I've tried Shure olives and Double flange tips, but I still prefer the comply tips, and curious what most people prefer. How can I fit MC tips to the SM3? Seems too thin for MC tips to stay in place.
Related Forum Threads
- A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02 Last post on 4/19/11 at 2:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear isolating headphones in my case between Shure SE535, Westone 3 and EarSonics SM3 Last post on 9/29/10 at 10:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- bored by my Shure SE420 :(... Need adivses for a model with a signature I like... Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535? Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 vs SM3 Last post on 10/27/11 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
for the price is good but if you want to have that premier sound qualtiy of studio you need a dac of 300 dolllar +
I'm using eartips I found on a pair of Dollar Store earbuds. They look like JVC Spiral dot tips but with a larger dameter opening, more rubbery too. I also tried the CKW1000anv with the JVC's...
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Poll Results: What tips do you prefer
26% of voters (15)Stock SM3 tips
26% of voters (15)Sensorcom Double flange
14% of voters (8)Shure Olives
10% of voters (6)MC Tri-flange
0% of voters (0)MC gel silicon
1% of voters (1)MC supertip
19% of voters (11)Others
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I like the comply tips most of all so far. I feel like I'm missing details with them though. The comply smooths out the sound, kinda rolling off the highs(maybe contributing to detail loss), almost acting like a filter, but makes bass very smooth. I am gonna have to try tehort's idea, its very clever. something I've noticed about the comply tips is that it has a strong middle structure, kinda extending the core, which I think SM3 needs, so that you can fit soft tips like double flanges much deeper inside the ears. Trouble with double flange is that, I lose bass, and therefore bass is distorted, I missing low end and sound stage is narrow. I believe I need silicone tip with wide enough opening and great isoation, then I would get wide spectrum of sound with great bass impact.
Edited by High_Q - 2/3/11 at 4:00pm
I cut them quite short, but found they were too flimsy to insert fully unlike etys or shure flanges, probably due to the wider exit than the others
Using the method tehort mentions above (using Olive Shure stems) opens up possibilities for larger bore tips. Using that method and placing M6 triple flanges like the ones pictured above I get a more comfortable and easy fit compared to stock double flanges which were my previous tips of choice. Very useful stuff and highly recommended.
Well guys although i use the stock tips most of the time, i modded them in such a way that the bore of the tips are larger, and i slipped a shure core into the stock tips. Putting a chopstick into the stock tips and immersing them in hot water permanetly achieves this
My intention of doing so was to ensure the sound would not be absorbed into the stock tips, and to make sure that the sound would remain uncompromised as it exits the bore of the SM3. So far the treble is really nice now, bass isn't smeared, and vocals are very very slightly less muddied, and i have had the green filters removed as well. This comparison is done to the unmodded stock tips.
On a side note, the stock tips seems to fit me better than the medium or large shure olives, and it just sounds clear to me. the olives kinda muffles the dynamic range, but its not to a large extent. Still i use them interchangeably, depending on whether i need a little more isolation from the olives or just the best from the SM3. I, of course, reach out to the modded stock tips more often.
i couldn't get a seal with the comply tips (odd because i got a great seal using them on the etys -> is the nozzle the same size?)- the triple flanges were uncomfortable. in the quest for perfection, i got the um56s which, after 4 trips to the audiologist were perfect...until my dog chewed them
Too bad I sold it before trying the triple flanges. I could have experienced SM3 to maximum potential with those. As of now, I see the value of triple flanges from using it for many IEMs. Triple may be uncomfortable for some, but it will not fail to impress me.
Edited by High_Q - 4/22/11 at 6:58am
- Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Dunu TITAN Series: 1/1es/3/5 -- Ti-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear"... 34 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 46 seconds ago
- › Headphones that would fit for laptop and phone listening 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS! 2 minutes ago
- › closed back headphone recommendation needed 3 minutes ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 4 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by younes berrada
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CKW1000ANV Inner Ear Headphones 50th Anniversary... by kameenadesi
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2