Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment - Page 18

post #256 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

Sseparate switch. Lucid switch is standard. Speaker/phones switch is on the opposite side if you have it - (Edit: Oops RHS) LHS viewed from the front.

 

Decware has four amp builders Steve D told us recently. It appears they build slightly differently!! A mark of hand-built, individual craft perhaps.

 

You might benefit from appropriate resistors, not sure. Chris J is an EE and might chime in... Chris?

 

For comparison, I briefly plugged my Beyer T1s into the Taboo when I first got mine (January this year). This combination sounded pretty ok - different but about level with my SS amps (Meier Concerto, Meier Classic, Violectric V100 - which I guess would be considered good midrange amps) and hybrid (Schiit Lyr, Matsu' 6922 tubes).

 

Whereas my LCD2s reached a completely new, higher level (detail, resolution, vividness) with the Taboo.

 

Less than two weeks ago I got the CSP2+... it has done for the T1s what the Taboo did for the LCD2.

 

I guess you could get an LCDx evil_smiley.gif

 

I jest - I understand HD800 and LCD are different as chalk and cheese.

 

My Taboo is about 6 weeks behind the CSP2+ in the queue. I spoke with Steve about the switch and he felt I should not put it in. I got the impression that while there are four builders, the switch is a choice for the buyer, not a builders decision. I opted for no switch and I'll do the resistor/speaker thing with the amp.   Can't wait for the pair of them to get here. popcorn.gif

post #257 of 404

^ Thanks for the correction about Decware's practice longbow.

 

I didn't know the speaker/phones switch was a choice, so I didn't specify. Actually, it would never have occurred to me to debate this!

 

Maybe that's just as well - options are not always a good thing for me wink.gif

 

And while I'm here, a brief note that the CSP2 certainly does boost the apparent power of the Taboo by - as Decware state - giving it 4V on its input rather than the 2-2.5V from the typical DAC.

 

The inefficient speakers I'm using (the Joey Roth ceramics, 89-90dB/1m/1W) go noticeably louder without strain. Frank I is quite right about the dynamics.

 

Have tried the LCD2s briefly - too early to say anything definitive as I get the impression their tone has changed. Hardly surprising. It's going to take time to re-establish my reference point.

post #258 of 404

AiDee, I called Steve about the switch because I had been listening to a Cary SLI-80 and it has one native on the front. I did not know it would involve compromises the way Decware builds their devices. I am not an engineer (I don't even play one on TV!) So I am not the one to ask the build details of. They will build what you want, but sometimes you have to be careful of what you wish for  biggrin.gif

post #259 of 404

Silly me, I bought the Taboo to power the HE-500, but decided I didn't like the "one size fits all" character of the HiFiMan. Bought a HD800 in the interim and.. oops.. forgot to remember the impedance specs. D'oh! At least I know my ears weren't lying to me. 

post #260 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous View Post

Silly me, I bought the Taboo to power the HE-500, but decided I didn't like the "one size fits all" character of the HiFiMan. Bought a HD800 in the interim and.. oops.. forgot to remember the impedance specs. D'oh! At least I know my ears weren't lying to me. 

 

Hey man, some weird lack of synergy perhaps?

Try putting an 8 Ohm resistor across each speaker output jack, it will make the Taboo think it is driving a low impedance load, and it may be just the thing to pull the sound together.

It doesn't hurt to try, you can buy two 3 or 4 Watt, 8 Ohm resistors for a couple of $ each. 

In theory, the HD800 should have no problem working from the Taboo.  But in practice....? If you don't love it, you don't love it.

post #261 of 404

I'm sure if Frank I is around he can give you some nice insight into the Taboo vs CSP  for the HD800.  Anyway I know he sold his taboo off and now uses the csp2 + HD800 as his primary headphone rig.  Anyway, it says right on the site that the headphone mod was meant specifically for planars, and I believe it was done with the LCD2 in mind.  So yeah the HD800 I believe would sound a little strange out of the taboo.  Just hit up the decware appreciation thread I'm sure you'll find many happy HD800+CSP2 users.  I don't thinnk most people have bothered to try the HD800 out of the taboo, but it's pretty crazy to hear that you think a SR225 sounds better haha

post #262 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

I'm sure if Frank I is around he can give you some nice insight into the Taboo vs CSP  for the HD800.  Anyway I know he sold his taboo off and now uses the csp2 + HD800 as his primary headphone rig.  Anyway, it says right on the site that the headphone mod was meant specifically for planars, and I believe it was done with the LCD2 in mind.  So yeah the HD800 I believe would sound a little strange out of the taboo.  Just hit up the decware appreciation thread I'm sure you'll find many happy HD800+CSP2 users.  I don't thinnk most people have bothered to try the HD800 out of the taboo, but it's pretty crazy to hear that you think a SR225 sounds better haha

 

LOL true, but only because the HD800 has one hand tied behind its back. It's like equipping a Bentley Continental with a Kia 4-cylinder engine. Sure, it looks great in the parking lot, but a stock Kia would blow its doors off... more or less. Which is what the SR225 does in this application.

 

Of course, empirically, the HD800 is a more capable and luxurious headphone. No doubt about that. It's just a case of poor component synergy. I don't think it requires "audiophile ears" to discern in this case. I'm pretty sure most casual listeners would prefer the immediacy and liveliness of the SR225 on this stock Taboo. It's actually a pretty awesome amp for Grados. Tube crossfeed and bass extension combined with the Grado signature? Heck yeah. I might just buy an RS1... hmmmmm...


