Pots can have a severe effect on transparency. Apparently CEntrance says the difference between the LX and regular DACPort is just the addition of a pot. If you AB the two next to each other the difference is clearly evident even if you adjust the DACPorts pot to it's 'magic' sweet spot. I'm even contemplating removing the pot in my Super7 and using my PWD but the acceptable range will be limited from 60-100%
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 3/4/11
- brandLeckerton Audiotagged by System, 2/1/11
- productLeckerton Audio UHA-6S portable amp/DACtagged by System, 2/1/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 3/4/11
- productUltimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie Casetagged by System, 3/4/11
- productWestone 2 True-Fit Earphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
- productYuin OK1 Earphonestagged by System, 3/4/11
Related Forum Threads
- Time to plug the UHA-6S into my P4 :) Last post on 10/12/11 at 1:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Noob's not-so-quick comparison: RSA Predator, Pico Slim, Arrow 4G, Leckerton Audio UHA-6S Last post on 9/18/13 at 9:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- BEST PORTABLE HEADPHONE AMP? Last post on 6/21/13 at 12:53am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 vs iBasso T5 vs More Last post on 6/21/12 at 1:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amping my Cowon J3 Last post on 5/9/12 at 9:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Here's everything you need to know http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-sony-playstation-1-scph.html Here's the Stereophile review on it...
TTPOD T1E Review Background Be using me Fiio X3 for this review ......fosho' this purple jet pack is one sexy lookin' IEM .....housing is big but could be a problem for some with the...
The PM3 is Oppo's 3rd headphone offering, a closed back planar magnetic. Thank you to @Jiffy Squid and Oppo for allowing us Head-fiers to audition these at the comfort of our own home and time,...
How much more can we possibly hear? At some point audio, and personal audio by default, becomes a continual series of efforts to throw oneself over the walls of the physical world. We try...
Before reading below, please check out my video review of the Focal XS 2.1 Satellites on YouTube. Please also support the channel by liking the video and sharing it with your friends! A sub won't...
- Headphone Impedance
Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4 - Page 66
Gear mentioned in this thread:
It is the necessary evil, and a designer will choose whatever is the lesser among his option.
Edited by ClieOS - 8/21/12 at 8:09pm
I always wonder if a fully open attenuator such as Alps is the same as no pot or is there such thing as a "magic sweet spot"? I have heard people suggesting 2-3pm as the optimal position but it could be another one of those audiophile nonsense that get repeated.
It probably is an deliberated choice not to use digital pot. Nick is more than capable when it comes to circuit design but to implement digital volume means an extra layer of signal processing, which in a way will lower the over transparency. It might not be much in real life, but given the customer are mainly audiophile, the attention to detail can pay off. I rather like how volume control is implemented on StepDance / QuickStep - the analog pot is digitally measured, then the position of the pot is digitally translated back onto analog switches for the actual volume control. It is kind of a digitalized analog volume control where you get the transparency and the fine control. But that in a way is much more complicated design that might not be feasible on such a smaller amp when there is already a DAC stuffed inside.
Meier's got the PCStep coming out in a few months...
Yeah, I know. I kind of posted it first in the forum . But PCStep has a much more limited DAC section when compared to the UHA-6 MKII though. It will be a direct competitor for UHA-4 - digital volume control, PCM270x based USB DAC solution and dual OPA209 amp section.
Quickstep is almost twice the price, I would think PCStep, given it is a step down model, should be more comfortably around $200~$300. Still, it is likely going to be more expensive than UHA-4.
Around $260~270, I believe.
I bought a UHA-4 from a fellow head-fier. As I already have the E17, I'll try to post some impressions of both. Will be using it to drive Westone 4, ER4S and Velodyne Pulse... I hope UHA-4 makes me get back to IEMs...
Got my UHA-4 in the house. It works fine out of my phone through USB OTG. Go Nokia!
EDIT: one day later. Fanboyism out of the way, I'm definitely hearing a refinement of bass in everything I own, especially the 2 orthos I own. And probably some larger soundstage, but not too sure about that.
Edited by jgray91 - 8/24/12 at 7:28pm
Finally listening to my new UHA-4. Wooooow, this is so good. I'm listening to Communiqué, by Dire Straits, and it never sounded so warm and full. Having a hard time levaing home to work now. The bass on W4 doesn't seem so recessed as has always been to me. I'll be honest: I'm liking this little combo more than Icon HDP + PS500 for example, as I was testing this ealier.
You guys think the UHA4 (OPA209AID) would pair well with my Senn HD25-1 ii? I'm not looking for any added coloration. Increased soundstage and transparency would be great. If it could pull out some more detail that'd be desirable.
P.S. - I'd be running it through my Macbook and iPhone 4.
Edited by Origin89 - 9/15/12 at 11:06am
I've been using the UHA-4 as a portable amp for a little while now with my IEM's. Enjoyed it! Now, I am getting the AKG Q701 very soon and wanted to know how would it perform as a dedicated DAC.
I'll be using the Little Dot I+ as the amp.
My setup will be; MacBook Pro --> UHA-4 (as DAC) --> Little Dot I+ --> AKG Q710
Or would I be better off getting a separate dedicated DAC. Don't want to spend much currently so if the UHA-4's doing a great job as a DAC then I'll be completely set.
- Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Light Harmonic Geek Wave 21 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 30 seconds ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 33 seconds ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 40 seconds ago
- › Questyle QP1 50 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › What's the best free software to convert FLAC to mp3? 4 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 7 minutes ago
- › Sony Playstation PS One - Video Game Console by Stereocilia
- › TTPOD T1-E High Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone by Wokei
- › OPPO PM-3 by Soundsgoodtome
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Focal XS Satellite Speakers with Dock for iPod and MP3 Players by cuiter23
- › Noontec ZORO II HD Headphone, Professional Sound Good Sound... by twister6
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Armaegis
- › Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System by spronkey
- › MDR-XD 150 W weiß by whitemass
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2