Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ditch iTunes, get foobar2000 and tweak it to your liking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ditch iTunes, get foobar2000 and tweak it to your liking - Page 3

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGOelfke View Post

I have been debating about switching from iTunes to either MediaMonkey or Foobar2000 for quite a while now, as both have the full iPod software compatibility. However, the only reason I have stuck with iTunes this long is for the selection available in the store. For those of you who do use Foobar or MediaMonkey, do you use Amazon mp3? Or just torrenting?



I have foobar, Mediamonkey, and iTunes on my computer (and WMP12, but I only watch videos with that). I haven't bought anything from iTunes,( I only have had it for a couple weeks now) because as far as I know, what you get would be AAC, which won't play on all of my DAPs. So if I do buy something online, it has been from Amazon MP3. There are, of course, other methods which shouldn't be discussed here....but I do like buying a CD so that I know it is ripped properly.

post #32 of 52

3 of the 4 DAPs in your profile will play purchases from iTunes, not that I'm advocating that.  I've downloaded a lot of free tracks from iTunes and Amazon, but I've only purchased one album off of Amazon.  I only purchased it because that was the only source of the music at the time.  Normally, if I like the free music enough to want the album, I buy the CD.

post #33 of 52

is foobar compatible with linux? just wondering because i just installed ubuntu and i am looking for a good media player.

post #34 of 52
Thread Starter 

foobar2000 is Windows only. Maybe try running it with Wine, though I have no idea of the compatibility or the output itself.

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

foobar2000 is Windows only. Maybe try running it with Wine, though I have no idea of the compatibility or the output itself.



ok thanks i guess i will keep using windows 7 on my bigger computer. its just my netbook i have linux on. wanted to try it mostly and like what i am seeing.

post #36 of 52

Foobar has two installation modes, normal and portable. In the latter it won't touch your Windows registry, so you can try it out without worrying.

post #37 of 52

I've heard it runs pretty well with Wine.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

is foobar compatible with linux? just wondering because i just installed ubuntu and i am looking for a good media player.

post #38 of 52
Thread Starter 

I've been reading a few things, and it seems that there are quite some issues with USB DACs when running foobar2000 through Wine.

post #39 of 52
So I, a noob with itunes and other players, am confused on this moon speak with wrappers and vst and blah blah. I currently use foobar2000 but I've recently converted to, actually will convert to, ipad and I'm looking to use a player that is compatible with it. I see I'm going to need plugins to work the magic. I'm starting to convert my FLACs to ALACs but idk what t o do with the rest of my songs which are mp3 format.

Can a kind, knowledgeable, person here share their knowledge with me on how to work foobar's magic and post a guide/walkthrough? Thanks!!! will be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

So I, a noob with itunes and other players, am confused on this moon speak with wrappers and vst and blah blah. I currently use foobar2000 but I've recently converted to, actually will convert to, ipad and I'm looking to use a player that is compatible with it. I see I'm going to need plugins to work the magic. I'm starting to convert my FLACs to ALACs but idk what t o do with the rest of my songs which are mp3 format.

Can a kind, knowledgeable, person here share their knowledge with me on how to work foobar's magic and post a guide/walkthrough? Thanks!!! will be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif

 

Youll probably have to use itunes on the ipad to listen to music. I know theres third party players too such as Amp but it loads really slow on my iphone so I dont even bother. Use a program like dbpoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC then keep your MP3s as they are. You cant upgrade MP3s to lossless.


btw, is that you in the avatar? tongue_smile.gif

post #41 of 52

 

Yes, you can use foobar to sync files to an ipod (i presume ipad uses the same system, i don't own one) You need to place foo_dop.dll in the components directory and you'll need to have itunes installed (although you don't need to use it). I've been meaning to add a section on ipods to a wiki i've been writing on foobar but I don't have an ipod at the moment so it'll have to wait. I'm sure if you type "ipod foo_dop" into google one of the results will explain how to do it.

 

Files wise, converting to ALAC and leaving your mp3  files as is sounds sensible, I presume you have a batch converter for that job though.

post #42 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post



 

Youll probably have to use itunes on the ipad to listen to music. I know theres third party players too such as Amp but it loads really slow on my iphone so I dont even bother. Use a program like dbpoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC then keep your MP3s as they are. You cant upgrade MP3s to lossless.


btw, is that you in the avatar? tongue_smile.gif


Don't advise people on using iSoftware when they're using foobar. That's just absurd, and is only recommended when having a gun pointed to the face (as in a device that's not yet fully supported by the sync plugin).

 

@Girls Generation: Try taking a look at this: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=82278&view=findpost&p=733519

 

 

 

post #43 of 52
^ LOL!!

I have dbpoweramp and its batch converter ^-^

I'll look up on foo_dop.dll then tyty:)
post #44 of 52

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperSD View Post


Youll probably have to use itunes on the ipad to listen to music. I know theres third party players too such as Amp but it loads really slow on my iphone so I dont even bother. Use a program like dbpoweramp to convert FLAC to ALAC then keep your MP3s as they are. You cant upgrade MP3s to lossless.


btw, is that you in the avatar? tongue_smile.gif


Because we are all little asian girls in real life.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post


Don't advise people on using iSoftware when they're using foobar. That's just absurd, and is only recommended when having a gun pointed to the face (as in a device that's not yet fully supported by the sync plugin).


So you're saying that foobar2k runs on ipad?

post #45 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post


So you're saying that foobar2k runs on ipad?



Wait, I thought I read about players on pc, not on iPad. Nevermind.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Ditch iTunes, get foobar2000 and tweak it to your liking