Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 520

post #7786 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by washu9 View Post

 

Too much to be used 'exclusively' for gaming, yes I agree.  Personally I'll be using my cans more than 90% of the time for music (albeit not in an optimal condition >> while working).

I'm just wondering how does the high end stuff compares to the mid level stuff when it comes to gaming.

 

Because as we know, game SFX and recordings are not up in the same standard as audiophile.

Most of the higher end cans are so sensitive, any imperfection in the recording is said to be highlighted.

 

Would it give us better/worse/same experience?

Or could you just generalize and say higher level stuff always sounds better?

... I'm making little sense am I??


I'm not saying that every expensive stuff always be better. But I'm pretty sure that the Audeze is way better than my M50...

Well, I'm also curious for the high end stuff used for gaming. One thing is the d7000, that envy already reviewed. It seems that it almost perfect for every gaming and music need. Too bad the price is too expensive...

Cmon envy, review the 650 for gaming tongue_smile.gif


Edited by widdyjudas - 9/27/12 at 10:46am
post #7787 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by washu9 View Post

Let me make it into a concise question here.

 

For those of you who already have a high end headphone (HD650, HD800, LCD2, LCD3, T1, etc), do you/ would you use em for gaming?

If not, could you enlighten us as to why?

 

It's all written in the OP, at least for those headphones reviewed by MLE already.

 

As far as I can tell though, having a high end headphone doesn't always mean that you'll get the best experience in gaming, otherwise people like MLE and anyone on head-fi would've just bought the pricest ones and settled with it. Each can has its perks and downsides, regardless of the price range.


Edited by Naingolann - 9/27/12 at 10:49am
post #7788 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi HM View Post

I give up frown.gif I will get the DSS v1 new for $75 w/ shipping and a CAL for $109 w/ shipping. With this i will have Dolby Headphone on:
5.1 movies on laptop by codecs;
5.1 games on Xbox by optical;
5.1 games on Wii by 3.5mm jacket;
5.1 games and movies on HTPC by X-Fi DDL -> optical;

All of this with less than $200.
Good choice?

Seems sensible. Don't feel like you're "giving up" almost anything. Your HTPC probably has a better graphics card and experience than your laptop anyway, or at least it could. I'm sure someone else will want Nameless' Recon3D, if he doesn't end up keeping it. And doesn't sell it's capabilities too short wink.gif

Post your impressions once you get your DSS & CAL! in the mail smily_headphones1.gif
post #7789 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post


I'm not saying that every expensive stuff always be better. But I'm pretty sure that the Audeze is way better than my M50...
Well, I'm also curious for the high end stuff used for gaming. One thing is the d7000, that envy already reviewed. It seems that it almost perfect for every gaming and music need. Too bad the price is too expensive...
Cmon envy, review the 650 for gaming tongue_smile.gif

Perfect, except that the pleather earpads bothered Mad so much that he sold them. I think there are a few sonic characteristics of his orthodynamic that Mad preferred over the D7000 too, though I don't recall for sure if he had them at the same time. Having so much money locked in headphones may not have been practical, either.

I'm sure Mad would be happy to rate a HD 650 or 800, LCD2, and any other flagship headphone given to him by a patron wink.gif
post #7790 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naingolann View Post

It's all written in the OP, at least for those headphones reviewed by MLE already.

As far as I can tell though, having a high end headphone doesn't always mean that you'll get the best experience in gaming, otherwise people like MLE and anyone on head-fi would've just bought the pricest ones and settled with it. Each can has its perks and downsides, regardless of the price range.

Well said
post #7791 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi HM View Post

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - PCI. I bought the Dolby Live + DTS Connect for it, as my home theater has only one toslink input.

Unfortunatly I don't think that one had the decoder on the sound card that will decode DDL on the input of the sound card via toslink..

Oh the old old Audigy2 card i think it will also do it with the front drive bay.

These cards from what I went through years ago were the only ones I know of that would decode ddl from a console game's optical out into the input optically of the sound card. Drivers have nothing to do with it if your trying to decode ddl on input of a sound card.

Hope that helps.
post #7792 of 24997
Thread Starter 
I did have both the D7K and HE-400 at the same time. There's many things I miss about the D7K, but I was tired of the sweat inducing pleather. If it weren't for that, I'd have kept them. Sonically, the D7K is everything I want in a headphone.

