Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 534

post #7996 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

I don't see any contradictions in MLE's posts.

The MixAmp uses the same processing. Processing (in this case, the way virtual surround is achieved) is independent of noise floor.

In any case, isn't all this discussion of old vs new MixAmp just academic? How are you able to get your hands on the old MixAmps?

 

The MixAmp Pro is a good device. If you want virtual surround on consoles and need chat, get it. There is no other viable option that I can think of.

As I stated above, he said the Pro has more inputs and least floor noise. If that is the case, it isn't the same as the 2010 from how he explained it. The older ones pop up on ebay, and I have been looking at purchasing one or two.

 

I'm not stating, nor have I ever stated that the MixAmp Pro isn't an awesome device. I just like to take the time and make sure I'm getting the best for my money.

 

-Erik

post #7997 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by burritoboy9984 View Post


In the quote above, you said they have more inputs and the least floor noise. That is why I asked again. Which is it? Are they the "EXACT" same, or do they have more inputs and less floor noise? I'm not trying to stir the pot, just trying to figure out which is the best to buy, and you contradicted yourself, leaving doubt.

No.
Again, you failed to comprehend.

The wired Pro model has more inputs, and a lower noise floor, than the Mixamp 5.8

The 2010 mixamp is functionally the same, except in name. I assume they added the "Pro" moniker to distinguish it from the wireless model (the Mixamp 5.8, if you are still following).

The hyperlink doesn't point to a site; if you had clicked it you would've seen it is just an instructional video on how to use google.

...
Really, your continual lack of comprehension seems deliberate. We've all had a hand in telling you, point blank, that if you want wired DSP for a console, any wired Mixamp is the best buy, yet somehow you still get it mixed up. I frankly don't know what else to say that wouldn't be an insult, so instead I'll just conclude that I sincerely, truly, I'll-sleep-better-if-you-do understand now what we've all been saying.
post #7998 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


No.
Again, you failed to comprehend.
The wired Pro model has more inputs, and a lower noise floor, than the Mixamp 5.8
The 2010 mixamp is functionally the same, except in name. I assume they added the "Pro" moniker to distinguish it from the wireless model (the Mixamp 5.8, if you are still following).
The hyperlink doesn't point to a site; if you had clicked it you would've seen it is just an instructional video on how to use google.
...
Really, your continual lack of comprehension seems deliberate. We've all had a hand in telling you, point blank, that if you want wired DSP for a console, any wired Mixamp is the best buy, yet somehow you still get it mixed up. I frankly don't know what else to say that wouldn't be an insult, so instead I'll just conclude that I sincerely, truly, I'll-sleep-better-if-you-do understand now what we've all been saying.

"The Mixamp Pro is PRO, because it has the most inputs, the least noise floor, etc. It's still the same wired Mixamp from 2010."

 

That doesn't say when compared to the 5.8 mixamp, and you and one other person are the only ones who ever referred to the 5.8, Mad never mentioned that he was comparing those.

 

Also, your OTHER hyperlink pointed to the A40 home page, and that is the page I was obviously referring to.

 

At this point, I'm just trying to defend myself, and explain how if he was trying to say they were the same, the above sentence made it appear different.

 

-Erik

post #7999 of 26204

Let me try and clear things up:

First, can we all just drop defending ourselves? burritoboy, you want info. Providing it is going to be the only objective here.

 

Second, 3 MixAmps:

  • Wired, "Pro", pre-2010
  • Wired, "Pro", 2010 and onwards
  • Wireless, "5.8"

The 5.8 is not available for purchase on its own in the US. Astro's website confirms this. We might as well leave it out of the discussion.

Pre-2010 Pro models on eBay--no comment on eBay and associated risks (if any). I have no experience there.

 

2010 (or current production) Pro is better than pre-2010. It's the MixAmp to get. Some headphones will need an extra amp. But this is it.

 

The only reason to consider any device other than the MixAmp Pro is if you, burritoboy, do not want chat. Then look up MLE's first post for details. 

post #8000 of 26204

Here is an image of the Mixamp during its original production run (pre-2010)

 

S4vKz.jpg

 

Here is a pic of the current Mixamp Pro (aka Mixamp 2010)

 

9miye.jpg

 

The changes Astro made were:

-aesthetics

-PS3 chat functions w/o the need for a usb dongle (known as the ps3 chat dongle)

-marketing material saying that it's now 7.1

-from the 2010 production to the current production, Astro has removed the PC headset Y-cable from the package, it must be purchased seperately.

