Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1454

post #21796 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Umm, Vizio tvs are garbage? Where do you come up with that conclusion? Just because you've seen their lower end models at Walmarts? Vizio makes excellent TVs as well. You can get mid-high tier performance for a mid-tier price, whereas other companies offer mid-tier performance for a higher price.

I have a high end Panasonic plasma (VT60), and that still doesn't keep me from seeing how good Vizio sets can be, especially their higher end offerings.

All brand name manufacturers all have crappy TVs too. You get hit and miss with all companies.

 

This isn't the place to argue TV's.  If you don't think Vizio's are garbage, then I'm glad you can enjoy them and save a few bucks; more power to ya.  It doesn't change my point that LT probably doesn't personally use the cheapest (literally and figuratively) TV's on the market.

 

I definitely agree with you about your latter point though.  The PLYR1 is a great all-in-one solution and I've been using it on and off, even though I'm not going to keep it, just because it's so convenient and easy.  Like The Dude, I'm a lazy man.  Convenience is a great value.  But I also appreciate the finer things in life and if I have to run a few extra cords to get way better sound, then I'm okay with that.

post #21797 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Umm, Vizio tvs are garbage? Where do you come up with that conclusion? Just because you've seen their lower end models at Walmarts? Vizio makes excellent TVs as well. You can get mid-high tier performance for a mid-tier price, whereas other companies offer mid-tier performance for a higher price.

I have a high end Panasonic plasma (VT60), and that still doesn't keep me from seeing how good Vizio sets can be, especially their higher end offerings.

All brand name manufacturers all have crappy TVs too. You get hit and miss with all companies.

As for gaming headsets, why are they used? Simplicity? You get everything you will ever need with some headsets. It keeps setups from getting messy. It's convenience. Sure, they'll never be as good as a headphone and separate amps, mics, etc, but that adds clutter, more hassle, etc. Some people don't want to deal with all that. They just one the simplest solutions, and headsets tend to be just that.

 

Vizio holds that reputation from their early days when every single set they put to market was complete garbage. They've evolved a lot over the past 6 years and they've really improved their game. Back when I was selling TVs I wouldn't give a Vizio the time of day. They were worse than the cheap Westinghouse and RCA models. Today, though, I'd consider getting one. Of course they carry entry level stuff now, what brand doesn't, and their medium to higher end sets actually have a lot to offer.

 

[EDIT] I should clarify that I personally wouldn't use a Vizio as my primary television, but as a secondary tv within the house.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

 

Oh speaking of which, you lose the advantage of those if you want to use surround (Mixamp, etc) on the Xbone. You need to split the output anyways to have the headphone going to the Mixamp and the mic into the controller, so it's not as big of a deal to have the Boompro.

 

I'm discovering that manging the cables is easier with one long cable to my Recon and one short one from the mic to the controller (rather than one medium one with a splitter and then two more).

 

I use the Recon3D with a Mac/PC so for me the BoomPro is an excellent solution if it sounds good. But you're right, when people need to connect the mic to a controller the situation changes.


Edited by AxelCloris - 3/17/14 at 12:54pm
post #21798 of 26145

Anyone have an opinion on which headphone surround processor to use for movies?

post #21799 of 26145

The thing is, a lot of popular YT channels use both a gaming headset and a quality dedicated condenser/dynamic mic... How do you justify that, other than by pay checks? 

post #21800 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post
 

The thing is, a lot of popular YT channels use both a gaming headset and a quality dedicated condenser/dynamic mic... How do you justify that, other than by pay checks? 

Endorsements basically. The nicest pair of headphones I've seen on a non-professional stream is the HD595. I've seen a lot of nice mics though. 

post #21801 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Mike View Post
 

Endorsements basically. The nicest pair of headphones I've seen on a non-professional stream is the HD595. I've seen a lot of nice mics though. 

Well, that's my point :D They don't know what they're missing probably, though. A lowly K612 [or MA900, or X1] stumps over any 200+ headset... But we already know that :P

It's a shame though... I'll make sure to promote good gaming peripherals in my upcoming LPs [if anyone watch them xD]

post #21802 of 26145
Anybody knows when the Astro 2013 Mixamp will be available in Canada or USA, and where???

Cant find them anywhere...

Thanks.
post #21803 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

The thing is, a lot of popular YT channels use both a gaming headset and a quality dedicated condenser/dynamic mic... How do you justify that, other than by pay checks? 
Well, a great mic raises the quality of their channel. And, if people recognize a headset (more ppl recognize Razer or ask about them, who knows about AKG and Beyerdynamic?), that adds interest in their channel. The YT person is probably willing to sacrifice some quality to get those other attention/subscriber benefits. There may also be a product support chain in for professional/business users. AKG doesn't reach out to pro gamers like Razer, Turtle Beach, Astro, and Mad Catz (Tritton).

Plus, they might be too busy working/editing/youtubing to explore audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubos View Post

Anybody knows when the Astro 2013 Mixamp will be available in Canada or USA, and where???

Cant find them anywhere...

