Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1334

post #19996 of 26159

About to buy creative aurvana live 1! or skullcandy slyr, mic dependent. Just before i do, can i ask why the Creative aurvana live! 2 are not reviewed or recommended as much? They look more sturdy than the CAL 1.

post #19997 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwayne View Post
 
I would have to say, (subjective) that if FiiO was to use DH as it's 3D model going forward, their product would soon be left behind as inferior. I have used all of the above plus others over the last 25 years extensively in the FPS gaming environment via headphones, and in my opinion HD would come last every time out of the current up to date offerings and as you say "isn't my personal favorite". It is not broken, it's just not anywhere near the best and people are wanting better. That being said, I understand there are competitive licensing issues that my stop them using something else, but who knows, times are a changing.
A competitive sound environment is going to require more than DH.

 

What's your suggestion then?

post #19998 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwayne View Post
 
I would have to say, (subjective) that if FiiO was to use DH as it's 3D model going forward, their product would soon be left behind as inferior. I have used all of the above plus others over the last 25 years extensively in the FPS gaming environment via headphones, and in my opinion HD would come last every time out of the current up to date offerings and as you say "isn't my personal favorite". It is not broken, it's just not anywhere near the best and people are wanting better. That being said, I understand there are competitive licensing issues that my stop them using something else, but who knows, times are a changing.
A competitive sound environment is going to require more than DH.

 

 

What would you suggest instead (keeping in mind potential license issues)?

post #19999 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by noswej View Post
 

About to buy creative aurvana live 1! or skullcandy slyr, mic dependent. Just before i do, can i ask why the Creative aurvana live! 2 are not reviewed or recommended as much? They look more sturdy than the CAL 1.

 

They're inferior in sound quality and cost more.

post #20000 of 26159
Thread Starter 
I have yet to hear any virtual surround give the sense of space that DH does. Yes, it's the one to sound LEAST like a headphone, and more like sounds are coming from everywhere, especially when it comes to rear positional cues. SBX would be my second choice.

The only one I personally felt to do it better was Beyerdynamic's Headzone, which sounded just as open, and less processed. That baby doesn't come cheap.

SBX, THX TS, etc all have very good surround emulation, but they sound like headphones being expanded. I'm still aware of what I'm wearing when I listen to those demos. DH's effect is quite different.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/13/14 at 2:18pm
post #20001 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

 

 

What would you suggest instead (keeping in mind potential license issues)?

I really don't have an answer yet for this as it is a dilemma. The way forward may not be available yet?

post #20002 of 26159

Don't all answer at once!

post #20003 of 26159
I just finished installing my old Turtle Beach DSS and since my X1 with the BoomPro have yet to arrive, I decided to have a listen with my generic no name headphones. Damn! What a difference my DSS makes in BF4 on my PS4. Better clarity, hard hitting bass and a nice sound stage. I wonder what the X1 will sound like. ... biggrin.gif
Edited by DADDYDC650 - 1/13/14 at 4:44pm
post #20004 of 26159

I want Dolby Headphone for consoles.

My options:

Ear Force DSS (first version) 65€

Astro Mixamp 135€

Ear Force DSS2 (50€)

I use a external USB mic with PS4 so i don't need mic input in the decoder, is the first DSS quality as good as Astro Mixamp??? (it's half the price) 

Do i need an amp or something with those devices and Sony MDR-MA900?

Can the Ear Force be used in PC for DH?

Thanks.

post #20005 of 26159

k612s vs. HD598s. 

 

If anyone has tested both of them, opinions would be greatly appreciated. 

 

I can get both at roughly the same price and I've heard good things about both and is make it extremely hard to pick. 

 

I've read that the k612s are very natural sounding with forward mids which I know is beneficial for gunshots and footsteps. I've also read that they can lack bass and some music genres won't be as nice on these. Some people also complain about the headband getting sore or uncomfortable, but it doesn't look like much of an issue to me. 

 

As for the HD598s, they are said to have a wide and open sound stage and to be excellent for gaming. Also, heard they lack bass too but can do more genres, not sure which is worse. They are said to be more fun sounding while the 612s I heard will maybe lose the fun factor. As for comfort I haven't heard any complaints. Removable cable is also a nice feature.

 

I listen to all music genres, with raw acoustic and metal being my favorites. But can't forget the classics. For gaming, I basically stick to FPS so I obviously want a great sound stage.

