Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Yulong A100 headphone amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Yulong A100 headphone amp - Page 5

post #61 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post


Could be the fuse, which is next to the AC plug slot.

 

The red box next to the ac plug?  Everything appears to be fine on the outside; nothing loose.  I am listening to it now and it is working fine but still has that damn noise inside when I move it.  Damnit.

 

Thanks project86.

post #62 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBerube80 View Post
 

 

The red box next to the ac plug?  Everything appears to be fine on the outside; nothing loose.  I am listening to it now and it is working fine but still has that damn noise inside when I move it.  Damnit.

 

Thanks project86.

 

 

If I recall correctly, there's a part that opens up so you can replace the fuse. And there should be a spare fuse already in there. That's what I think might be making the noise. It happened to someone with their D100 and that's what they determined. 

post #63 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

 

If I recall correctly, there's a part that opens up so you can replace the fuse. And there should be a spare fuse already in there. That's what I think might be making the noise. It happened to someone with their D100 and that's what they determined. 

 

That was it!!!  They include two spare fuses, one is clamped in, and the other is floating inside the hollow square part of the insert that you speak of.  Thanks again.  You're the man, I'm the fan!

post #64 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBerube80 View Post
 

 

That was it!!!  They include two spare fuses, one is clamped in, and the other is floating inside the hollow square part of the insert that you speak of.  Thanks again.  You're the man, I'm the fan!

 

 

Happy to help!

post #65 of 71

project86, great review thank you for your time.

 

In our opinion would A10 be a worthwhile upgrade from TubeDAC-11 to go with fostex th600 or should one be looking (listening)  to burson soloist-SL or even A18?

 

tx

post #66 of 71
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by russfoul View Post
 

project86, great review thank you for your time.

 

In our opinion would A10 be a worthwhile upgrade from TubeDAC-11 to go with fostex th600 or should one be looking (listening)  to burson soloist-SL or even A18?

 

tx

 

 

If you were able to go balanced for the TH600, the new Yulong A28 is a great amp for the money. I'd choose it over the Soloist SL. But if you stick with single ended, you don't get the full benefit of the A28, so maybe in that case A100 would be good enough. Low price, accurate clean sound, especially good with lower impedance headphones. 

post #67 of 71

How do you think this amp would pair with Mad Dog 3.2's?  I know that the "magic combo" of under $500 amps is considered to be the Schiit Lyr with MD's but this Yulong A100 also sounds promising and I can get it for well under $400.  Has anybody used it with Mad Dogs yet?  I'm thinking of picking one up from Craigslist today so if no one else can answer I'll probably be able to later today.

post #68 of 71
Thread Starter 
It probably does well - I didn't actually try it when I had the Mad dogs here. But generally speaking it is a nice, neutral amp that does well with lower impedance loads. So it should work just fine.
post #69 of 71
Thanks for your quick reply. I pulled the plug and bought the Yulong A100 yesterday. My first impression is that this is an awesome pairing but I'll need to put it through its paces before jumping up and down about it. The main reason I wanted a full size headphone amp was to listen to my audio Blu Ray, SACDs and DVD audio discs in my home theater rig. Right now I'm listening to The Smartest Monkeys from the Blu Ray of XTC's Nonesuch. The clarity and instrument separation is amazing. The Mad Dog 3.2s with the A100 playing Blu Ray sound like my old K701's on steroids.

I also listened to Van Morrison's Moondance Blu-ray and it sounded amazing. The vocals, piano and horns were all taken to the next level (which is why I paid $50 for the album in the first place). I also had time to hear the Shun SACD of The Rolling Stones Tattoo You. Waiting on a friend is one of my favorite songs and I was not disappointed in what I was hearing. The sax sounded great and the song is melodic and slow but was still fun and engaging to listen too.

I only had a cheap throw away interconnect laying around to hook this up with. Based on my past experiences the sound should open up a little more and the vocals will flesh out even more with a better IC. I ordered a Morrow Audio MA1 which will take a couple of weeks to get. I'll need to hear this rig with the better cables as well as listen to a few straight CDs just to make sure it's not just the HD audio that sounds so good.

I'll bring the Yulong A100 with an Oppo SACD player to the March LA meet if anyone locally would like to hear it.
post #70 of 71
Thread Starter 

Nice, I'm glad it works for you. Finding stuff locally is always a nice bonus, saves on shipping and you get to play with it immediately. 

post #71 of 71

I am interested in getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms, does anyone have experience of how they pair with this amp? Also, for the DT880 600 what would you recommend between the A100 and a Schiit Asgard?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review: Yulong A100 headphone amp