The HE-400 is more balanced and fuller sounding, but doesn't have that omnipotent room filling bass, though it still has great bass for a balanced headphone. It just does everything justice overall, that it'd take a lot for me to give them up. For my personal taste, it could use a touch more bass presence, but that's because I'm spoiled by the Denons and DT990s. The HE400 isn't missing bass though.
post #7793 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Seems sensible. Don't feel like you're "giving up" almost anything. Your HTPC probably has a better graphics card and experience than your laptop anyway, or at least it could. I'm sure someone else will want Nameless' Recon3D, if he doesn't end up keeping it. And doesn't sell it's capabilities too short wink.gif
Post your impressions once you get your DSS & CAL! in the mail smily_headphones1.gif

 

I think that here in Head-Fi is the only place that have a big topic useful about Dolby Headphone. When i said "i give up" is relative to try to find comparatives, who is de best, who works fine with Dolby, is so much thing, and i don't think that will be some HUGE difference between the DSS to other "price similars", neither the CAL!. Other thing is that i don't professional ear "feeling" to know this difference.

 

I send a message to the seller (official turtle beach) to confirm that is the DSS v1. And also asked if they have the Audio Micro II. If they have, i can use the XBMC to output Dolby -> Micro II -> DSS and DTS -> Dolby -> Micro II -> DSS and all fine with my laptop and any videos i have. 

post #7794 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi HM View Post

I think that here in Head-Fi is the only place that have a big topic useful about Dolby Headphone. When i said "i give up" is relative to try to find comparatives, who is de best, who works fine with Dolby, is so much thing, and i don't think that will be some HUGE difference between the DSS to other "price similars", neither the CAL!. Other thing is that i don't professional ear "feeling" to know this difference.

I send a message to the seller (official turtle beach) to confirm that is the DSS v1. And also asked if they have the Audio Micro II. If they have, i can use the XBMC to output Dolby -> Micro II -> DSS and DTS -> Dolby -> Micro II -> DSS and all fine with my laptop and any videos i have. 

I agree about the "professional ears," the truth is not everyone is as discerning about their audio fidelity. I believe everyone has experience with maximum SQ fidelity because we all have heard sounds in nature, in real-life; however, so many people can still find joy listening to the flawed audio of a rock concert or a movie theater. We've got it pretty good and of better fidelity than the back seats of a concert with most headphone reproductions, besides the most obvious crap headphones.

I think what happens is a sort of "chicken and the egg, which came first" moment for someone who becomes an audiophile. I think someone hears an extraordinary experience, like they are a performing musician or have a friend into hi-fi, and this exposure begins the quest to have audio as good as, or better than, some vague target.

I think the psychology of "upgradeitis" is fascinating.
Edited by Evshrug - 9/27/12 at 1:37pm
post #7795 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi HM View Post
I give up :( I will get the DSS v1 new for $75 w/ shipping and a CAL for $109 w/ shipping. With this i will have Dolby Headphone on:

5.1 movies on laptop by codecs;

5.1 games on Xbox by optical;

5.1 games on Wii by 3.5mm jacket;

5.1 games and movies on HTPC by X-Fi DDL -> optical;

 

All of this with less than $200.

Good choice?

 

Seems good, but it won't help your laptop much unless it's one of those rare laptops with an S/PDIF output and Dolby Digital Live support. Add another $40 or so to get a Xonar U3 for your laptop, and you're good to go.

 

Also, if you're gaming on the HTPC with an X-Fi card, you don't need the Ear Force DSS to begin with because of CMSS-3D Headphone. (That said, I have seen a few people who use X-Fi cards with Dolby Headphone processors anyway due to personal preferences.)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by washu9 View Post
Let me make it into a concise question here.

 

For those of you who already have a high end headphone (HD650, HD800, LCD2, LCD3, T1, etc), do you/ would you use em for gaming?

If not, could you enlighten us as to why?

 

As you know, I do all my PC gaming with a Stax SR-Lambda.

 

It's not just gaming, either. It's for everything I do on my PC (music, movies, and anything else you can think of), one that always delivers pleasing sound quality while being comfortable for hours on end.

 

If anyone's going to spend that much on headphones, I'd expect the same attitude; they'd better excel at everything and have no comfort issues for what they're charging.

post #7796 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

Seems good, but it won't help your laptop much unless it's one of those rare laptops with an S/PDIF output and Dolby Digital Live support. Add another $40 or so to get a Xonar U3 for your laptop, and you're good to go.

 

Also, if you're gaming on the HTPC with an X-Fi card, you don't need the Ear Force DSS to begin with because of CMSS-3D Headphone. (That said, I have seen a few people who use X-Fi cards with Dolby Headphone processors anyway due to personal preferences.)