Edited by Nick Dangerous - 9/17/12 at 1:41am
post #263 of 404

I have the CSP2+ coming shortly. The Taboo is a few weeks behind in the queue. I had thought i was going to get some planers but I am leaning more toward a pair of JH16's for all my work travel. Since I am using Sennheiser's (HD650/HD25-1) should I cancel the Taboo order and just stick with the CSP2+ for now?

post #264 of 404

Not an easy question. Have you had much opportunity to audition planars though?

 

I only have experience with LCD2s, but they are certainly unique in my experience (Grado SR60, SR80, SR125, RS1; Stax Lambda Pro; 5xx Senheisers; Beyer T1; sundry cheaper 'phones).

 

Like 'em or not, LCD2s are unusual in that their flat FR from lower-mids down brings a high degree of ambient information in this area. They tell you about the recording/performance venue or space from a 'bass perspective' in a similar way to how other phones tell you the story from a treble perspective. (Purely my interpretation, IMHO etc. It is only fair to add that two head-fiers in the LCD2 thread ridiculed this idea!).

 

As well, their slightly attenuated high-end mimics the attenuation that happens in live venues and even home speaker listening to a large extent. This may be partly why they're often described as "natural sounding".

 

Guess what I'm saying is they're a great complement to other 'phones, supposing you want to have more than one...

post #265 of 404

I have not heard either Audeze or HiFiMan. So, no planer exposure. I like your description AiDee. I have always enjoyed your posts and I trust your opinion here. I am really interested in checking them out at RMAF next month. Frankly, I will be enjoying one of the primary benefits of the event by simply trying out a bunch of gear I keep reading about for myself. So, I am torn between letting the Taboo continue to be built or holding until I decide on the best use of it.rolleyes.gif I did get a CSP2+ update today. It is in QC and waiting on the Maple base parts to be finished....Not long now!

post #266 of 404
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

I'm sure if Frank I is around he can give you some nice insight into the Taboo vs CSP  for the HD800.  Anyway I know he sold his taboo off and now uses the csp2 + HD800 as his primary headphone rig.  Anyway, it says right on the site that the headphone mod was meant specifically for planars, and I believe it was done with the LCD2 in mind.  So yeah the HD800 I believe would sound a little strange out of the taboo.  Just hit up the decware appreciation thread I'm sure you'll find many happy HD800+CSP2 users.  I don't thinnk most people have bothered to try the HD800 out of the taboo, but it's pretty crazy to hear that you think a SR225 sounds better haha

The HD800 sounds best  IMO on the CSP2. The csp2 is a SET ad not pentode and also for high impedance cans IMO it cannot be beat especially with the outstanding selection of 6922 tube types. I seen no reason to keep my taboo as I sold the speakers and the orthos. I have has the CSP2 longer than any amp I have owned and it will never get sold. Its the best I have heard the hd800 and also the T1 with. I also like the sound of single ended triode more than any other tube amp I have owned or heard,


Edited by Frank I - 9/17/12 at 2:10pm
post #267 of 404

Hmmm... Fundamental decision here. I don't see getting Planers anytime soon though I have been pining for some monitors (945's?)  Gonna have to make a choice this week before they pull parts.

post #268 of 404

This Taboo thread is driving me nuts.  I have read every thread and I am very impressed with everyone’s opinion, both good and bad.  Mostly good.  I had settled on purchasing the Yulong Sabre D18 32 bit Audio Dac and the Woo WA6-SE Headphone Amplifier to power my Audeze lcd-2, rev2 headphones.  Has anyone had the time or opportunity to compare the WA6-SE with the Taboo through the LCD-2 headphones using whatever DAC you had available?  The WA6-SE appears to be in the same ballpark as the Taboo.  I would really appreciate as much detail as possible on your opinions.  I am surprised no one has addressed this question before since they seem so similar.

To Nick Dangerous.  I have heard there is good synergy between the HD800 and the WA6-SE.

Thanks,    
OneTallGuy
 

post #269 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTallGuy View Post

To Nick Dangerous.  I have heard there is good synergy between the HD800 and the WA6-SE.
 

 

Thanks, Slim. :) I ended up with a Decware CSP2+ which is a great match with the HD800. Abundant tube-rolling options and fantastic sound for the price which is neither too lush nor clinical. 

post #270 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTallGuy View Post

This Taboo thread is driving me nuts.  I have read every thread and I am very impressed with everyone’s opinion, both good and bad.  Mostly good.  I had settled on purchasing the Yulong Sabre D18 32 bit Audio Dac and the Woo WA6-SE Headphone Amplifier to power my Audeze lcd-2, rev2 headphones.  Has anyone had the time or opportunity to compare the WA6-SE with the Taboo through the LCD-2 headphones using whatever DAC you had available?  The WA6-SE appears to be in the same ballpark as the Taboo.  I would really appreciate as much detail as possible on your opinions.  I am surprised no one has addressed this question before since they seem so similar.

To Nick Dangerous.  I have heard there is good synergy between the HD800 and the WA6-SE.

Thanks,    
OneTallGuy
 

 

Remember that the Taboo is really for the LCD/HE-6 Planer market while the CSP2+ is aimed at dynamic HP's....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment