Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1670

post #25036 of 25046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

I think it's not a bad idea for single player games you play through and then sell.  Watch Dogs would be great... $15 for a month, beat it, never think of it again.  It's a better deal than buying it new and then selling it to Gamestop a month later.

 

Then again, if Sony would just make it a subscription-based service like Netflix, they will OWN this gen.


I agree if they do them for less than what it is to buy the game and trade it in it will be a good idea, i traded in watchdogs and infamous second son after i completed them both in a week..we probably won't end up with top titles like the ps3 had on ps+ because of this playstation now!

post #25037 of 25046
Greetings,

I went through the first page (reviews) and the last 15 pages of this thread and have a question regarding headset recommendation for the PS4. I am making a small gaming room where I will use the headset exclusively for sound and online chat during long Destiny (and other games) gaming binges.

I have a set of Sony gold headsets that my wife will be using when we play Destiny together and they sound ok (not great compared to my 5.1 Denon/PSB setup in the living room). I've read the reviews of the PLYR1 and they seem to be the top recommended all in one headset for the PS4. I've also considered the SteelSeries H headset due to their reviews. I'm leaning toward wireless, but can be persuaded to go wired if I can get better sound for less money My budget is $300.

Can I get a recommendation from y'all on a PS4 headset setup in my price range?
post #25038 of 25046

The arcam rpac I just bought is going back..it sounds crap..none of them usb powered portable dacs are any good!

post #25039 of 25046

So guys.. Im upgrading from Sennheiser pc 360. Will there be a *big* upgrade if i buy one of these 3 ?  AKG k702 or the q model,  or akg k712?
I will be using the Creative soundblaster Z Or ZxR. Haven't decided 100% yet.

post #25040 of 25046
Quote:
Originally Posted by weremichael View Post

Greetings,

I went through the first page (reviews) and the last 15 pages of this thread and have a question regarding headset recommendation for the PS4. I am making a small gaming room where I will use the headset exclusively for sound and online chat during long Destiny (and other games) gaming binges.

I have a set of Sony gold headsets that my wife will be using when we play Destiny together and they sound ok (not great compared to my 5.1 Denon/PSB setup in the living room). I've read the reviews of the PLYR1 and they seem to be the top recommended all in one headset for the PS4. I've also considered the SteelSeries H headset due to their reviews. I'm leaning toward wireless, but can be persuaded to go wired if I can get better sound for less money My budget is $300.

Can I get a recommendation from y'all on a PS4 headset setup in my price range?

 

PLYR1 is pretty solid for an all-in-one wireless solution.  I had one for a bit, but ended up returning it.  See, I also had purchased a Recon3D and a Q701 and the AKG just blows the Skullcandy away.  They're like in a different tier.

 

With a $300 budget, if you can swing wired, I highly recommend just getting a Mixamp or Recon and something like a K612 and a cheap clip-on mic.  You can also troll eBay for a cheap wireless Mixamp 5.8.  I got mine for $40 shipped!  That's a great budget and you should be able to find plenty of solid solutions.

post #25041 of 25046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

PLYR1 is pretty solid for an all-in-one wireless solution.  I had one for a bit, but ended up returning it.  See, I also had purchased a Recon3D and a Q701 and the AKG just blows the Skullcandy away.  They're like in a different tier.

With a $300 budget, if you can swing wired, I highly recommend just getting a Mixamp or Recon and something like a K612 and a cheap clip-on mic.  You can also troll eBay for a cheap wireless Mixamp 5.8.  I got mine for $40 shipped!  That's a great budget and you should be able to find plenty of solid solutions.

He will need an amp for the K612, for sure. Might be better off with the Q's, or something efficient like the SMs.
post #25042 of 25046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

He will need an amp for the K612, for sure. Might be better off with the Q's, or something efficient like the SMs.

Thing about the 120 ohm K612 though, yes you'll need to crank the volume higher, but assuming it has the same/similar sensitivity then the amp wouldn't have to be able to pump more current into less voltage like the K702/Q701 that have 62 Ohms. So as long as the amp can be turned loud enough, then it's more likely to also have enough current and sound good.