 

But i can use Dolby Headphone codec on Media Player Classic, can't? So i just plug or the headphone directly on laptop or plug the DSS to amp the laptop output.

And this Turtle Beach's "Advance Micro II"? Will add an optical output by $20. So i can pass directly the Dolby Digital audio to DSS to decode it and encode using Dolby Headphone...

 

This USB cards will be at least $60 w/ shipping :/

post #7797 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post

 

I still need to hear music beside gaming, so no pc headset. I still need bass, no to AKG. The 650 bass already in border of my min bass need.

I found D7k yesterday, but at usd 900...no. D5k also at 650 usd, no. D400 with similar SQ and bass with 770 pro but 400usd price, no.

Ok, you said that Hifiman ships from China. To my and maybe your surprise, I can't find a single hifiman cans on the market. I spent 2 hours looking the entire 2 floors of the building, but no store sells a hifiman. Even on the HKprice web, there are no Hifiman brand on the cans list.

So now, I left with beyer 990 pro 250 ohm and 650. I found from the headfonia reviewer that Fiio E17 can power the 650 and help with the soundstage.

I will test the 990 when I have the time. Envy said that its good for gaming, I trust you. Thanks very much for this useful thread.If I find the comfort is like 770 pro and music SQ maybe close to 650, then I'm sold. For now, its still 50-50 between those 2.

Envy, maybe you should do review for the 650 for gaming use. I think there are lots of confused people like me...

 

I had tons of headphones to try for gaming and the HD 650 is not among those I'd recommend to anyone. The soundstage is really too small, it's darker than any Hifiman or what you probably heard, I don't even recommend HE-400 and HE-500 and I had the latter for close to a thousand hours. However since music is most likely your priority then I'd recommend a HE-500/HE-400 over most headphones - they are just too good, too friendly to the ears, musical, making you almost cry. :D 

 

I would sacrifice gaming audio just for them if I had not much to spare and I think what you sacrifice is no dealbreaker. I am just more freaky then others and want the best possibilities and I can tell you there's great stuff on the way up - but think before you spend.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The PC360 is incredibly easy to drive. I didn't notice ANY improvements when pairing them up with any amps... even the Lyr (other than inheriting some of the Lyr's innate sound).
As for the HE-400, currently... there seems to be a possiblity that they have revised it yet again, and that the new ones are brighter than the one I have. Probably a minor difference, but still... if it's true, that would make the HE-400 slightly less 'fun' and more 'competitive'. This is all speculation, as there is no concrete evidence yet.
 
I am not giving a final opinion as my velour pads haven't arrived yet but following the HE-500 logic (velour=opening up, more treble) I don't have high hopes. The HE-400 highs right now are "zingy" giving guitar strings a too bright character and affecting the experience of the bass.Highs with velour are borderline annoying and more present than HE-500 with velour. 

Edited by Fegefeuer - 9/27/12 at 4:10pm
post #7798 of 24997

New wireless headset from Sony: http://youtu.be/O-eBkK-uUfk

 

Looks cool... :o

post #7799 of 24997
Thread Starter 
Feg, the velours on the HE400 actually smooth the curve, bringing up the mids, and making the treble less peaky. Its been mentioned many times on the HE400 thread. Bass stays exactly the same.
post #7800 of 24997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

 

I had tons of headphones to try for gaming and the HD 650 is not among those I'd recommend to anyone. The soundstage is really too small, it's darker than any Hifiman or what you probably heard, I don't even recommend HE-400 and HE-500 and I had the latter for close to a thousand hours. However since music is most likely your priority then I'd recommend a HE-500/HE-400 over most headphones - they are just too good, too friendly to the ears, musical, making you almost cry. :D 

 

I would sacrifice gaming audio just for them if I had not much to spare and I think what you sacrifice is no dealbreaker. I am just more freaky then others and want the best possibilities and I can tell you there's great stuff on the way up - but think before you spend.

 

 


 


Unfortunately, I can't find any hifiman brand in Hongkong. I spent 2 hours looking on every cans store, but no Hifiman. After much testing, I fell that 650 and beyer 990 pro 250 ohm will suit me best. 650 will satisfy my music need while sacrificing the gaming, vice versa with beyer.

Actually if have not much to spare, I will take the beyer. At 220usd, its a steal, but 650 at 360usd, I have no problem.

From Headfonia, the fiio e17 reviewer said it can drive the 650 just fine and help with its soundstage. I just have the fiio e17 now, but eventually, I will buy better amp when I have money to spare.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)