Thanks.
Try Astro Gaming's website for where to buy, also I got a good deal at the Microsoft store. There are also alternatives to the Mixamp... the 2013 went out of stock before in like October.
post #21804 of 26145
[quote name="Evshrug" url="/

Plus, they might be too busy working/editing/youtubing to explore audio.
Try Astro Gaming's website for where to buy, also I got a good deal at the Microsoft store. There are also alternatives to the Mixamp... the 2013 went out of stock before in like October.[/quote]

What are your suggestions for the alternatives; I want something as good if not better. The setup is intended for FPS on a XB1.
post #21805 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubos View Post



What are your suggestions for the alternatives; I want something as good if not better. The setup is intended for FPS on a XB1.

Have you listened to the videos in the first post of the guide?  Did you find any of the different surround effects worked better for you?  MLE and many others find DH to work better and so they prefer the Mixamp.  Personally, I find the THX to work better for me than DH, so I was happy to score a Recon3D for less than the cost of a Mixamp.

post #21806 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwolf15 View Post
 

So pro gamers use and push gaming headsets cause of endorsements I'm guessing?

 

Well, the headsets do the job fine, they look cool, and they're handy. I've seen many amazing players who aren't paid to wear **** but use $150 headsets to great effect. I've heard people use $20 IEMs and be stellar gamers.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leperkhaun View Post
 

Hey all,

 

brand new here.  Im currently looking for a headset to use for pc gaming, movies/tv, and then music.  I know basically nothing about quality headphones and Iv decided that its time for me to get one that will last and one that will amaze me.

 

I saw that the Philips fidelio X1 is highly recommended, however it is an open headset.  I saw that there is a closed version called the M1.

 

The reason I want closed headphones is that I dont want to disturb my family and I also would want to use them while traveling. 

 

How does the M1 compare to the X1.  I had read that people say its the exact same, but when I looked up the prices the M1 is a 100 bucks cheaper.

 

The next question is how does the M1 stack against the sennheiser momentum.  From what i have read the sennheiser seems to be considered a very well regarded closed headphone.  How is the comfort of the sennheiser compared to the X1?  Iv also heard good things about the AKG K550.  How does that stack up?  One main concern is comfort since i do wear headphones up to several hours at a time.

 

Or should i just get the X1 and accept that its an open headset?  Also how far away can you hear them?  For example if im sitting on a couch and my wife is on the other end of the couch will she be able to hear it or is it something that she wont hear unless she sits directly next to me?

 

If anyone else has any recommendations my budget is around 300ish. 

 

Thanks.

 

I've been negotiating with that problem as well, except I've also had to handle having large ears and seeing my options and choices diminish dramatically as a result.

 

In the end I've gone with the AKG K550—they'll arrive later this week. They have large earcups, effective isolation, wide sound stage, and detailed precision in the width and depth of the field. I wanted an all-round set of headphones for everything, but eventually I had to sacrifice on portability and go with the K550's. The Philips L2 were also a viable option as apparently they possessed a wide and deep sound stage yet isolated noise better than the X2 or other open-ear equivalents.

 

If you have small or 'regular' sized ears, the world is your oyster. Basically anything will be effective, especially ones with a renowned sound stage and neutrality to the signature. The NAD VISO HP50's and PSB M4U1's are an example of this. You mentioned the Momentums... they're supposedly very good headphones for a variety of styles, but I don't know how functional they would be as a gaming headset. I can't imagine the small earcups would be comfortable for lengthy gaming sessions.

 

You also should consider the Audio Technica ATH-A700X and A900X models.


Edited by AngryGoldfish - 3/17/14 at 3:26pm
post #21807 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post

Have you listened to the videos in the first post of the guide?  Did you find any of the different surround effects worked better for you?  MLE and many others find DH to work better and so they prefer the Mixamp.  Personally, I find the THX to work better for me than DH, so I was happy to score a Recon3D for less than the cost of a Mixamp.

It was my thread that has all the samples of different surround processing, and a list of different DSP equipment you can use.

It's linked in my signature, for anyone cutious.
post #21808 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


It was my thread that has all the samples of different surround processing, and a list of different DSP equipment you can use.

It's linked in my signature, for anyone cutious.

Oh man, I was totally looking for something from your thread and couldn't find it anywhere.  Thanks for reminding me of it!

 

To be fair though, the Bioshock Infinite video in this thread was the one that made it most clear for me.  At least, between DH and THX.  I am really excited for DTS Headphone X, but it's vaporware until I can hear more than one demo video.  :(

post #21809 of 26145

Hey Mad Lust Envy and everyone else ... what are your thoughts on true 5.1/7.1 gaming headsets such as these : 

 

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71/

 

 

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1964/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

 

I hear they are very good  in competitive gaming, but the soundquality is garbage....what are your thoughts ? 

post #21810 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
 

Hey Mad Lust Envy and everyone else ... what are your thoughts on true 5.1/7.1 gaming headsets such as these : 

 

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71/

 

http://www.rosewill.com/products/1964/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

 

I hear they are very good  in competitive gaming, but the soundquality is garbage....what are your thoughts ? 

 

I personally don't care for the sound most of them produce. Instead of a single nice sounding solid driver you get a handful of tiny, very limited sounding drivers and the sound suffers because of this. I would prefer a nice pair of headphones with a DSP over dedicated "true" 5.1 headsets.

 

If you want real 5/7.1, get a speaker system.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)