I've tried Shure olives and Double flange tips, but I still prefer the comply tips, and curious what most people prefer. How can I fit MC tips to the SM3? Seems too thin for MC tips to stay in place.
Related Forum Threads
- A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02 Last post on 4/19/11 at 2:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear isolating headphones in my case between Shure SE535, Westone 3 and EarSonics SM3 Last post on 9/29/10 at 10:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- bored by my Shure SE420 :(... Need adivses for a model with a signature I like... Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535? Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 vs SM3 Last post on 10/27/11 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Poll Results: What tips do you preferThis is a multiple choice poll
56 Total Votespost #1 of 221/29/11 at 6:53pmThread Starter
26% of voters (15)Stock SM3 tips
26% of voters (15)Sensorcom Double flange
14% of voters (8)Shure Olives
10% of voters (6)MC Tri-flange
0% of voters (0)MC gel silicon
1% of voters (1)MC supertip
19% of voters (11)Others
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 221/29/11 at 8:14pmpost #3 of 221/30/11 at 7:06amThread Starterpost #4 of 221/30/11 at 9:36ampost #5 of 221/30/11 at 8:08pmThread Starter
I like the comply tips most of all so far. I feel like I'm missing details with them though. The comply smooths out the sound, kinda rolling off the highs(maybe contributing to detail loss), almost acting like a filter, but makes bass very smooth. I am gonna have to try tehort's idea, its very clever. something I've noticed about the comply tips is that it has a strong middle structure, kinda extending the core, which I think SM3 needs, so that you can fit soft tips like double flanges much deeper inside the ears. Trouble with double flange is that, I lose bass, and therefore bass is distorted, I missing low end and sound stage is narrow. I believe I need silicone tip with wide enough opening and great isoation, then I would get wide spectrum of sound with great bass impact.
Edited by High_Q - 2/3/11 at 4:00pmpost #6 of 222/3/11 at 7:28pmThread Starterpost #7 of 222/5/11 at 11:15ampost #8 of 222/5/11 at 12:06pmpost #9 of 222/5/11 at 3:26pmpost #10 of 222/5/11 at 4:18pm
I cut them quite short, but found they were too flimsy to insert fully unlike etys or shure flanges, probably due to the wider exit than the otherspost #11 of 222/6/11 at 12:46pm
Using the method tehort mentions above (using Olive Shure stems) opens up possibilities for larger bore tips. Using that method and placing M6 triple flanges like the ones pictured above I get a more comfortable and easy fit compared to stock double flanges which were my previous tips of choice. Very useful stuff and highly recommended.post #12 of 222/10/11 at 4:44pm
Well guys although i use the stock tips most of the time, i modded them in such a way that the bore of the tips are larger, and i slipped a shure core into the stock tips. Putting a chopstick into the stock tips and immersing them in hot water permanetly achieves this
My intention of doing so was to ensure the sound would not be absorbed into the stock tips, and to make sure that the sound would remain uncompromised as it exits the bore of the SM3. So far the treble is really nice now, bass isn't smeared, and vocals are very very slightly less muddied, and i have had the green filters removed as well. This comparison is done to the unmodded stock tips.
On a side note, the stock tips seems to fit me better than the medium or large shure olives, and it just sounds clear to me. the olives kinda muffles the dynamic range, but its not to a large extent. Still i use them interchangeably, depending on whether i need a little more isolation from the olives or just the best from the SM3. I, of course, reach out to the modded stock tips more often.post #13 of 224/17/11 at 9:42pm
i couldn't get a seal with the comply tips (odd because i got a great seal using them on the etys -> is the nozzle the same size?)- the triple flanges were uncomfortable. in the quest for perfection, i got the um56s which, after 4 trips to the audiologist were perfect...until my dog chewed thempost #14 of 224/22/11 at 6:52amThread Starter
Too bad I sold it before trying the triple flanges. I could have experienced SM3 to maximum potential with those. As of now, I see the value of triple flanges from using it for many IEMs. Triple may be uncomfortable for some, but it will not fail to impress me.
Edited by High_Q - 4/22/11 at 6:58amReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Violectric HPA V281 - Vorsprung durch Balanced 18 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 35 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › iCAN micro SE – (thanks to Meze - you guys are great!) Things are... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › IEM for pc Use <100 euro 4 minutes ago
- › Headphone suggestions for my office. 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by Falconlistener
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Questyle Q192 DAC with Headphone Amplifier silver by noobandroid
- › Meze 11 Neo by B9Scrambler
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear