Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment - Page 3

post #31 of 415
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

 

Quite a coincidence that I found this review just after sending an email to Steve Deckert asking about the performance of the Taboo with the Audez'e LCD-2. Although I have a Lyr on pre-order, and will probably keep it there, I am inclined to also order a Taboo.

My question for the OP, and anyone else with one:

1. Anyone running their Taboo straight out of their DAC, and if so, which one, and do you know your output voltage?

2. Anyone using the Taboo without preamp? Did you get the Taboo with the volume attenuator?

3. Anyone heard the Taboo with/without the V-caps? Sonic differences in this circuit topology?

TIA!

 


I use it strictly with my CSP-2 as I have monitors also connected but it will do fine standalone and I would recommend using the 12AX7 without a preamp as it will give you more gain than the lower 12AU7 and the medium 12AT& I use but is cool that its all adjustable with the tube swaps. Excellent match with the LCD2 and the HE6.

post #32 of 415
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post

 

Quite a coincidence that I found this review just after sending an email to Steve Deckert asking about the performance of the Taboo with the Audez'e LCD-2. Although I have a Lyr on pre-order, and will probably keep it there, I am inclined to also order a Taboo.

My question for the OP, and anyone else with one:

1. Anyone running their Taboo straight out of their DAC, and if so, which one, and do you know your output voltage?

2. Anyone using the Taboo without preamp? Did you get the Taboo with the volume attenuator?

3. Anyone heard the Taboo with/without the V-caps? Sonic differences in this circuit topology?

TIA!

 


I use it strictly with my CSP-2 as I have monitors also connected but it will do fine standalone and I would recommend using the 12AX7 without a preamp as it will give you more gain than the lower 12AU7 and the medium 12AT& I use but is cool that its all adjustable with the tube swaps. Excellent match with the LCD2 and the HE6.. Call Steve and he will answer those question you have and tell you your best course of action but the amp for me was well worth the price. I love it

post #33 of 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


 


I use it strictly with my CSP-2 as I have monitors also connected but it will do fine standalone and I would recommend using the 12AX7 without a preamp as it will give you more gain than the lower 12AU7 and the medium 12AT& I use but is cool that its all adjustable with the tube swaps. Excellent match with the LCD2 and the HE6.. Call Steve and he will answer those question you have and tell you your best course of action but the amp for me was well worth the price. I love it


Thanks Frank. Left Steve a message. Appreciate the tube recommendations. I I did a quick look at 12AX7 tubes. All sorts of candidates out there, but some exceptional info here. Thoughts?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. On the Taboo with V-caps. Just. Couldn't. Help. Myself.
post #34 of 415
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post



Thanks Frank. Left Steve a message. Appreciate the tube recommendations. I I did a quick look at 12AX7 tubes. All sorts of candidates out there, but some exceptional info here. Thoughts?I went ahead and pulled the trigger. On the Taboo with V-caps. Just. Couldn't. Help. Myself.


Genelex new production reissues getting some buzz. On audio asylum FAQ wer page Joes Tube Lore has a pretty good description of some 12AX7 I have used RFT in the past that sounded nice but I am liking the Mullard 12AT7 I am using but standalone you will need the 12AX7

post #35 of 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post



Thanks Frank. Left Steve a message. Appreciate the tube recommendations. I I did a quick look at 12AX7 tubes. All sorts of candidates out there, but some exceptional info here. Thoughts?I went ahead and pulled the trigger. On the Taboo with V-caps. Just. Couldn't. Help. Myself.


Genelex new production reissues getting some buzz. On audio asylum FAQ wer page Joes Tube Lore has a pretty good description of some 12AX7 I have used RFT in the past that sounded nice but I am liking the Mullard 12AT7 I am using but standalone you will need the 12AX7


I can certainly say that my 12AX7 Genalex Gold Lion competes very well with some of my highly regarded NOS tubes (Sylvania Black Plate Triple Mica, Sylvania Gray Plate Triple Mica, and Mullard). They are that good IMO. I do like my new issue Tung-Sol Gold and Electro-Harmonix Gold too...but they are not in the same league with the NOS tubes listed above AND the Genalex Gold Lions.

post #36 of 415

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


I can certainly say that my 12AX7 Genalex Gold Lion competes very well with some of my highly regarded NOS tubes (Sylvania Black Plate Triple Mica, Sylvania Gray Plate Triple Mica, and Mullard). They are that good IMO. I do like my new issue Tung-Sol Gold and Electro-Harmonix Gold too...but they are not in the same league with the NOS tubes listed above AND the Genalex Gold Lions.


Darn..I will need to pick up some of those. How about some EL84 recommendations? I know the Gold Lions make pretty good EL84's too.
 

post #37 of 415
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post


I can certainly say that my 12AX7 Genalex Gold Lion competes very well with some of my highly regarded NOS tubes (Sylvania Black Plate Triple Mica, Sylvania Gray Plate Triple Mica, and Mullard). They are that good IMO. I do like my new issue Tung-Sol Gold and Electro-Harmonix Gold too...but they are not in the same league with the NOS tubes listed above AND the Genalex Gold Lions.


Darn..I will need to pick up some of those. How about some EL84 recommendations? I know the Gold Lions make pretty good EL84's too.
 


The EL84 I decided on and like best is the Sylvania blackplates and the stock 6P15 that comes with the amp are very good also. The Genelex EL84 had less bass more extended top best UI heard but in the long term I did not care enough to keep them. It was not lush more toward bright for my taste and bass was missing so the dynamic drive wasn't there for me to keep them in my system. I use the EL84 Sylvanias with the Mullard 12AT7 with my preamp using Genelex 6922 which I love.

post #38 of 415

I love the Sylvania blackplates.  Super nice tubes.  Getting harder to find, unfortunately (like most nice NOS tubes...)

post #39 of 415

Thanks all for the recs. Ordered a set of the Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 for the Taboo.  

post #40 of 415
Thread Starter 

You only need one 12AX7 but you if you going to use  a preamp you will need less gain I believe but that is what you need for the Taboo by itself is higher gain. Please post your impressions when you get your amp  as I look forward to your opinion.

post #41 of 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


You only need one 12AX7 but you if you going to use  a preamp you will need less gain I believe but that is what you need for the Taboo by itself is higher gain. Please post your impressions when you get your amp  as I look forward to your opinion.


Frank, you are correct I only need one 12AX7, but I have a bad habit of ordering two of everything; I just can't stand the thought of having something fail on a Sunday morning, with no backup. wink.gif

Looking forward to posting impressions.  

 

 

post #42 of 415
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post



Frank, you are correct I only need one 12AX7, but I have a bad habit of ordering two of everything; I just can't stand the thought of having something fail on a Sunday morning, with no backup. ;)Looking forward to posting impressions.  

 

 


I know what you mean. I have about 15 12AU7,12AT7 and 12AX7 in my box plus 6922 and rectifiers. Enough to last years even backup power tubes 3 different pair of the EL94 plus 2 pairs of Sylvania I like . I need to buy some Mullard EL84 as soon as I get ahead with money again

post #43 of 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post



Frank, you are correct I only need one 12AX7, but I have a bad habit of ordering two of everything; I just can't stand the thought of having something fail on a Sunday morning, with no backup. ;)Looking forward to posting impressions.  

 

 


I know what you mean. I have about 15 12AU7,12AT7 and 12AX7 in my box plus 6922 and rectifiers. Enough to last years even backup power tubes 3 different pair of the EL94 plus 2 pairs of Sylvania I like . I need to buy some Mullard EL84 as soon as I get ahead with money again

Man after my own heart! I still have spare parts for cars I no longer own.
 

post #44 of 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

I love the Sylvania blackplates.  Super nice tubes.  Getting harder to find, unfortunately (like most nice NOS tubes...)

Skylab, this one?
 

post #45 of 415

I hate to buy into the hype but I have to admit I somehow feel quite attracted to that Taboo amp as I am starting to appreciate the sound of tube amp more since I got a modded Darkvoice 336SE. How does it stack up against the Apex Peak, another well received amp here,  but an hybrid one. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment