Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 615

post #9211 of 25546

I'm hesitant to recommend the DT990.  It's a very trebly headphone and very cold, and it could also play really bad with any possible badly mixed rap and metal records.  DT880 is the safer bet.  If there were any HE-400s of the world in the 200 dollar range, that'd be an easy recommendations, but sadly not many headphones carry that sound signature.  Any headphone can have bass good enough for rap, as long as it extends naturally.  EQ can take care of the rest, but if the headphone doesn't extend naturally, EQ won't do much.


Edited by TMRaven - 11/24/12 at 6:42pm
post #9212 of 25546
Thread Starter 
The DT990 Pro is warmer than the 990/600, btw. Noticeable, even. But I understand your fears.
post #9213 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naingolann View Post

Just go with the Mixamp. You could also get a DSS, but you'd need an USB mic adapter as well.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post

 

 

If you can get a Mixamp for cheap, you should go with that.

 

Thing is, if I do go for the PC360, then I wouldn't be able to afford the Mixamp. The Senn website led me to the 360s after I selected both PS3 and PC. For PS3 only, it led me to some U 320. Any idea how those are?

post #9214 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauaad View Post

Thing is, if I do go for the PC360, then I wouldn't be able to afford the Mixamp. The Senn website led me to the 360s after I selected both PS3 and PC. For PS3 only, it led me to some U 320. Any idea how those are?

Used Senn HD558s at Amazon for $129 + 8 shipping, then add any mic you like.

post #9215 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb View Post

I haven't read through this entire thread, but has anybody compared Silent Cinema against the likes of the DSS, DSS2, and the Mixamp? My Yamaha receiver has Silent Cinema built in and I would just like to know if it is essentially the same thing as the Mixamp, and DSS units. Should I use what I have or should I get a Mixamp?

My system is PS3 - optical 5.1 to Yamaha RX-V2500 -> Q701. 

Also, I know the parameters for Silent Cinema are adjustable on my receiver, but I haven't played with them yet.

Silent Cinema works well and has more "depth" than my Recon3D with my Q701s, but SC has echo that you have to get used to. I like "action game" with a few negative adjustments to DSP strength, echo is reduced enough that I can get used to it. However, I have noticed that the Recon3D's soundstage presented by the Q701 OS broadened by powerful amping, and to me it is clear the Recon3D has more complex 5.1 to virtual surround processing.

But if you try SC and you like it, I wouldn't worry about finding an extra solution. There isn't much to separate virtual surround. I honestly bought my processor solely because I also wanted an external soundcard for my Mac, and because I would be unable to use my receiver in the short term for several months. Otherwise I would've just figured out how to hook up both console and computer to the receiver (mine has a few HDMI inputs). It's amazing how low-cost receivers have become and the numerous features you get for low-cost.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/25/12 at 7:50am
post #9216 of 25546
Wondering if anyone has tried the he-500 with dolby headphone. I plan on getting these headphones no matter what for music. Won't matter much if they don't have good accurate imaging or soundstage because i find the 2013 a40 bundle to be exceptional compared to the old. The headphone itself has more bass and that is nice but i find the real winner to be the new mixamp pro. I'm pretty sure they use a higher quality dac than all the other mixamps as i've gotten a new pair for christmas every year. I plugged in my older a40's a30's my d2000's and 598's and all of them sounded more full and detailed then they did before. Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too.
post #9217 of 25546

So, does someone actually have gaming impressions using the Fidelio X1?

post #9218 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Used Senn HD558s at Amazon for $129 + 8 shipping, then add any mic you like.

Yeah, you'll often find them used closer to $100 even.
post #9219 of 25546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

Wondering if anyone has tried the he-500 with dolby headphone. I plan on getting these headphones no matter what for music. Won't matter much if they don't have good accurate imaging or soundstage because i find the 2013 a40 bundle to be exceptional compared to the old. The headphone itself has more bass and that is nice but i find the real winner to be the new mixamp pro. I'm pretty sure they use a higher quality dac than all the other mixamps as i've gotten a new pair for christmas every year. I plugged in my older a40's a30's my d2000's and 598's and all of them sounded more full and detailed then they did before. Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too.

Heard its worse than the HE400 for such things. In fact, I think I was being too generous on the competitive score for the HE400. I may have to adjust it to a 7.5. To sum it up, they work, bit they lag behind a bit, so if competitive is a must, theres noticeably better. I woildnt get planars for such things. However, if youre already getting it, then theyll be decent.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/25/12 at 12:05pm
post #9220 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaCosmos View Post

Wondering if anyone has tried the he-500 with dolby headphone. I plan on getting these headphones no matter what for music. Won't matter much if they don't have good accurate imaging or soundstage because i find the 2013 a40 bundle to be exceptional compared to the old. The headphone itself has more bass and that is nice but i find the real winner to be the new mixamp pro. I'm pretty sure they use a higher quality dac than all the other mixamps as i've gotten a new pair for christmas every year. I plugged in my older a40's a30's my d2000's and 598's and all of them sounded more full and detailed then they did before. Voices for chat are CRAZY clearer too.

 

 

I used to use the HE-500's with a mixamp. MLE is right- they're not the best for competitive gaming, but their bass and overall SQ made up for it IMO. I even used a nice Audio Technica mic and a microphone preamp with the Mixamp. redface.gif

 

post #9221 of 25546
Thread Starter 
Nice! Lol. Only on head-fi, lol.
post #9222 of 25546

I kept finding that cheap mics had sensitivity issues. The Audio Technica mic + preamp allowed me to make it as quiet or as sensitive as I wanted. I used to troll people by hitting the +20dB switch on it. lol

post #9223 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Heard its worse than the HE400 for such things. In fact, I think I was being too generous on the competitive score for the HE400. I may have to adjust it to a 7.5. To sum it up, they work, bit they lag behind a bit, so if competitive is a must, theres noticeably better. I woildnt get planars for such things. However, if youre already getting it, then theyll be decent.

 

I also personally found your competitive score for the HE400 rather high for what it produced.. especially when compared to the AKG K702. Your results with the headphones I have tried are pretty accurate to be fair :).
post #9224 of 25546
Thread Starter 
I originally gave it a 7, until I double amped. I'll adjust it in a bit.
post #9225 of 25546
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

So, does someone actually have gaming impressions using the Fidelio X1?


I'd also be interested in this...From what I've read so far, they might come close to the Q701.

 

HD558 on tomorrow's Cyber Monday @ Amazon.de. :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)