Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Poll: What's your pad of choice with a stock Grado or Alessandro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Poll: What's your pad of choice with a stock Grado or Alessandro?

Poll Results: What are your favorite pads of choice for stock Grado/Alessandro use?

 
  • 14% (7)
    Comfies
  • 23% (11)
    Bowls
  • 27% (13)
    TTVJ Flats
  • 10% (5)
    G-Cush
  • 4% (2)
    HD414
  • 4% (2)
    Comfies quarter mod
  • 2% (1)
    HD414 quarter mod
  • 4% (2)
    HD414 reverse quarter mod
  • 6% (3)
    Reverse bowls
  • 2% (1)
    Other
47 Total Votes  
post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

While I wait for my incoming ms-1i, back in the day, headfiers were pretty happy with the TTVJ flats. There were lots of Grado mods, but those were very popular more or less across the board for stock Grado/Alessandros. Times have changed though, maybe having something to do with the i updates, and I'm noticing lots more seem to be enjoying the bowls again, or revisiting the HD414 pads.

 

There are a gazillion threads about Grado pads, but no really updated nonscientific poll. What's your favorite pad of choice with a stock Grado or Alessandro and why? The reason I emphasize stock is that there are a billion and one mods for Grados, and each of those mods would impact which pads would be preferred. But we're kind of a democracy here, so if you have Grados that were left in stock form for about 30 seconds after you got them, and you feel like you gotta have a say, then have at.

 

Step forward all ye Grado lovers and ye shall be heard! gs1000.gif

post #2 of 26

What if someone uses different pads for different models? Like G-cush for GS1000; Bowls for RS1? wink_face.gif

 

I like to use flats or reverse bowls for most Grados. except for PS1000, GS1000 and HF-2 (jumbos).

post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong View Post

While I wait for my incoming ms-1i, back in the day, headfiers were pretty happy with the TTVJ flats. There were lots of Grado mods, but those were very popular more or less across the board for stock Grado/Alessandros. Times have changed though, maybe having something to do with the i updates, and I'm noticing lots more seem to be enjoying the bowls again, or revisiting the HD414 pads.

 

There are a gazillion threads about Grado pads, but no really updated nonscientific poll. What's your favorite pad of choice with a stock Grado or Alessandro and why? The reason I emphasize stock is that there are a billion and one mods for Grados, and each of those mods would impact which pads would be preferred. But we're kind of a democracy here, so if you have Grados that were left in stock form for about 30 seconds after you got them, and you feel like you gotta have a say, then have at.

 

Step forward all ye Grado lovers and ye shall be heard! gs1000.gif


Flats are still the best IMO. I think most people are going bowls simply for convenience. My faves are flats, then bagels. I do also have a modded  pad which has leather pads over it which s ultra bassy.

post #4 of 26

I can't answer in the poll, but ...

 

smile_phones.gif

 

SR80i, SR125i, SR225i, MS2i: comfies with -3dB at 8kHz EQ

 

HF2 with 414 pads and no EQ

 

RS2i with comfies and no EQ.

 

I have bowls, jumbos, and flats.  The bowls don't fit my ears right and become uncomfortable over time.  No matter how I adjust them.

 

I only ever tried the flats and jumbos with the HF2.  Too much bass with the flats, and too little treble.  But they might work better with a "std" Grado like the 225, etc. Jumbos with the HF2's: I felt the mids became too recessed and there was too much sibilance to the highs.  But Cee Tee here really likes the jumbos with his HF2's, so ymmv.

 

Maybe early next week I'll try the flats and jumbos with the RS2i.

post #5 of 26

Did not like the reversed quarter modded HD414 pads with my MS-1i. It sounded thin and abrasive. I don't mind it still quarter modded but non reversed. That solitary vote for comfies above is mine.

post #6 of 26

I switch between jumbos and bowls but the jumbos spend the most time on my 325's.

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

What if someone uses different pads for different models? Like G-cush for GS1000; Bowls for RS1? wink_face.gif

 

I like to use flats or reverse bowls for most Grados. except for PS1000, GS1000 and HF-2 (jumbos).



Then the poll would be very long indeed. blink.gif

 

Yeah I did love the flats, but it seems tougher to order than before. Todd's using UPS and can send them for the bargain price of over 100 bucks. I guess you have to email him before buying. I also used to experiment with the headphile C-pads but they were too big, I couldn't adjust the headband small enough so of course the sound suffered greatly.

 

Of course it's a moot point for me personally right now, because I ordered on Monday and Alessandro hasn't yet answered my email query sent yesterday. I figure they'll get here eventually though.

 

I just thought that it would be a fun way to get a finger on the pulse of Grado fans, to see what they're using nowadays. That's why I didn't just ask about the ms-1i. Keep the opinions coming! popcorn.gif

 

Edit: To their credit, Alessandro got back to me on a Saturday, so props to them for that. 

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong View Post


Yeah I did love the flats, but it seems tougher to order than before. Todd's using UPS and can send them for the bargain price of over 100 bucks. I guess you have to email him before buying.

 

OK, you're international.  I wonder why he doesn't use USPS International Priority Mail?  I would think that'd be a lot cheaper.

 

I just got them recently, and no problem ordering them.

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 

Todd's site won't allow me to select USPS, and says the calculation is unknown. I'm not sure why, since plenty of websites allow USPS cost calculation for international shipping. So while it's there as an option, it's not selectable. I remember him being a really nice guy when I got the HF-1s so I'm sure it's just a case of having to email first.

post #10 of 26

If and when I get Grados, I will ONLY use whatever pads are comfortable even if the SQ isn't as good. So comfies, possibly quarter modded, and what else?

 

Comfort is TOP priority.

 

I really wanna try these:

 

MS1i

325i or MS Pro

SR225i

RS1i

 

Someone please describe all the types of pads available for the Grado/Alessandros.

 

I want one of these cans for work use (to replace my KSC75). I need them extremely open, which is why I want Grados.

post #11 of 26

IMO the jumbos are very comfortable because they go around your ear, not on it. The sound to me is better than the bowls though the mids get pushed back a little and the highs are not as bright, which might even be a good thing for some. I do EQ the mids back up a little when I am using jumbos.

post #12 of 26

Can you show me pics between the jumbos and bowls? I'm confuzzled. Lol.

post #13 of 26

GradoPads.jpg

 

 

GradoMod2.jpg

post #14 of 26

Hmm... I would ask you how the MS1i would be with Jumbos, but I know you didn't care for the MS1i to begin with. Perhaps I should go straight to the SR225i?

 

I want both the comfies and jumbos, though for the price of the SR225i, jumbos and comfies, I could just get a 325i with comfies to lower the piercing treble. <_<

 

I'm actually expecting a pair of 325 goldies from a friend sometime in March... maybe...

post #15 of 26

My MS-1's came with the flat pads. I never had the L-cushes or G-cushes to use with them. I have read however that the MS-1's don't do well with the jumbos (at least without distancers), not sure about the bowls though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Poll: What's your pad of choice with a stock Grado or Alessandro?