I've tried Shure olives and Double flange tips, but I still prefer the comply tips, and curious what most people prefer. How can I fit MC tips to the SM3? Seems too thin for MC tips to stay in place.
Related Forum Threads
- A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02 Last post on 4/19/11 at 2:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear isolating headphones in my case between Shure SE535, Westone 3 and EarSonics SM3 Last post on 9/29/10 at 10:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- bored by my Shure SE420 :(... Need adivses for a model with a signature I like... Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535? Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 vs SM3 Last post on 10/27/11 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Build I've had a lot of headphones in the past and prior to this I thought in the sub 300 price category the Beyer DT990/880 were the best, they certainly still are at the top of the chart but this...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Poll Results: What tips do you prefer
26% of voters (15)Stock SM3 tips
26% of voters (15)Sensorcom Double flange
14% of voters (8)Shure Olives
10% of voters (6)MC Tri-flange
0% of voters (0)MC gel silicon
1% of voters (1)MC supertip
19% of voters (11)Others
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I like the comply tips most of all so far. I feel like I'm missing details with them though. The comply smooths out the sound, kinda rolling off the highs(maybe contributing to detail loss), almost acting like a filter, but makes bass very smooth. I am gonna have to try tehort's idea, its very clever. something I've noticed about the comply tips is that it has a strong middle structure, kinda extending the core, which I think SM3 needs, so that you can fit soft tips like double flanges much deeper inside the ears. Trouble with double flange is that, I lose bass, and therefore bass is distorted, I missing low end and sound stage is narrow. I believe I need silicone tip with wide enough opening and great isoation, then I would get wide spectrum of sound with great bass impact.
Edited by High_Q - 2/3/11 at 4:00pm
I cut them quite short, but found they were too flimsy to insert fully unlike etys or shure flanges, probably due to the wider exit than the others
Using the method tehort mentions above (using Olive Shure stems) opens up possibilities for larger bore tips. Using that method and placing M6 triple flanges like the ones pictured above I get a more comfortable and easy fit compared to stock double flanges which were my previous tips of choice. Very useful stuff and highly recommended.
Well guys although i use the stock tips most of the time, i modded them in such a way that the bore of the tips are larger, and i slipped a shure core into the stock tips. Putting a chopstick into the stock tips and immersing them in hot water permanetly achieves this
My intention of doing so was to ensure the sound would not be absorbed into the stock tips, and to make sure that the sound would remain uncompromised as it exits the bore of the SM3. So far the treble is really nice now, bass isn't smeared, and vocals are very very slightly less muddied, and i have had the green filters removed as well. This comparison is done to the unmodded stock tips.
On a side note, the stock tips seems to fit me better than the medium or large shure olives, and it just sounds clear to me. the olives kinda muffles the dynamic range, but its not to a large extent. Still i use them interchangeably, depending on whether i need a little more isolation from the olives or just the best from the SM3. I, of course, reach out to the modded stock tips more often.
i couldn't get a seal with the comply tips (odd because i got a great seal using them on the etys -> is the nozzle the same size?)- the triple flanges were uncomfortable. in the quest for perfection, i got the um56s which, after 4 trips to the audiologist were perfect...until my dog chewed them
Too bad I sold it before trying the triple flanges. I could have experienced SM3 to maximum potential with those. As of now, I see the value of triple flanges from using it for many IEMs. Triple may be uncomfortable for some, but it will not fail to impress me.
Edited by High_Q - 4/22/11 at 6:58am
- Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New release - the AKG K553 Pro - featuring a killer Massdrop deal 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Is Presonus HP4 an acceptable amp for high-end headphones like HD600? 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 5 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 6 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally!... 7 minutes ago
- › Size Matters - Earpad hole measurements for Over-ear Headphones.... 8 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Zulkr9
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2