Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1496

post #22426 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 —
I'm gonna stop you right there and say the HE400 is going to sound bad without a strong amp that adds mids (so not a versatile, neutral amp and definitely not weak amps). The highs are high but they didn't bother me, what bothered me is the mids are not just recessed but sucked out to the point that sometimes lead vocals sound like backing vocals to the drums and instruments hitting the midbass. A colored amp can help a bit, and the headphone's flavor suits some specific genres well, but with other genres (smokey intimate vocals, jazz, songs featuring a diverse variety of instruments) it will just never sound right.

I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.
post #22427 of 24922
I decided not to care about virtual surround so keep that in mind. And i already have cal. Just been looking for something wireless for use with pc and consoles in 100usd range... to watch movies from a tv connected to pc. And going a cable across the room is less than fine solution. Same goes for console gaming. Even tho cal is prolly superior than any wireless headset, i coul use something wireless.
post #22428 of 24922
Does the Sony still work wirelessly with PCs? Even if you don't care about surround (or can't use it with PC), part of the $100 is paying for it anyway. There are other wireless options. I personally just use speakers in the situation you describe.
Edited by Evshrug - 3/31/14 at 6:56pm
post #22429 of 24922
I would not mind good vss but ive tested that with my xonar dg, cal an dolby heasphone and even tho it was working, i disliked the sq with processing of dh.

cal headband is just too hard and cables are starting to get long in a teeth for me.
Yes that sony thingh is said to work with pc ans ps4..
i was also thinking about something comfortable with detachable cable so i could switch to what ineed but there is nothing interesting. Cal i really the Best headphine in 100usd range
Edited by HiCZoK - 3/31/14 at 7:01pm
post #22430 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


I'm gonna stop you right there and say the HE400 is going to sound bad without a strong amp that adds mids (so not a versatile, neutral amp and definitely not weak amps). The highs are high but they didn't bother me, what bothered me is the mids are not just recessed but sucked out to the point that sometimes lead vocals sound like backing vocals to the drums and instruments hitting the midbass. A colored amp can help a bit, and the headphone's flavor suits some specific genres well, but with other genres (smokey intimate vocals, jazz, songs featuring a diverse variety of instruments) it will just never sound right.

I have a video review of me testing them out, but I never posted it because I spent at least 5 minutes noticing just how much the sound is affected by anything close to the earcups. If you didn't think there was a big difference between open vs closed headphones, put these on and try holding up your hands even a foot away from the driver to hear how the sound changes, no joke it's in my vid.

 

Weird, okay.  I will stay away from the PM cans until I'm ready to spend more than a few hundred bucks on the hobby.

 

On a side note, I decide tonight that I'm going to sell my X1 and keep the Q701.  Since I did the bass mod, the Q701 has much more acceptable levels of bass and slightly less mids and highs.  Honestly, I thought the sound moved a lot closer to the X1 (which I wanted) and it made it a harder choice (which I didn't).

 

But I was listening to this album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw12zvPubyc (the bass kicks in about 9 mins in) on my Q's and thought, "Hey, I'm going to try it on my X1!  With that bass, it should kick ass!"  And what happened?  I lost my sparkle in the highs, lost some soundstage, and got that "flabby" bass.  Like it was great bass, but it just felt so imprecise after the Q's; more bass at the expense of detail in the bass.

 

I guess I'm not a "basshead".  I still think the X1 is super fun and a great all-arounder.  I just like the sound of the Q701 (modded) better and I'd rather put that money towards an amp for my Q701.  As soon as I sell em, I can afford a nice $189 amp...

post #22431 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
 

Speaking of that bug, the HE-400 is ~$250 on Razordog right now (with the velour pads).  I know the 400i is coming out soon, but this sounds like a great deal. MLE makes them sound like a very attractive alternative to the X1 if you have a nice amp (hi, Change!) and don't mind the loss of the Boom-pro.

 

comfort wise I gotta weigh in.

 

It's 440 Grams. It's heavy, and u do get used to it but depending on your gaming sessions (I can go sometimes with friends for like 5-7 hours straight), i think it'd be bothersome. and the fact that the treble is an issue -it can be eqd, but that's not as much of an option on consoles.

 

I like my he 400s alot, but I just couldn't see myself ever using them for gaming too much and the weight is a big reason why.

post #22432 of 24922

Do you think modded T50RP (Mad Dog or ZMF mod) would have an advantage over Sony MA900 for gaming (with CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone) and movie watching? Connected to Xonar Essence STX sound card.

Mad Lust Envy gave 8.75 to Mad Dog for fun and 7 for competitive, while MA900 scored 8 and 8.75.

If I am more after narutal, realistic, immersive sound (sort of coming from the real world, not the headphones), should I spend more on T50RP mods or go with MA900?

