My Taboo arrives tomorrow. I have been waiting very patiently...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 1/25/11
- brandDecwaretagged by System, 1/25/11
- productDecware csp-2tagged by System, 1/27/11
- productDecware Taboo 6W amptagged by System, 2/5/12
- productDenon AHD2000 High Performance Over-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 4/8/11
- brandMaverick Audiotagged by System, 1/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12) Last post on 7/7/14 at 9:11pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Taboo Last post on 3/10/13 at 6:16am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Head Fi's Favourite Amp for the Audeze LCD 2: $1000-$2000 [POLL] Last post on 4/29/14 at 11:56pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Your headphone pet peeves Last post on 10/14/13 at 7:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone + AMP and DAC for Metal and Electronic Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
Presentation That's a lovely box it comes in. I'm not being snarky at all; it really is nice. Totally for presentation though, not for transport/portability. Construction The...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images The formula above in the title simply refers to Sound Quality + Build Quality + Perceived Value. ...
So I've had this thing for a bit now... first one to ship into the wild and arrive at its home. I'd say I'm pretty confident I know what this thing sounds like. The interface is classic...
Let's keep this short. There are better headphones out there without any cons. The Grado RS1i can get shouty at times or give a bit of weird bass. The comfort isn't great either although I changed...
First of all, I have bought these headphones exactly one week ago. I have upgraded to these from my Superlux 668b. I will do a review now, and update it after another couple of weeks worth...
Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment - Page 5post #61 of 4154/4/11 at 9:03pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #62 of 4154/5/11 at 1:06pmpost #63 of 4154/5/11 at 6:20pmpost #64 of 4154/5/11 at 7:53pm
The UPS delivery man was a bit late, but I finally got it setup and running. I was a bit taken back by the size of the thing. It's almost twice the size of my Mapletree amp. I won't comment on the sound that much except that it indeed sounds fantastic with the LCD-2's. A bit of a disappointment that it does not match well with my Grado's though. So far I tried it driven directly with the m902 and then using the Mapletree now as a preamp. I definitely hear a sense of more power and air with the Mapletree in place. I was originally going to sell it, but it looks like I'll be keeping it for a while now. My poor wallet.
As far as fit and finish, it is very solid and nicely built. It's built like a battleship but not industrial looking like the Woo amps. Well packaged too. I'll post some pictures later. I got a wooden volume knob instead of the gold one. I kind of wanted the gold one, but the wood knob ain't bad either.post #65 of 4154/5/11 at 8:04pmpost #66 of 4154/5/11 at 8:19pmpost #67 of 4154/5/11 at 8:34pmI don't have a T1, but the few minutes I spent today with the HD800 sounded quite nice. Nothing like the LCD-2, but very nice.
I am not running mine with a preamp--yet, I will be adding a Decware ZSTAGE to it--but the material on the Decware site states that a preamp or other gain stage will allow the dynamics to open up quite a bit more. For now, though my Taboo is not broken in, it sounds quite good without one.post #68 of 4154/6/11 at 5:05amThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by Pale Rider
I don't have a T1, but the few minutes I spent today with the HD800 sounded quite nice. Nothing like the LCD-2, but very nice.
I am not running mine with a preamp--yet, I will be adding a Decware ZSTAGE to it--but the material on the Decware site states that a preamp or other gain stage will allow the dynamics to open up quite a bit more. For now, though my Taboo is not broken in, it sounds quite good without one.
My CSP-2 bring the Taboo to another level entirely in dynamic that without it. I love the dynamics and much better focus and soundstage gets wider and the preamp gives it that final touch. I use a 12AT7 in the Taboo with the preamp. I do have 12AU7 and 12AX7 but find the old stock Mullard 12AT7 to be exceptional. They are available through Upscale Audio for 30.00post #69 of 4154/6/11 at 5:07amThread StarterQuote:
It plays both can well. Fang even preferred using the Taboo when he was here with the T1 when I had it and it also did well with the HD800 and I heard no noise or hum using the Taboo with those two cans when i owned them. I did prefer my CSP-2 with the T1 but it was so close. More power with the Taboo.post #70 of 4154/6/11 at 8:02amQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
My CSP-2 bring the Taboo to another level entirely in dynamic that without it. I love the dynamics and much better focus and soundstage gets wider and the preamp gives it that final touch. I use a 12AT7 in the Taboo with the preamp. I do have 12AU7 and 12AX7 but find the old stock Mullard 12AT7 to be exceptional. They are available through Upscale Audio for 30.00
Thanks for the rec Frank.
As a fellow valve-hound, do you have any idea if the Mullard GZ37 (CV378) will work for a rectifier tube? I read that it is "not a direct sub to the GZ34/5AR4 tube or 5U4G tube, it can be used in many of these circuits." Any idea if our Taboo is one of them?post #71 of 4154/6/11 at 10:37ampost #72 of 4154/6/11 at 4:32pm
Has anyone tried it with the Sophia Princess yet? I'm thinking about picking one up down the road. Along with some Mullards, Sylvanias, and Genelex Gold Lions.
Edited by SemiAudiophile - 4/6/11 at 5:40pmpost #73 of 4154/6/11 at 9:34pmQuote:By "it," what do you mean SA? I am running new Genalex Gold Lions in the Taboo. But based on Frank's rec, I ordered two platinum-graded, cryo-treated Mullard 12AT7 tubes from Upscale. I plan to use one in the Taboo and one in the ZSTAGE when it arrives.Has anyone tried it with the Sophia Princess yet? I'm thinking about picking one up down the road. Along with some Mullards, Sylvanias, and Genelex Gold Lions.
I wish I could figure out if the Mullard GZ37 will work.post #74 of 4154/6/11 at 10:23pm
I meant the Taboo...I think I recall Frank posted that he used it, but I don't remember if he had good results or if his impression has changed since then. I think the stock tubes do sound pretty good though.post #75 of 4154/6/11 at 11:11pmThe stock are indeed quite good. Steve has a knack for something that is widely hyped but rarely realized: synergy. When you look at his tube page, you don't see a bunch of exotic or esoteric tubes. He encourages tube rolling, but he supplies good all-around tube combos that simply sound excellent together.
Ah well, what's the worst that can happen with the GZ37?
- Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Minneapolis Meet 9/20/14 31 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › Colorfly C3 Appreciation and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Any other kid head-fiers? 3 minutes ago
- › Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning] 3 minutes ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › WHO ARE THE BEST LOOKING PEOPLE ON EARTH? 7 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 9 minutes ago
- › DIY Custom Amplifier and DAC- Project H 11 minutes ago
- › A pair of Tung-sol 5998s 13 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Grado RS1i Reference Series Headphones by Textfeud
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by donniefalcone
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by lizhenghong728
- › Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC Headphone Amplifier by cripple1
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)