Hi there. I've owned the Beats Studio (I was a noob back then), Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and SRH-840's, now the AIAIAI TMA-1's. I've been loving the bass kick (sub bass?), on the TMA-1's, but in other areas such as Clarity and Comfort, they're a bit more of a let down than a champion.
What I loved about the M50's was the value, the way it was good with so many genres, and the detailed bass.
What I loved about the SRH-840 was the clarity, detail, and balance overall.
What I loved about the TMA-1's was their deep bass and kick, but they were a bit too dark for me and my music, and lacked some of the clarity of the 840's.
I noticed this first when I went by my london drugs and noticed they had the 840's on a demo stand. I tried them out, then my TMA-1's. It had been about a year since I had heard the 840's, so I was blown away by how clear they sounded compared to my TMA-1's, and the bass that I loved with the TMA-1's was still there, not as sharp of a sub-bass kick, but still there, and much clearer.
I have thought about it and I'd like to sell my TMA-1's, I have the box and everything, so I will be putting up a sale for that soon. Anyway. Onto my needs. I would like to buy a new set of headphones/earphones/IEM's/Whatever-fits-my-needs-best.
In order of biggest need to least:
- Deep Bass, Strong kick (I don't want a 'dark' headphone though!)
- Detail overall
- Does not Leak sound or Let too much sound in. (Noise Isolation and Noise Reduction)
- Portability is a concern, I would like to take these to college and on transit, or on walks etc. If possible.
- Preferably closed (Goes with "Does not leak down or Let too much sound in")
- Can be Full-size, On-ear, In-ear, or even IEM's. I just want the best headphones I can get.
- Max price is $250.
Music I listen to includes (Bold are most listened to):
- Rock, Piano, Techno, Dance, Pop, J-Rock, J-Pop, Orchestral.
So, for my needs, what are the best Full-size, On-Ear, In-Ear, or IEM heaphones I can buy under my price point?
Please remember to check my needs carefully as I have listed them all, thank you very much!
EDIT: AIAIAI TMA-1's for sale now here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534874/aiaiai-tma-1-headphones-for-sale-comes-w-extra-straight-cable-everything-in-box