Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1346

post #20176 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by damstr View Post


Yeah that's the newer design version I was talking about. That's the one I meant to order the first time off eBay.

Question what is the orange piece on the bottom? I unplugged it and it has 2 3.5mm plugs on it. Not sure what it's for.

 

Pretty sure that's for hooking up multiple Mixamps together for LAN gaming or something.

 

What kind of presets does the old Mixamp have... the same 4 presets as the 2013 edition?

post #20177 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

Pretty sure that's for hooking up multiple Mixamps together for LAN gaming or something.

What kind of presets does the old Mixamp have... the same 4 presets as the 2013 edition?
Only the 2013 has presets as far as I know.
post #20178 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

 

Pretty sure that's for hooking up multiple Mixamps together for LAN gaming or something.

 

Exactly. It's for zero latency networking between multiple Mixamps, mainly used in squad competition gaming.

 

As for the presets, neither of the Mixamps I've ever owned have had those, so yeah it must be exclusive to the 2013.

post #20179 of 26109

Guys I have a pretty specific request and I know this guide is made to help you do just that, however comfort is a huge priority for me due to a TMJ problem with my jaw.  Basically if I don't have headphones that are extremely comfortable, I can't wear them for more than an hour or so and that makes them much less valuable to me.

 

I am looking for ones with extremely comfortable ear cushions and overall fairly light, although with a good head support the weight can be offset if they use a good system.  I am looking for headphones that are an over the ear design and perform well across the board (gaming -> music -> movies).  Also these will probably be about 50/50 between home use and office, I highly doubt they will ever see traveling (I'd just use my Nuforce NE-700XNU buds).

 

I'm looking to stay between $150-$225 and I'm not particular to any one brand, could anyone give me any good suggestions?  BTW the features are listed in importance from start to finish, so comfort is by far the most important.  Also if there is something that is barely over $225, I would be open to look at them, but I'd prefer to stay inside that budget if possible.

 

 

BTW my Signal Chain (Headphone) is as follows:

 

Creative ZXR (w/ MUSES01/2x AD8597/2x ADA4627-1BRZ) -> Headphones

 

Also while in the office I'll be using my Cowon iAudio 9+

 

 

In terms of headphones, I've kind of been eying the thinksound on1, although they are a little outside of my price range.  Also the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 caught my eye along with the Onkyo ES-CTI300.  Closed back is what I am looking at mainly (obviously).

 

 

I am thinking about adding a tube amp such as Bravo Audio "Ocean" (Class A Tube Amp) unless someone has a better suggestion for a sub $150 tube based amp.


Edited by NCSUZoSo - 1/18/14 at 11:19pm
post #20180 of 26109
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by damstr View Post

No I got it used off eBay. It's the version that actually says A40 Mixamp on the bottom. It's not the one that looks like the new 2013 Mixamp if that helps.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about. I actually didn't know there were 2 different version of the pre- 2013 Mixamp. After I bought it I then noticed it wasn't the one I had in mind. I thought I screwed up but everything has been great since I got it. Like I said a night and day difference compared to the 2013 Mixamp in terms of hiss.

ce96a6a6_mixamp.jpg

That's a first gen Mixamp which also has almost zero hiss. It's the cleanest sounding Mixamp, but it also lacks usb dac capabilities, so it won't work with the ps3 voice chat.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/18/14 at 10:31pm
post #20181 of 26109

After reading through 2 guides on here I ended up going with the Sony MDR-1R.

post #20182 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUZoSo View Post

After reading through 2 guides on here I ended up going with the Sony MDR-1R.

blink.gif
Edited by Change is Good - 1/19/14 at 1:47am
post #20183 of 26109
Thread Starter 
After reading all about filing for bankruptcy, I placed an order for a yacht.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/19/14 at 1:56am
post #20184 of 26109

What would you have recommended for under $200?  I got them for $195 + Free SH..

 

Also how do I get 2 responses so quickly after I made a decision, but nothing after I asked for a recommendation?

 

Quoting the HiFi Winter 2013 Guide:

 

Quote:

The real gem in the MDR-1R lineup is, to me, the least expensive one--the passive-only Sony MDR-1R. It's the best sounding of the three, edging out its Bluetooth sibling, the MDR-1RBT. It's also, to my ears, one of the best of the sub-$500 closed headphones currently available.

 

The Sony MDR-1R has a sound signature that is at once smooth and detailed. Mid-bass sounds a bit north of neutral, but very tastefully so, to my ears. It doesn't quite have the visceral low-end, gut-punching drive that the V-MODA M-100 has, but, for sit-down listening in a quiet environment, the MDR-1R has what I'd call a more reference presentation. Sony's engineers focused a great deal on carefully tuning the MDR-1R's bass performance, with one key aim being to improve the quickness of the driver's response, substantially reducing the driver's rise time in the 30 to 40 Hz area. To my ears, their efforts yielded excellent results.