Anyway, a Recon3D USB will take care of USB mic hookup (just buy a cheap lapel mic, like a Neweer 3-pack for $6), and then the K612 (will sound better with an amp, even a cheap FiiO E11 will allow the wife to adjust volume from her chair, but without an amp it will have less fatiguing highs than an unamped Q701). Cool thing about the Recon3D USB is that it's a nicely streamlined setup: you get mic+chat audio without plugging anything into a controller, so your controller is untethered, and the Recon3D USB comes with a nice flat-cable extension cord that resists tangles and is the only thing between your seat and the TV area while playing. Also, mic gain boost works, so she can make the mic louder if she has to talk quietly yet still be heard over game sounds. The only weaknesses IMO of the Recon3D is that it has the weakest amp of the console surround processors, and she won't be able to tune the chat:game volume balance. Neither was a big issue for me.

Other options: turtle beach is coming out with a new TAC unit, but I haven't had any hands-on time with it. Sennheiser also has a few wireless headphones that are supposed to be good with some built-in surround, but you'd have to figure out chat/mic. I already detailed my top recommendation first thing smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Evshrug - Today at 2:09 pm
post #25043 of 25046

Well guys I returned my Siberia v2 earlier this week. I jumped the gun and went ahead and bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s. Got them in the mail today and I'll take a listen to them as soon as I get home! Hoping for some good results! I wonder how they'll compare to my m50s.

post #25044 of 25046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Thing about the 120 ohm K612 though, yes you'll need to crank the volume higher, but assuming it has the same/similar sensitivity then the amp wouldn't have to be able to pump more current into less voltage like the K702/Q701 that have 62 Ohms. So as long as the amp can be turned loud enough, then it's more likely to also have enough current and sound good.

Anyway, a Recon3D USB will take care of USB mic hookup (just buy a cheap lapel mic, like a Neweer 3-pack for $6), and then the K612 (will sound better with an amp, even a cheap FiiO E11 will allow the wife to adjust volume from her chair, but without an amp it will have less fatiguing highs than an unamped Q701). Cool thing about the Recon3D USB is that it's a nicely streamlined setup: you get mic+chat audio without plugging anything into a controller, so your controller is untethered, and the Recon3D USB comes with a nice flat-cable extension cord that resists tangles and is the only thing between your seat and the TV area while playing. Also, mic gain boost works, so she can make the mic louder if she has to talk quietly yet still be heard over game sounds. The only weaknesses IMO of the Recon3D is that it has the weakest amp of the console surround processors, and she won't be able to tune the chat:game volume balance. Neither was a big issue for me.

Other options: turtle beach is coming out with a new TAC unit, but I haven't had any hands-on time with it. Sennheiser also has a few wireless headphones that are supposed to be good with some built-in surround, but you'd have to figure out chat/mic. I already detailed my top recommendation first thing smily_headphones1.gif

My biggest issue with the Recon was the lack of chat/game balance and the weak amp.  It's not really great for using with the Q701 because of that.  You have to turn the in-game sound way down so the chat becomes louder by default.  Then you have to turn the whole thing up on the amp... if you headphones are hard to drive, this just won't get loud enough.  Of course, it does have the advantages Evs listed (mic gain is huge) so it's a give n take.

 

Something like the SoundMAGIC HP150 or HP200 will be a lot easier to drive, as Change said, and might work better with a Recon.

 

With my Mixamp 5.8, I don't have any issue with it getting loud enough or with chat balance.  Hence the Mixamp + K612 or Q701 recommendation.  If you go with something like the Recon, check out the SoundMAGIC.

post #25045 of 25046
The only time I had a problem with chat/game audio balance was with Halo 4, that game is LOUD (especially warthogs), but I mentioned it because others might care more. For me, the Mixamp (even the "wireless" one) is a spiderweb's setup, and I had to buy an adapter to use a non-inline mic.

I have a question for Weremichael though, are you guys playing out of earshot? Probably, and I know a few other people that play that way.
post #25046 of 25046

If anyone doesn't have it yet, you can order The Last of Us from Target.com for store pickup and get $10 off.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)