Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 642

post #9616 of 26164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noks View Post

Nah, it was 40 dollar for the whole thing, but i just though of something. I have the O2 amp which has a 3.5mm jack that i use to connect my mp3 to. If it get the 3.5m male to 2RCA female, then i could plug the PS3 into the O2 amp right?

Yes. Didn't know you had an amp already. That should be a great stereo setup.
post #9617 of 26164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noks View Post

Nah, it was 40 dollar for the whole thing, but i just though of something. I have the O2 amp which has a 3.5mm jack that i use to connect my mp3 to. If it get the 3.5m male to 2RCA female, then i could plug the PS3 into the O2 amp right?

Yes. Didn't know you had an amp already. That should be a great stereo setup.


Great. I'm sorry, i should've clarified that at the start lol.

post #9618 of 26164
Thread Starter 
Do you have a DAC with an optical input? That would be better than the PS3's DAC, but no biggie.
post #9619 of 26164

Hey, MLE... any chance you've been able to test the Psyko Audio Carbon?  I know sound quality isn't that great, but I'm looking for the absolute best positional audio headset I can find (for gaming).  Any thoughts or, info you might have would be awesome.  I've also started a thread asking for advice here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640425/advice-new-gaming-sound-setup-from-the-ground-up

 

Thank you, in-advance.

post #9620 of 26164
Thread Starter 
No, havent tried it, and doubt I will. Dont see what could possibly outdo a K701/Q701/AD700/HD598/PC360 with Dolby Headphone.

You shouldnt have to sacrifice sound quality for a 2% increase in positional accuracy. Trust me, that Carbon isnt gonna make you catch something you couldnt with any of the ones I have mentioned.

For the longest time, I heard how the AX Pros had amazing positional accuracy, yet they didnt do anything better than my faves.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/11/12 at 7:42am
post #9621 of 26164

Yeah, I have to agree about the Pro's.  I own a set now, and they did "OK" with positional audio.  However, the durability on this set was absolute crap.  The microphone stopped working after 3 months, and now (roughly 14 months later), the wiring is separating from the in-line control module.  I'm NOT looking to spend $150 a year on a headset.

I guess what I'm really concerned about is the accuracy of simulated positional audio (AD700 looks great to me... but the one-jack connector is bothering me) versus dedicated jacks for each channel.

So far, I'm considering the Creative Titanium, or Creative Z... the O2 amp, and the AD700.

Or, as above, the psyko's... but, you're the second person to say the positional gains are not what they're cracked up to be.  (<< You answered this on another thread.  Thank you)


Edited by Shisno - 12/11/12 at 7:55am
post #9622 of 26164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shisno View Post

Yeah, I have to agree about the Pro's.  I own a set now, and they did "OK" with positional audio.  However, the durability on this set was absolute crap.  The microphone stopped working after 3 months, and now (roughly 14 months later), the wiring is separating from the in-line control module.  I'm NOT looking to spend $150 a year on a headset.

I guess what I'm really concerned about is the accuracy of simulated positional audio (AD700 looks great to me... but the one-jack connector is bothering me) versus dedicated jacks for each channel.

So far, I'm considering the Creative Titanium, or Creative Z... the O2 amp, and the AD700.

Or, as above, the psyko's... but, you're the second person to say the positional gains are not what they're cracked up to be.  (<< You answered this on another thread.  Thank you)

 

Look, you couldn't have asked a better question with me being around. I am THE guy when it comes to wanting the best positional/realism surround sound on console. I won't settle for Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical with the mixamp. If you want the best possible sound, there are only two options, get a Yammie receiver with silent cinema that support LPCM 24bit/192khz. I'd recommend the RX-A710 (and not because I'm selling one). Get you a pair of Q701's from Amazon. Then that's it. You're set. You need a HDMI cord. If you're willing to run your computer alongside your PS3, then an even better option would be MyEars. There are reasons why I consider this the only setup. I'm open to discussion though. My hours of research got me to this point.

post #9623 of 26164

I'm actually researching for a big PC build coming up with the tax return.  But, I'm also a console gamer occasionally, I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion for my console experience.

post #9624 of 26164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shisno View Post

I'm actually researching for a big PC build coming up with the tax return.  But, I'm also a console gamer occasionally, I'm definitely going to look into your suggestion for my console experience.