The MDR-1R's midrange is also wonderful, presenting most vocals slightly forward, and with beautiful rendering of subtle details that some of its peers miss. In terms of treble, the MDR-1R has very good extension, but is never sibilant, never harsh up top, to my ears. As far as sub-$500 closed headphones go today, I can't think of another I'd pick over the MDR-1R for long-term sit-down listening sessions, across a wide variance in recording quality, and a wide variety of musical genres. The MDR-1R is available in black and silver versions.

post #20185 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUZoSo View Post
 

What would you have recommended for under $200?  I got them for $195 + Free SH..

 

Also how do I get 2 responses so quickly after I made a decision, but nothing after I asked for a recommendation?

 

Quoting the HiFi Winter 2013 Guide:

 

Quote:
 

The real gem in the MDR-1R lineup is, to me, the least expensive one--the passive-only Sony MDR-1R. It's the best sounding of the three, edging out its Bluetooth sibling, the MDR-1RBT. It's also, to my ears, one of the best of the sub-$500 closed headphones currently available.

 

The Sony MDR-1R has a sound signature that is at once smooth and detailed. Mid-bass sounds a bit north of neutral, but very tastefully so, to my ears. It doesn't quite have the visceral low-end, gut-punching drive that the V-MODA M-100 has, but, for sit-down listening in a quiet environment, the MDR-1R has what I'd call a more reference presentation. Sony's engineers focused a great deal on carefully tuning the MDR-1R's bass performance, with one key aim being to improve the quickness of the driver's response, substantially reducing the driver's rise time in the 30 to 40 Hz area. To my ears, their efforts yielded excellent results.

The MDR-1R's midrange is also wonderful, presenting most vocals slightly forward, and with beautiful rendering of subtle details that some of its peers miss. In terms of treble, the MDR-1R has very good extension, but is never sibilant, never harsh up top, to my ears. As far as sub-$500 closed headphones go today, I can't think of another I'd pick over the MDR-1R for long-term sit-down listening sessions, across a wide variance in recording quality, and a wide variety of musical genres. The MDR-1R is available in black and silver versions.

 

 

Maybe, because, we're responding to what you actually posted in this thread? :blink:

 

Did you ask for a recommendation here?


Edited by Change is Good - 1/19/14 at 2:21am
post #20186 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

 

Maybe because you didn't post here?!? 

 

What are you talking about?  Look up 3 posts from your reponse...

post #20187 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUZoSo View Post
 

 

What are you talking about?  Look up 3 posts from your reponse...

 

That didn't come out right... kinda tired, sorry... 

 

read my edit...

post #20188 of 26109

One sentence in the detailed post I made asking for a recommendation:

 

Quote:
I'm looking to stay between $150-$225 and I'm not particular to any one brand, could anyone give me any good suggestions? 

 

The main thing I was looking for was comfort and again from the HiFi Winter 2013 Guide on the MDR-1Rs:

 

Quote:

For all three MDR-1 family models, Nao's team also spent considerable effort to make these headphones exceedingly comfortable. A lot more went into engineering comfort into this line than we have space here to discuss, but innovations in earpad design and inventive engineering around the swivel axis were among the areas of concentration for improving comfort. The results are three of the most comfortable closed headphones I've ever worn (especially the lighter passive-only MDR-1R).

After having spent time with the new MDR-1 family of headphones, it's easy to understand Nao's ear-to-ear grin, and his proud-papa sense of pride. This is a wonderful lineup from Sony.


Edited by NCSUZoSo - 1/19/14 at 2:30am
post #20189 of 26109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUZoSo View Post
 

One sentence in the detailed post I made asking for a recommendation:

 

 

Sorry, don't know how I missed that. What I've read about the MDR 1R is hit or miss. Either you love them or hate them...

 

Doing a quick search through this thread would have helped...

 

Also, judging from various impressions I've read is that they're not rather suitable for gaming. I would have recommended the SoundMagic HP100 at your price range. I've tried many closed headphones and recommend those the most... again, at the sub $200 price range.

 

Edit: Ooooooooh, looky here... I've reached Supremus! :beerchug: 


Edited by Change is Good - 1/19/14 at 2:40am
post #20190 of 26109

Well I read a review on the SoundMagic HP100s and they do sound like a great pair of headphones, that may suit my needs better overall.  I'll see if I can get my order canceled.

 

Next time I want a recommendation I'll just post I bought the worst pair of headphones for the most money I can find  ;)   

 

Thanks for your help.  I just hope they are as comfortable as the Sony's are supposed to be.


Edited by NCSUZoSo - 1/19/14 at 2:55am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)