 

That is all.

 

Other things such as inputs, dolby headphone, mixing chat and game audio, and other core functions not stated have remained the same since the product originally launched.

 

If this doesn't make it clear, I don't know what will...


Edited by calpis - 10/2/12 at 10:04pm
post #8001 of 26204
Thread Starter 
Burrito by noise floor hiss, I'm talking about wired Mixamps vs the Mixamp 5.8 (wireless), DSS, AX720. They all have tthe same processing, but the internal amps are different, which only change hiss, and slight tonal balance differences, and not the actual Dolby Processing.. By the exact same, I'm referring to BOTH the wired Mixamps.
post #8002 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post

Let me try and clear things up:

First, can we all just drop defending ourselves? burritoboy, you want info. Providing it is going to be the only objective here.

 

Second, 3 MixAmps:

  • Wired, "Pro", pre-2010
  • Wired, "Pro", 2010 and onwards
  • Wireless, "5.8"

The 5.8 is not available for purchase on its own in the US. Astro's website confirms this. We might as well leave it out of the discussion.

Pre-2010 Pro models on eBay--no comment on eBay and associated risks (if any). I have no experience there.

 

2010 (or current production) Pro is better than pre-2010. It's the MixAmp to get. Some headphones will need an extra amp. But this is it.

 

The only reason to consider any device other than the MixAmp Pro is if you, burritoboy, do not want chat. Then look up MLE's first post for details. 

Thanks for clearing this all up, this is what I was wanting to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpis View Post

Here is an image of the Mixamp during its original production run (pre-2010)

 

S4vKz.jpg

 

Here is a pic of the current Mixamp Pro (aka Mixamp 2010)

 

9miye.jpg

 

The changes Astro made were:

-aesthetics

-PS3 chat functions w/o the need for a usb dongle (known as the ps3 chat dongle)

-marketing material saying that it's now 7.1

-from the 2010 production to the current production, Astro has removed the PC headset Y-cable from the package, it must be purchased seperately.

 

That is all.

 

Other things such as inputs, dolby headphone, mixing chat and game audio, and other core functions not stated have remained the same since the product originally launched.

 

If this doesn't make it clear, I don't know what will...

Again, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Burrito by noise floor hiss, I'm talking about wired Mixamps vs the Mixamp 5.8 (wireless), DSS, AX720. They all have tthe same processing, but the internal amps are different, which only change hiss, and slight tonal balance differences, and not the actual Dolby Processing.. By the exact same, I'm referring to BOTH the wired Mixamps.

Ok, MLE, thanks again for clarifying, I didn't mean to start a **** storm in your thread, back on topic. And as I stated before, thanks again for all the time and effort you put in this thread for n00bs to headphones as myself.

 

-Erik

post #8003 of 26204
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah the Mixamp Pro (2010+) added the PS3 and USB chat functionality. I did forget to mention this, though its not an issue, as they don't sell pre-2010 wired Mixamps anyways. OTHER THAN THAT, it sounds exactly like the previous wired Mixamp.
post #8004 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

I think the Titanium HD will scale better, if you can afford it. Better analog output (and thus a better DAC), after all. Of course, you could potentially get even better sound quality with a dedicated DAC that has S/PDIF input (thus making the sound card difference largely irrelevant), but now you're looking at spending at least US$300, probably over $500...all for just a DAC. At that point, the Titanium HD starts looking quite affordable.

 

I ship overseas via USPS because they're not stupidly overpriced. It takes a while, but they generally deliver. Also, there are the usual "declare gift + low value" tricks. Still, if warranty is a concern, you could very well be much better off buying locally.

 

I do what I can to help around here. It's why I wrote that guide, among other things.

 

I'm in "**** it I'm buying it all and hope it lasts 10 years" mode, so I guess I'll add the remaining 80€ and be done with it. I wouldn't want to keep wondering if I could get better, and it looks better supported driver-wise so it's a bit reassuring.

 

I'm finally left with: DT770 250ohm, X-Fi Titanium HD, O2 amp and Mixamp. I'll buy buying all of this tonight and hope everything goes well.

 

I do get stupidly bad luck with what I order about 70% of electronic material I order ends up returning to warranty at least once. The cause for some of these might have been electrical though, last year an invested in a line-interactive UPS and had less problems.