 

Leave any negatives or positives, as both will help me decide.

post #20006 of 26159

So, my Philips X1 and the BoomPro arrived today. I connected the audio jack to my Turtle Beach DSS and the mic to my PS4 controller's audio jack. via a Y cable. The sound is fantastic except I can't get the microphone to work at all. Can anyone provide some assistance?

post #20007 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

So, my Philips X1 and the BoomPro arrived today. I connected the audio jack to my Turtle Beach DSS and the mic to my PS4 controller's audio jack. via a Y cable. The sound is fantastic except I can't get the microphone to work at all. Can anyone provide some assistance?

Third party mics don't work with the DSS (so I've been told).
post #20008 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post


Third party mics don't work with the DSS (so I've been told).

That blows! I guess I'll return the V-MODA BoomPro since I already have a mic for my PC and it doesn't work on the PS4 the way I want it to work using the TB DSS. Hopefully Astro will release a proper headset that works with the PS4 AND Xbox One. The wait sucks!

post #20009 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwayne View Post

I would have to say, (subjective) that if FiiO was to use DH as it's 3D model going forward, their product would soon be left behind as inferior. I have used all of the above plus others over the last 25 years extensively in the FPS gaming environment via headphones, and in my opinion HD would come last every time out of the current up to date offerings and as you say "isn't my personal favorite". It is not broken, it's just not anywhere near the best and people are wanting better. That being said, I understand there are competitive licensing issues that my stop them using something else, but who knows, times are a changing.


A competitive sound environment is going to require more than DH.

You should probably be posting this on FiiO's petition page.
I think of DH and other virtual surround processing based on reprocessing 7.1 "home theater" surround as being 2D; it's a flat plane with no height cues.

I understand why you want 3D surround sound... so do I! But at this point, 3D surround must be something that developers integrated into the game when they were making it. That is beyond FiiO's control. Creative tried promoting OpenAL for a while, but essentially the gaming industry forgot about it. AMD's new integrated TrueAudio is still going to need games writing support for it, and the sound processing will probably be done on AMD parts before it is ever sent to an output.
The fact of the matter is that DH and it's 2D virtual surround peers are more universal. The console is still processing where sounds are directed, and external devices can only re-process this "home theater" designed 2D surround. More may be possible with a PC and designing an external soundcard, but it's still up to developers to integrate a 3D library of sounds into their game. Unless GenAudio is approachable by others and don't have an exclusivity contract with AMD, it would be impractical for FiiO to pursue a 3D surround setup.

That said, 2D surround is still a big competitive step up from 1D stereo, and the majority of the gamer market hasn't yet even experienced surround at this level with headphones. This fact and the more universal compatibility of 2D headphone surround is why I argue that, until the landscape changes (or FiiO grows and has the R&D to change it themselves), a 2D surround encoder is the practical direction FiiO should/could aim for today.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Third party mics don't work with the DSS (so I've been told).
The DSS itself is only "compatible" with Turtle Beach mics built into their headsets... what you do is connect the mic directly to the console's mic input. I think this is what DADDYDC650 was trying to do anyway, when he mentioned the Y-cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

That blows! I guess I'll return the V-MODA BoomPro since I already have a mic for my PC and it doesn't work on the PS4 the way I want it to work using the TB DSS. Hopefully Astro will release a proper headset that works with the PS4 AND Xbox One. The wait sucks!
Before returning the boompro, I'd wait to hear from Mad how he has his "3rd party mic" connected to the PS4. The DSS doesn't have to be involved with the mic signal chain to get the mic working.
Edited by Evshrug - 1/13/14 at 10:00pm
post #20010 of 26159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Before returning the boompro, I'd wait to hear from Mad how he has his "3rd party mic" connected to the PS4. The DSS doesn't have to be involved with the mic signal chain to get the mic working.

 

I'm using a mic plugged into the mixamp with my PS4. As I've mentioned before, it works just fine (that way) as long as you register the controller before the mixamp when it prompts "which user is using this device"

 

If he wants to use the boompro and get both chat and audio through it, using the DSS is out of the question (I would assume)... and the mixamp would be the ideal choice. If he gets a separate mic, however, then he can just plug that into the DS4 and the headphones to the DSS.


Edited by Change is Good - 1/13/14 at 10:18pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)