So, after a couple weeks, the pico DAC/amp has arrived. Some observations:
- using the SM3
- no noise at all
- channel imbalance at very low volume. Therefore I just lower foobar's volume and increase pico's volume.
- using Audio Techinca A900
- compared to laptop headphone out, significant increase in high and low frequencies
- the A900's resonance and messiness at high frequencies becomes very obvious
- very low frequency extension and power
The A900's and SM3 are pretty easy to drive, so no comments on high power performance. No intentions to blast my ears.
I should experiment someday: using a very low volume in foobar so pico gets very low accuracy numbers, and use hi gain and hi volume and hear if any harmonics are generated. Mathematically, it should mean more square/triangle wave output so a fourier transform should result in additional non-fundamental frequencies...but is it audible...
some physical observations:
- the LED indicators are very interesting...is it bipolar?
- surprisingly small
- likes to absorb fingerprints
- very solid feeling volume and gain switches
- it does pick up RF interference- if you put your cell phone on it and call, you will hear the interference