I received my set of DT990 600 ohm cans two weeks ago. They sounded impressive right out of the box, but I decided it couldn't hurt to give 'em some exercise. I ran the Comcast "dance/electronica" channel through them 24/7. Anyway, I've been putting them through their paces. They sound terrific. On some audio CD's I EQ the treble down a bit. I wanted detail and I got it in spades with these cans! I've never been a bass head but these phones deliver such a clean lower end that I'm re-experiencing my favorite music (and movies) with deeper ears. I still don't like thumping by brains out; this bass is precise and not overblown. One thing that really surprised me: these 600ohm cans run fine from my 4G iPod Touch (?!). That's without an amp, and no, I'm not delusional. I tried running the iPod signal through the iPod interface on my Pioneer VSX 1019AH receiver and it didn't sound much better (if at all). Of course, I had to crank the iPod volume almost all the way up, but the sound was totally tolerable. Running the original CD (which I had ripped to iTunes) through my PS3 sounded better, due to the revealing nature of these cans. No surprise there. But I can enjoy music through my iPod without an amp and that wasn't expected. Most of my listening will be through my sound system (blu-rays & CD's). All in all fantastic headphones. Kudos to Head-Fi.org for giving us this conduit of valuable information. Happy listening!
Related Forum Threads
- Beyerdynamic dt990 premium help Last post on 1/3/12 at 8:09am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Last post on 1/6/12 at 10:27am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyedynamic DT990 (32) vs DT770 (250) (NEED HELP QUICKLY :P) Last post on 8/31/11 at 5:06am in Headphones (full-size)
- Beyerdynamic DT990 32 ohm review - Crisp sound with perhaps a touch of Grey "EQ" Poupon... Last post on 7/6/13 at 2:53am in Headphones (full-size)
- Are "horns" on headband of new Beyerdynamic Dt990 32ohm normal? (w/ pics) Last post on 3/31/11 at 11:58pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
FOREWARD: as a relatively new user to head-fi, i dont expect many of you to take my review seriously. however, although i'm new to POSTING on this site, i've been an audiophile and a lurker of this...
Color! Because I feel in the mood for it. No, not really, this is just for the comparison. So, Red, & Green? Red - Not For Me. Green - Solid, & something I personally like. Comparison is...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank LH Labs for providing me with a review sample of GeekOut in exchange for my honest opinion. I thought I was done with my round of portable USB...
I have owned these headphones for about a week. The sounds quality is great but I'm not sure if I can wear these longer than 1 hour. My ears get way too warm. Would love a bit more airflow.
Hello, I owned a J3 32GB player for 2 or three years, so I got to know all it's advantages and disadvantages. The good This thing has much more output power than most non-audiophile...
beyer dt990 - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 393/7/11 at 6:33pmpost #33 of 393/8/11 at 5:35pmThread StarterTill u use a proper headphone amp, it will go from sound good to sound excellent...
I use it on my ipod mini then add a simple diy cmoy amp, it really open up the sound with better texture and smoothness...post #34 of 393/9/11 at 7:28ampost #35 of 393/9/11 at 10:03am
It really is not as much about volume as fullness of the overall sound. You can hear the music without an external amplifier but you won't hear the music those headphones can make directly out of an mp3 player. Even with my Cowon J3, which is louder than any other mp3 player I have owned, there is simply not enough power to fill the sails on these headphones. It is sort of like a narrow beam spotlight versus a floodlight. You get the central image from both but it takes the floodlight to see the whole spectrum. I notice the greatest difference in the bass response which is sort of o.k. from an mp3 player but which becomes heaven-sent when fed by an external amplifier. Interestingly, treble response also seems clearer and more controlled through an amplifier. For lack of a better expression, the sound becomes bigger when these headphones are amplified.
I don't even bother listening to these headphones from an mp3 player. I tried it again when I got the J3 since it seemed more powerful than my other players (ipod touch, Zune HD, Fuze, Walkman) but I could hear what I was not hearing and it was too unfullfilling to enjoy. If I was not experienced with these headphones amplified, I might have had a different impression. As it is, I have other headphones which sound great directly from an mp3 player and I save the DT-990's for their intended use.
Edited by Kappy21 - 3/9/11 at 10:05ampost #36 of 393/10/11 at 8:06ampost #37 of 395/6/11 at 7:18pmpost #38 of 397/9/11 at 4:34ampost #39 of 398/8/11 at 11:19am
For those wondering how to tell which version of DT 990's they have (I found out the one's I got weren't the ones I orders (good news is I worked with the vendor and they are shipping me the correct ones ) )
I received this information from Beyerdynamic via a request sent to their site:
There are a couple of ways to tell which impedance you have for your DT 990 headset. One way is it is checked off on the side of the
Original packing box that it comes in.
The other way is the most accurate way and that is to remove the ear pad and black clamp ring and look at the driver. The back of the driver has color marks around the terminals.
The color code for
32 ohm is green,
250 ohm is red,
and 600 ohm is yellow.
We do have universal cables that say 32 ohms. You will find this on the 32 ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm.
The difference between the impedances are mainly because they are used for different applications.
32 ohms: ideal with portable players. (iPod, iPad, smart phones, lap tops)
250 ohms: ideal for home audio
600 ohm: ideal for audiophile use with high end amps
I take no credit for this and use at your own risk but hopefully it might be of help to some.
BTW as it turns out I got the 32 Ohm version - Not bad but not what I ordered.
- beyer dt990
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 28 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 43 seconds ago
- › REVIEW - AUNE AUDIO S16 - Single box DAC and Headphone Amplifier. 4 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Miracle Review & Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 7 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 8 minutes ago
- › Keep HD650 or HD700 8 minutes ago
- › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions 9 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by xsk3l3t0rx
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM02 balanced amature inner earphone by ahnvx
- › Geek Out 450 USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by motion2082
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by viperxp
- › Audio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphones ATH-AD900X by kite7
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheJniac
- › AKG K 550 by ahnvx
- › SKULLCANDY SLYR Circumaural Headset by ChromiumCola
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by JoeDoe
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2