 

 

Although I came here with 150€ max and end up spending 600€, a HUGE word of thank you to you and MLE for your reliable guides which definitely made the choice much easier, I'd have ended up buying crap without them. Thanks also to everyone who answered my hundreds of questions. I'll now stick around until everything comes in the mail :)

post #8005 of 26204
Thread Starter 
What made you choose the DT770 250ohm? Note that I haven't heard the DT770 Pro 250, which sounds different from the 80ohm.
post #8006 of 26204

I forgot to mention it but I'll indeed be buying the DT770 Pro, not premium.Well, I chose the DT770 Pro thanks to your guide mainly. I wanted something for fun (games and movies) and comfort. I hesitated a lot with the DT990 Pro because they are open, but ultimately the DT770 Pro seemed more comfortable and with the kind of bass I prefer.

 

I chose the 250ohm version over the 80 one after reading that the sound is almost the same, with maybe a little less bass. Since all reviews about the DT770 Pro are between the "lots of" and "too much" bass, I decided that a slight reduction might put me on the safe side and make it a bit better for gaming. PurpleAngel's comment that he prefers the overall sound of 250 over the 80 comforted me in that idea. Since I needed and amp anyway, and will only be using them with it, the problem of volume was out of the way.

 

Am I doing it right? :D

post #8007 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjonir View Post

I forgot to mention it but I'll indeed be buying the DT770 Pro, not premium.Well, I chose the DT770 Pro thanks to your guide mainly. I wanted something for fun (games and movies) and comfort. I hesitated a lot with the DT990 Pro because they are open, but ultimately the DT770 Pro seemed more comfortable and with the kind of bass I prefer.

I chose the 250ohm version over the 80 one after reading that the sound is almost the same, with maybe a little less bass. Since all reviews about the DT770 Pro are between the "lots of" and "too much" bass, I decided that a slight reduction might put me on the safe side and make it a bit better for gaming. PurpleAngel's comment that he prefers the overall sound of 250 over the 80 comforted me in that idea. Since I needed and amp anyway, and will only be using them with it, the problem of volume was out of the way.

Am I doing it right? biggrin.gif

The extrapolation seems reasonable to me, though "right" is defined by your own compass wink.gif Also, a refined and powerful amp like the O2 should trim the fat off the bass even more, so you should be beyond "safe" and into the realm of "spectacular!" I'm personally curious how you'll feel the DT770 250Ohm compares with and without the amp in-line.
Should be quite an experience, I eagerly await your impressions and share in your excitement: sounds like you'll have QUITE the complete kit, all at once.

Cheers!
post #8008 of 26204
Thread Starter 
I don't know. I heard the Pro 250ohm was quite well balanced while the Pro 80 was very bass heavy. That would make them VERY different, and would make my impression on the 80ohm not count for the 250ohm at all.
post #8009 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I don't know. I heard the Pro 250ohm was quite well balanced while the Pro 80 was very bass heavy. That would make them VERY different, and would make my impression on the 80ohm not count for the 250ohm at all.
True, and while an ohm difference usually doesn't have a large effect, you said yourself that you wondered if your experience was an outlier, since it didn't match what others had said about the DT770. Or am I mixing up what headphone you said that about?

Found a freq curve graph for the 250ohm in these reviews; looks like the bass boost is under the 9-10dB boost that usually marks bass that overwhelms details and the other frequencies:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-closed-studio-headphones-250-ohms/reviews
post #8010 of 26204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I don't know. I heard the Pro 250ohm was quite well balanced while the Pro 80 was very bass heavy. That would make them VERY different, and would make my impression on the 80ohm not count for the 250ohm at all.

 

I've read about less bass, but most reviews I read underlined that there wasn't much difference between the two. Maybe PurpleAngel can bring some light on this if he's around? :)

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


True, and while an ohm difference usually doesn't have a large effect, you said yourself that you wondered if your experience was an outlier, since it didn't match what others had said about the DT770. Or am I mixing up what headphone you said that about?
Found a freq curve graph for the 250ohm in these reviews; looks like the bass boost is under the 9-10dB boost that usually marks bass that overwhelms details and the other frequencies:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-closed-studio-headphones-250-ohms/reviews

A comment on that review point out that the frequency response is of the DT770 Consumer, not Pro. From what I've read, the 80 and 250 models are different by a bit more than just ohm difference, their build is a little bit altered too, bringing those differences in sound.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)