am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 vs iBasso T5 vs More Last post on 6/21/12 at 1:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amping my Cowon J3 Last post on 5/9/12 at 9:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Introduction FiiO X5-2 is the second generation of X5 DAPs (digital audio players) from FiiO. I owned a FiiO X5 for quite a while before buying X5-2 and I was...
Brainwavz is a company that should be well known by now to anyone who's familiar with Head-Fi. Known for their excellent build quality and reasonable prices, Brainwavz should always be on your...
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4 - Page 66post #976 of 10748/21/12 at 9:39am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #977 of 10748/21/12 at 10:47amAny component in the signal path will degrade sound, pot can certainly be so. However, an amp without any volume control doesn't seem to be very useful, doesn't it? That's why stepped attenuator is so highly regarded in the HiFi world but they just cost too much and won't fit in any portable amp (well, I have seen people tried it, but you need a big amp to begin with).
It is the necessary evil, and a designer will choose whatever is the lesser among his option.
Edited by ClieOS - 8/21/12 at 8:09pmpost #978 of 10748/21/12 at 11:04am
I always wonder if a fully open attenuator such as Alps is the same as no pot or is there such thing as a "magic sweet spot"? I have heard people suggesting 2-3pm as the optimal position but it could be another one of those audiophile nonsense that get repeated.post #979 of 10748/21/12 at 10:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
It probably is an deliberated choice not to use digital pot. Nick is more than capable when it comes to circuit design but to implement digital volume means an extra layer of signal processing, which in a way will lower the over transparency. It might not be much in real life, but given the customer are mainly audiophile, the attention to detail can pay off. I rather like how volume control is implemented on StepDance / QuickStep - the analog pot is digitally measured, then the position of the pot is digitally translated back onto analog switches for the actual volume control. It is kind of a digitalized analog volume control where you get the transparency and the fine control. But that in a way is much more complicated design that might not be feasible on such a smaller amp when there is already a DAC stuffed inside.
Meier's got the PCStep coming out in a few months...post #980 of 10748/21/12 at 11:12pm
Yeah, I know. I kind of posted it first in the forum . But PCStep has a much more limited DAC section when compared to the UHA-6 MKII though. It will be a direct competitor for UHA-4 - digital volume control, PCM270x based USB DAC solution and dual OPA209 amp section.post #981 of 10748/22/12 at 12:40ampost #982 of 10748/22/12 at 3:41amQuote:
Quickstep is almost twice the price, I would think PCStep, given it is a step down model, should be more comfortably around $200~$300. Still, it is likely going to be more expensive than UHA-4.post #983 of 10748/22/12 at 9:07ampost #984 of 10748/22/12 at 9:26amQuote:
Around $260~270, I believe.post #985 of 10748/23/12 at 2:19pm
I bought a UHA-4 from a fellow head-fier. As I already have the E17, I'll try to post some impressions of both. Will be using it to drive Westone 4, ER4S and Velodyne Pulse... I hope UHA-4 makes me get back to IEMs...post #986 of 10748/24/12 at 12:33am
Got my UHA-4 in the house. It works fine out of my phone through USB OTG. Go Nokia!
EDIT: one day later. Fanboyism out of the way, I'm definitely hearing a refinement of bass in everything I own, especially the 2 orthos I own. And probably some larger soundstage, but not too sure about that.
Edited by jgray91 - 8/24/12 at 7:28pmpost #987 of 10749/4/12 at 9:21am
Finally listening to my new UHA-4. Wooooow, this is so good. I'm listening to Communiqué, by Dire Straits, and it never sounded so warm and full. Having a hard time levaing home to work now. The bass on W4 doesn't seem so recessed as has always been to me. I'll be honest: I'm liking this little combo more than Icon HDP + PS500 for example, as I was testing this ealier.
post #988 of 10749/4/12 at 2:32pmpost #989 of 10749/15/12 at 11:04am
You guys think the UHA4 (OPA209AID) would pair well with my Senn HD25-1 ii? I'm not looking for any added coloration. Increased soundstage and transparency would be great. If it could pull out some more detail that'd be desirable.
P.S. - I'd be running it through my Macbook and iPhone 4.
Edited by Origin89 - 9/15/12 at 11:06ampost #990 of 10749/16/12 at 3:23pm
I've been using the UHA-4 as a portable amp for a little while now with my IEM's. Enjoyed it! Now, I am getting the AKG Q701 very soon and wanted to know how would it perform as a dedicated DAC.
I'll be using the Little Dot I+ as the amp.
My setup will be; MacBook Pro --> UHA-4 (as DAC) --> Little Dot I+ --> AKG Q710
Or would I be better off getting a separate dedicated DAC. Don't want to spend much currently so if the UHA-4's doing a great job as a DAC then I'll be completely set.
- Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 50 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr + goodies 2 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 3 minutes ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 3 minutes ago
- › WTB: Apple iPod Touch 5th or 6th gen. 4 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 for Sale 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear