I've tried Shure olives and Double flange tips, but I still prefer the comply tips, and curious what most people prefer. How can I fit MC tips to the SM3? Seems too thin for MC tips to stay in place.
Related Forum Threads
- A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02 Last post on 4/19/11 at 2:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear isolating headphones in my case between Shure SE535, Westone 3 and EarSonics SM3 Last post on 9/29/10 at 10:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- bored by my Shure SE420 :(... Need adivses for a model with a signature I like... Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535? Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 vs SM3 Last post on 10/27/11 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Poll Results: What tips do you prefer
26% of voters (15)Stock SM3 tips
26% of voters (15)Sensorcom Double flange
14% of voters (8)Shure Olives
10% of voters (6)MC Tri-flange
0% of voters (0)MC gel silicon
1% of voters (1)MC supertip
19% of voters (11)Others
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I like the comply tips most of all so far. I feel like I'm missing details with them though. The comply smooths out the sound, kinda rolling off the highs(maybe contributing to detail loss), almost acting like a filter, but makes bass very smooth. I am gonna have to try tehort's idea, its very clever. something I've noticed about the comply tips is that it has a strong middle structure, kinda extending the core, which I think SM3 needs, so that you can fit soft tips like double flanges much deeper inside the ears. Trouble with double flange is that, I lose bass, and therefore bass is distorted, I missing low end and sound stage is narrow. I believe I need silicone tip with wide enough opening and great isoation, then I would get wide spectrum of sound with great bass impact.
Edited by High_Q - 2/3/11 at 4:00pm
I cut them quite short, but found they were too flimsy to insert fully unlike etys or shure flanges, probably due to the wider exit than the others
Using the method tehort mentions above (using Olive Shure stems) opens up possibilities for larger bore tips. Using that method and placing M6 triple flanges like the ones pictured above I get a more comfortable and easy fit compared to stock double flanges which were my previous tips of choice. Very useful stuff and highly recommended.
Well guys although i use the stock tips most of the time, i modded them in such a way that the bore of the tips are larger, and i slipped a shure core into the stock tips. Putting a chopstick into the stock tips and immersing them in hot water permanetly achieves this
My intention of doing so was to ensure the sound would not be absorbed into the stock tips, and to make sure that the sound would remain uncompromised as it exits the bore of the SM3. So far the treble is really nice now, bass isn't smeared, and vocals are very very slightly less muddied, and i have had the green filters removed as well. This comparison is done to the unmodded stock tips.
On a side note, the stock tips seems to fit me better than the medium or large shure olives, and it just sounds clear to me. the olives kinda muffles the dynamic range, but its not to a large extent. Still i use them interchangeably, depending on whether i need a little more isolation from the olives or just the best from the SM3. I, of course, reach out to the modded stock tips more often.
i couldn't get a seal with the comply tips (odd because i got a great seal using them on the etys -> is the nozzle the same size?)- the triple flanges were uncomfortable. in the quest for perfection, i got the um56s which, after 4 trips to the audiologist were perfect...until my dog chewed them
Too bad I sold it before trying the triple flanges. I could have experienced SM3 to maximum potential with those. As of now, I see the value of triple flanges from using it for many IEMs. Triple may be uncomfortable for some, but it will not fail to impress me.
Edited by High_Q - 4/22/11 at 6:58am
- Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 10 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 or M2 Wired 15 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 21 seconds ago
- › Where do I go from here? Next purchase for listening primarily to... 1 minute ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 1 minute ago
- › The State of the Flagships 1 minute ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 2 minutes ago
- › Question on if I need an amp or soundcard 2 minutes ago
- › ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2