I've tried Shure olives and Double flange tips, but I still prefer the comply tips, and curious what most people prefer. How can I fit MC tips to the SM3? Seems too thin for MC tips to stay in place.
Related Forum Threads
- A few questions about RE0 -> DBA-02 Last post on 4/19/11 at 2:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best in-ear isolating headphones in my case between Shure SE535, Westone 3 and EarSonics SM3 Last post on 9/29/10 at 10:08pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- bored by my Shure SE420 :(... Need adivses for a model with a signature I like... Last post on 8/24/10 at 4:41pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- EarSonics SM3 or Shure SE535? Last post on 7/12/10 at 8:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- SE535 vs SM3 Last post on 10/27/11 at 5:34am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
Last edited: 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
INTRODUCTION Because I’ve been involved with some review samples with my Australian brethren in the last couple of years, I’ve had the chance to hear some IEMs I’ve been curious about in the...
The Little Dot line of headphone amps represent what is possible when a Chinese production amp doesn't cut corners on build quality and engineering. This amp has my vote as the best desktop hybrid...
My dac progression has been in the sub 1000.00 range and frankly I doubt I will ever exceed that mark further I find it hard to believe there is anything better in this price range. My musical...
Specifications: Driver: Titanium Diaphgram Dynamic Driver 13mm Sensitivity: 90+- 2dB Reproduction Frequency: 20Hz-30kHz Cable Length: 1.2m Plug: 3.5mm Stere Mini Weight: 18g Comes With: 1...
Hi guys, I spent several hours (more than 40 hours research) to find the best headphone for my budget (under AUD $200). I tried to read as many reviews (mainly the 1-2 stars) as I could to know...
- Basic Guide To In Ear Canalphones
Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Poll Results: What tips do you prefer
26% (15)Stock SM3 tips
26% (15)Sensorcom Double flange
14% (8)Shure Olives
10% (6)MC Tri-flange
0% (0)MC gel silicon
1% (1)MC supertip
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I like the comply tips most of all so far. I feel like I'm missing details with them though. The comply smooths out the sound, kinda rolling off the highs(maybe contributing to detail loss), almost acting like a filter, but makes bass very smooth. I am gonna have to try tehort's idea, its very clever. something I've noticed about the comply tips is that it has a strong middle structure, kinda extending the core, which I think SM3 needs, so that you can fit soft tips like double flanges much deeper inside the ears. Trouble with double flange is that, I lose bass, and therefore bass is distorted, I missing low end and sound stage is narrow. I believe I need silicone tip with wide enough opening and great isoation, then I would get wide spectrum of sound with great bass impact.
Edited by High_Q - 2/3/11 at 4:00pm
I cut them quite short, but found they were too flimsy to insert fully unlike etys or shure flanges, probably due to the wider exit than the others
Using the method tehort mentions above (using Olive Shure stems) opens up possibilities for larger bore tips. Using that method and placing M6 triple flanges like the ones pictured above I get a more comfortable and easy fit compared to stock double flanges which were my previous tips of choice. Very useful stuff and highly recommended.
Well guys although i use the stock tips most of the time, i modded them in such a way that the bore of the tips are larger, and i slipped a shure core into the stock tips. Putting a chopstick into the stock tips and immersing them in hot water permanetly achieves this
My intention of doing so was to ensure the sound would not be absorbed into the stock tips, and to make sure that the sound would remain uncompromised as it exits the bore of the SM3. So far the treble is really nice now, bass isn't smeared, and vocals are very very slightly less muddied, and i have had the green filters removed as well. This comparison is done to the unmodded stock tips.
On a side note, the stock tips seems to fit me better than the medium or large shure olives, and it just sounds clear to me. the olives kinda muffles the dynamic range, but its not to a large extent. Still i use them interchangeably, depending on whether i need a little more isolation from the olives or just the best from the SM3. I, of course, reach out to the modded stock tips more often.
i couldn't get a seal with the comply tips (odd because i got a great seal using them on the etys -> is the nozzle the same size?)- the triple flanges were uncomfortable. in the quest for perfection, i got the um56s which, after 4 trips to the audiologist were perfect...until my dog chewed them
Too bad I sold it before trying the triple flanges. I could have experienced SM3 to maximum potential with those. As of now, I see the value of triple flanges from using it for many IEMs. Triple may be uncomfortable for some, but it will not fail to impress me.
Edited by High_Q - 4/22/11 at 6:58am
- Poll: Which Earsonics SM3 tips do you prefer most?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 56 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › [Poor Man Reviews] Final Audio Design Heaven 7, Heaven 8, and Lab 1 2 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables? 4 minutes ago
- › Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii 5 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 5 minutes ago
- › Roll Call for Team AKG 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone 6 minutes ago
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Brooko
- › Little Dot I+ by Zeejet
- › MHDT labs havana by joespride
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Dsnuts
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by Janos Kardos
- › Sony MDR-10RBT Bluetooth Headphone by Giogio
- › Bose SoundLink On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black by Giogio
- › Harman Kardon BT by Giogio
- › Philips Fidelio M2BT by Giogio
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by cuiter23
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3