 

I feel the need to elaborate before people come at me, lol.

 

1. Dolby Headphone - It's a one trick pony in comparison to others. I know of only up to 3presets that you can set it to to customize it to you. It's a generic HRTF, so it may not work for you. You can also use whatever EQ is on the device providing the Dolby HP. It's only provided through optical with Dolby Digital 5.1 unless you get an older Harmon Kardon receiver. You'd be missing out on some nice tech goodies if you're going the receiver route, but it will do Dolby HP over HDMI LPCM for uncompressed lossless. Thing is, it's an ERTF, which is unrealistic. It also started out as a theater technology, but it works well for some in games. Dolby Digital 5.1 is the most compressed form of 5.1, meaning it's the worst quality. If you wanted the best of both words, be prepared to put down a huge chunk of change to get Dolby HP in a modern receiver.

 

2. Turtle Beach DSS2 - It's basically a poor mans Dolby Headphone/mixamp. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

 

3. THXTruStudioPro - Only available on console through the Recon3DUSB. It's similar to CMSS-3D, which is nice, but it's a USB/Optical Device, only capable of Dolby Digital. Has more customization as well, but also Generic HRTF. Next.

 

4. CMSS-3D - Only available on console using a rarer Auzentech X-FI HT HD card, but this card has absolutely terrible reviews. It's amazing if you get it perfect, but I'd just shy away from this. Check Newegg's and Amazon's Reviews. Again, generic HRTF. Nice to have MacroFX and elevation filters though!

 

5. Silent Cinema - Found on Yammie receivers. Has up to 23 presets, with different settings for each I believe. The RX-A710 has 17. Check the thread link earlier on in here for more info. This is also another generic HRTF, but, at least it's more customizeable, is a HRTF, not ERTF, can be found on modern receivers for a modest price, all while providing the highest form of LPCM. Hell, you even get a built in Adaptive DSP and DRC, with the latter providing a great option on consoles since it balances out all the sounds (so you can hear chat as well).

 

6. MyEars - Just look it up. Completely custom. You'd have to get a computer, then input the PS3 to it.

 

I rushed this a bit. I'll come back later and edit it. Gotta run! Hope this helps!

post #9625 of 26164
Wait, so Silent Cinema gives better positional audio than Dolby Headphone now?
post #9626 of 26164
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post

Look, you couldn't have asked a better question with me being around. I am THE guy when it comes to wanting the best positional/realism surround sound on console. I won't settle for Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical with the mixamp. If you want the best possible sound, there are only two options, get a Yammie receiver with silent cinema that support LPCM 24bit/192khz. I'd recommend the RX-A710 (and not because I'm selling one). Get you a pair of Q701's from Amazon. Then that's it. You're set. You need a HDMI cord. If you're willing to run your computer alongside your PS3, then an even better option would be MyEars. There are reasons why I consider this the only setup. I'm open to discussion though. My hours of research got me to this point.

Best positional/realism? LPCM is not gonna give you ANY advantage over Dolby Digital. You're on something serious if you think video games even take advantage of lossless audio. Then again, Lossless vs High bitrate MP3 = lol, but if you think you have god's ears, then by all means.

Sorry, but you can't possibly be serious.

Most of the people I have read comparing SC vs DH have come away stating DH is better. In any case, LPCM wouldn't give you any advantage AT ALL. Guarantee it's the case of loudness = better perceived clarity. If you blind A/B test high bitrate MP3 vs FLAC, I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference the vast majority of the time, and even if you could, the difference is so minute, it's not worth even talking about it.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/11/12 at 9:12am
post #9627 of 26164

First of all, thank you for this guide and your continued responses, very much appreciated.

 

Got a few questions (and apologies ahead of time if I get longwinded or random). 

Quick background:  I guess you could have called me a "professional" CS1.6 player back in the day, and I used HD555's (unmodded then, foam modded now) with a ****ty Dell mic that got the job done.  I always had excellent sound play, easily detecting direction/distance. 

Flash forward 10 years and now I primarily play on a 360 (I'm currently playing BLOPS2, Halo 4, and GoW3).  I bought some TB X12's last year which was my first actual headset.  Ok sound for the money, clarity on the mic seems to be very solid.  I don't play too seriously these days, but I am the type that has fun winning, and good soundplay is key to that end.  I got an original DSS last week and the difference is astounding.  I've never played with my 555's, so I can't speak to how they would compare, but am curious if there would be much of a difference vs. the X12s. 

 

I'm currently shopping around for a headset for my fiancee.  She's never played any type of FPS and usually gives up after about 2 minutes, but she loves zombies on blops2.  We play with some family and friends and she would like to be able to talk/hear them (tough through the tv).  I could just get her the microsoft earpiece/mic thing, but figured I'd leverage this as a way to upgrade my setup (she doesn't care at all about soundplay, just voice communication, but does want a full on headset).  I figured I'd give her my TB's and find something better for myself. 

 

(Now for actual questions)  I saw the CALs are back down to $60 on amazon and wanted to hear your thoughts on if I should pick those up along with an attachable mic.  I know you don't have the 555's listed, but was wondering if you knew if the CALs would be an upgrade to those (or if either is even an upgrade to my current setup).  I'm looking to spend <$150, preferably <$100.  I've looked into Astro's and Tritton's, both kind of strike me as the Beats of the gaming world.  Can I use pretty much any headset through the DSS?  I'd prefer to not have to pick up a mixamp on top of another headset, if I have to go that route.  I like the TB/DSS current setup, but any suggestions for an upgrade in my budget would be greatly appreciated.
 

post #9628 of 26164
Hmmm CAL for $60 or Samson SR850 for $53? I assume the sr850 have better soundstage?
post #9629 of 26164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoAmusing777 View Post

 

Look, you couldn't have asked a better question with me being around. I am THE guy when it comes to wanting the best positional/realism surround sound on console. I won't settle for Dolby Digital 5.1 through optical with the mixamp.

 

 

Smyth Realiser + Stax?

post #9630 of 26164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBorland View Post

First of all, thank you for this guide and your continued responses, very much appreciated.

 

Got a few questions (and apologies ahead of time if I get longwinded or random). 

Quick background:  I guess you could have called me a "professional" CS1.6 player back in the day, and I used HD555's (unmodded then, foam modded now) with a ****ty Dell mic that got the job done.  I always had excellent sound play, easily detecting direction/distance. 

Flash forward 10 years and now I primarily play on a 360 (I'm currently playing BLOPS2, Halo 4, and GoW3).  I bought some TB X12's last year which was my first actual headset.  Ok sound for the money, clarity on the mic seems to be very solid.  I don't play too seriously these days, but I am the type that has fun winning, and good soundplay is key to that end.  I got an original DSS last week and the difference is astounding.  I've never played with my 555's, so I can't speak to how they would compare, but am curious if there would be much of a difference vs. the X12s. 

 

I'm currently shopping around for a headset for my fiancee.  She's never played any type of FPS and usually gives up after about 2 minutes, but she loves zombies on blops2.  We play with some family and friends and she would like to be able to talk/hear them (tough through the tv).  I could just get her the microsoft earpiece/mic thing, but figured I'd leverage this as a way to upgrade my setup (she doesn't care at all about soundplay, just voice communication, but does want a full on headset).  I figured I'd give her my TB's and find something better for myself. 

 

(Now for actual questions)  I saw the CALs are back down to $60 on amazon and wanted to hear your thoughts on if I should pick those up along with an attachable mic.  I know you don't have the 555's listed, but was wondering if you knew if the CALs would be an upgrade to those (or if either is even an upgrade to my current setup).  I'm looking to spend <$150, preferably <$100.  I've looked into Astro's and Tritton's, both kind of strike me as the Beats of the gaming world.  Can I use pretty much any headset through the DSS?  I'd prefer to not have to pick up a mixamp on top of another headset, if I have to go that route.  I like the TB/DSS current setup, but any suggestions for an upgrade in my budget would be greatly appreciated.
 

I do think the CAls are great sounding headphones for the price. 

But personally I found the cups barely fit around my ears and the diaphragms feel like they are about 1mm from my ear.

So my ears feel "bothered" in less them 10 minutes of listening, Check out the Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80), 60-Ohm, they cost more then the CALs, but the HSR-1000 (Pro 80) are much more comfortable to wear and are at least equal (if not better?) to sound quality then the CALs.

I was able to get the Gemini HSR-1000 shipped to me for $68.20, from Woot Tech.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)