From what I read about ZMF mod, it seems to be more towards monitoring sound versus Mad Dog.

post #22433 of 24922
If you can have an open headphone in your environment I'd always recommend it over a closed headphone.
Especially with gaming, I find open headphones to add a new level of immersion because of the air and projection.
Mad Dogs are great but a closed headphone will always be closed thereby I'd recommend the MA900 instead. I own it and it is a great all-round headphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stun View Post

Do you think modded T50RP (Mad Dog or ZMF mod) would have an advantage over Sony MA900 for gaming (with CMSS-3D or Dolby Headphone) and movie watching? Connected to Xonar Essence STX sound card.
Mad Lust Envy gave 8.75 to Mad Dog for fun and 7 for competitive, while MA900 scored 8 and 8.75.
If I am more after narutal, realistic, immersive sound (sort of coming from the real world, not the headphones), should I spend more on T50RP mods or go with MA900?
From what I read about ZMF mod, it seems to be more towards monitoring sound versus Mad Dog.
post #22434 of 24922

is there anything below $200 significantly better than a sennheiser HD 595 for gaming? if so what are the options?

post #22435 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

If you can have an open headphone in your environment I'd always recommend it over a closed headphone.
Especially with gaming, I find open headphones to add a new level of immersion because of the air and projection.
Mad Dogs are great but a closed headphone will always be closed thereby I'd recommend the MA900 instead. I own it and it is a great all-round headphone.

Someone on this forum mentioned that ZMF T50RP have soundstage about the same size as MA900.

post #22436 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stun View Post
 

Someone on this forum mentioned that ZMF T50RP have soundstage about the same size as MA900.

Yes the headphone might as well have similarly sized soundstage but it's about the openness of the sound.

Try covering an open headphone with your hands and you get a semi-open sound. Now cover the ports fully with a cloth and you get a closed headphone sound.

Side by side it is much more apparent. If you don't have a comparison on hand or never heard an open headphone you might as well be very happy with a closed one. I was, until I heard open. 

post #22437 of 24922

Hey guys! :D

 

Im running my X1 Fidelio connected to my old Sony Bravia TV for 3 months now.

Besides watching some movies and listening music i mostly play Battlefield 4 (competetive) on my PS4.

I had some cheap Sennheiser for over 2 years before, then i went to buy some Tritton Pro 5.1 Surround Crap for 160€ (!!!) and brought them back the same day i bought them. What the hell was that ??? They sounded soo agressive and unbalanced. I felt like playing with some 10€ headphones. Pin-pointing enemys while playing BF4 was impossible. It was just loud surround sound all around me. :eek:

 

Best choice ever was buying the X1 after that and ohh my god, im still so blown away how good it sounds!! :k701smile:

A difference between night and day.

Great soundstage, warm sound with a good amount of bass. Simply amazing!

And its so easy to locate my enemy with audio now. :cool:

 

Soo why not take a step further and buy a Virtual Surround Device ?

After some research i bought the Turtle Beach DSS 2 yesterday cause i only read positive feedback.

I played with it around 2 hours now but i cant get the hang of it. All warmth of the sound is gone. Soundstage is very tight and unbalanced imo. Felt like i was playing with a better Tritton again. :triportsad:

 

I think i may have to stick to stereo.

Or is the Astro Mixamp that much better ??

 

Excuse my bad english..


Edited by jeeezy - 4/1/14 at 5:03am
post #22438 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeezy View Post
 

Hey guys! :D

 

Im running with my X1 Fidelio connected to my old Sony Bravia TV for 3 months now.

Besides watching some movies and listening music i mostly play Battlefield 4 (competetive) on my PS4.

I had some cheap Sennheiser for over 2 years before, then i went to buy some Tritton Pro 5.1 Surround Crap for 160€ (!!!) and brought them back the same day i bought them. What the hell was that ??? They sounded soo agressive and unbalanced. I felt like playing with some 10€ headphones. Pin-pointing enemys while playing BF4 was impossible. It was just loud surround sound all around me. :eek:

 

Best choice ever was buying the X1 after that and ohh my god, im still so blown away how good it sounds!! :k701smile:

A difference between night and day.

Great soundstage, warm sound with a good amount of bass. Simply amazing!

And its so easy to locate my enemy with audio now. :cool:

 

Soo why not take a step further and buy a Virtual Surround Device ?

After some research i bought the Turtle Beach DSS 2 yesterday cause i only read positive feedback.

I played with it around 2 hours now but i cant get the hang of it. All warmth of the sound is gone. Soundstage is very tight and unbalanced imo. Felt like i was playing with a better Tritton again. :triportsad:

 

I think i may have to stick to stereo.

Or is the Astro Mixamp that much better ??

 

Excuse my bad english..

 

DSS 2 uses different [worse] technology than the MixAmp, Tritton, DSS 1 or TB receiver station A.

Those use Dolby Headphone, while DSS 2 uses a lower accuracy simulation technology...

 

All this is written in the guide man! Here - "New version, the DSS2 does not use Dolby Headphone, and only simulates 4 speakers. It is unknown (so far) how it compares to Dolby Headphone." - It's been stated that the DSS2 solution is worse compared to DH.


Edited by conquerator2 - 4/1/14 at 4:26am
post #22439 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

 

DSS 2 uses different [worse] technology than the MixAmp, Tritton, DSS 1 or TB receiver station A.

Those use Dolby Headphone, while DSS 2 uses a lower accuracy simulation technology...

 

All this is written in the guide man! Here - "New version, the DSS2 does not use Dolby Headphone, and only simulates 4 speakers. It is unknown (so far) how it compares to Dolby Headphone." - It's been stated that the DSS2 solution is worse compared to DH.


Too bad i found this thread after buying the DSS2.

I may give Virtual Surround another chance. :D

post #22440 of 24922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeezy View Post
 


Too bad i found this thread after buying the DSS2.

I may give Virtual Surround another chance. :D

You should! It's awesome once you get used to it. Then again, the headphones play an important role but the X1 got you covered :}

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)