I've been hesitating for months over headphones in the 100-150€ (120/185$) range to replace my Steelseries Siberia v1. However the audio world is quite new to me, and I'd really appreciate an advice to get me started :)
- I'd use them mainly for movies and music (on PC) and regularly for PC gaming and Xbox 360 gaming. I already own the Steelseries "Spectrum Audio Mixer" so Xbox connectivity is not an issue.
- I use my headphones a lot, so comfort is very important, circumaural only.
- I don't think I have a very good PC soundcard. I'm using the "Supreme FX II" which came on my ASUS motherboard and supports 5.1 out through 3.5mm jacks (EDIT: Windows allows me to turn on virtual surround, so it means this card supports it too). My motherboard also has an optical out (SPDIF) port.
I also have a Steelseries USB soundcard which can give me 7.1 virtual surround, but I don't think it's really good either. The "Supreme FX II" with Windows' virtual surround on sounds better to me.
From reading this guide, I think I'm going to buy the "Tritton AX 720+" in order to have the nice and convenient decoder and a decent headset. However I have a few questions and hope you can help me out:
- Is buying the Tritton 720 only for the decoder worth it considering what I already own, in which case I could buy something like the DT770 right now?
- I've read about some hissing with the 720 decoder. Considering I'll be watching movies with it, is it really intrusive or can it be disregarded?
- Since it's mostly the PC that matters to me, would it be that much better if I dropped the Xbox compatibility and invested in a proper PC sound card + headphones? In other words, is investing in a PC soundcard much better than the 720 decoder?
- If I were to, at a later date, upgrade to other headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and plug them in the 720 decoder, would it work properly? (I've read that the DT770 would absolutely need an amp, would the 720 decoder suffice?)
Thanks a huge lot in advance, I'm really going crazy choosing this :P
Edited by Mjonir - 9/29/12 at 1:55pm