Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1308

post #19606 of 26134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

K702 AE and Q701 are 99.9% the same IF YOU use the same pads. The AE was a hint warmer (like a miniscule amount of a HINT), but without a side by side comparison (which I did), you wouldn't know which is which based on sound alone, IF THEY USE THE SAME PADS. The pad differences are what makes the AE and Q701 sound like two different headphones. So owning both pads effectively gives you both headphones.

If you have the Q701, buy some AE pads = basically instant Annie, but with headband bumps.

Following that logic the Q701 must then be the same as the K701/2 as the annie edition only has different pads and. Cosmetics...
Correct me if I am wrong.
post #19607 of 26134

What's the best amp/DAC option and best replacement cable in Europe for the Fidelio X1? Also, how does the X1 compare to the AKG K612.

post #19608 of 26134

oh gosh deleted all...


Edited by Nokami - 1/3/14 at 10:27am
post #19609 of 26134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conquerator2 View Post

Following that logic the Q701 must then be the same as the K701/2 as the annie edition only has different pads and. Cosmetics...
Correct me if I am wrong.

I can only speak for the Q701 and Annies, since I owned a very old K701 that sounded a bit different from the Q701, and has gone through an extra bump, pad, and sonic changes, and I haven't heard a standard K702.



As for K612 and X1, i haven't heard the K612, but I'm betting it's a bit more polite, and less bassy than the X1. Going by graphs, both have a very clean/balanced mid to treble range, with the X1 having a peak at 10khz that isn't offensive at all to my ears, certainly no DT990 type peak. The X1 will be easy to drive, and i hear the K612 demands some decent amping. Willing to be the K612 is incredibly comfortable, if going by how the Annie with Q701 pads feels. The X1 is excellent in comfort.


Nokami, AD700x if you really need footstep whoring.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 1/3/14 at 9:45am
post #19610 of 26134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


I can only speak for the Q701 and Annies, since I owned a very old K701 that sounded a bit different from the Q701, and has gone through an extra bump, pad, and sonic changes, and I haven't heard a standard K702.



As for K612 and X1, i haven't heard the K612, but I'm betting it's a bit more polite, and less bassy than the X1. Going by graphs, both have a very clean/balanced mid to treble range, with the X1 having a peak at 10khz that isn't offensive at all to my ears, certainly no DT990 type peak. The X1 will be easy to drive, and i hear the K612 demands some decent amping. Willing to be the K612 is incredibly comfortable, if going by how the Annie with Q701 pads feels. The X1 is excellent in comfort.


Nokami, AD700x if you really need footstep whoring.

I want to get the best out of the X1 with my laptop, AND TB DSS. So what amp/DAC do you recommend for the X1 for cleaner bass?

post #19611 of 26134
Thread Starter 
An amp isn't gonna magically change the X1's bass. A clean SS would make it as tight as it can be. The Fiio E12 actually reigns in bass just a tad, and I felt the X1 sounded the most balanced out of it. As for DAC, I doubt you can go wrong with the ODAC or Modi. Loved both, both sounded great. I liked the X1 just out of the e17 amp/dac well enough.
post #19612 of 26134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

An amp isn't gonna magically change the X1's bass. A clean SS would make it as tight as it can be. The Fiio E12 actually reigns in bass just a tad, and I felt the X1 sounded the most balanced out of it. As for DAC, I doubt you can go wrong with the ODAC or Modi. Loved both, both sounded great. I liked the X1 just out of the e17 amp/dac well enough.

So for a guy like me who loves clean, thumping bass with great sound quality, the FiiO E17 is the best option for the X1 for me?

post #19613 of 26134

E17 would probably be fine. 

 

In my experience, portable amps seem to have trouble matching the soundstage and dynamics of desktop amps.  Even with easy to drive headphones like the X1 this has been the case.  Not to dissuade you or anything.  You can always use the E17 now and add a desktop amp later if you want.  The E17 is pretty versatile, and I like that it has an optical input. 

 

 

FYI if you set the DSS bass boost wheel to the minimum setting it actually acts like a bass REDUCER, and you get less bass than with the stock signal.  So this might be good for the X1, if it ends up having a little too much bass in a game.

post #19614 of 26134

I'd love to see/hear your take on the Samson SR850.   I've been using it for gaming and it's quite good at what it does especially for being a $50 headphone. (we'll see how it compares to the X1's i just ordered).  Nice soundstage, clean highs and good sub bass. 

 

 

Also, this thread is freakin awesome. Thanks Mad Lust for all the info here. I've been using it as a reference for a while now. 

post #19615 of 26134
If you're gaming with a TB DSS though, the dss IS the DAC. You can plug an amp into the DSS headphone jack though.

Chico,
I never realized that about the DSS bass boost, I'll have to play with that tonight!
Edited by Evshrug - 1/3/14 at 2:34pm
post #19616 of 26134

Thank you for all the great info in this thread!

Very useful on my quest to get something decent without breaking the bank for my console gameplay.

post #19617 of 26134

I've got a 30% discount on anything from SteelSeries, and just saw http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless

 

Hard to find any decent reviews online, anybody here have strong opinions? I have a weakness for wireless headsets!

post #19618 of 26134

Put up a little review of the iCan amp. I wrote a bit about gaming with the amp, so if you're interested you can find it here.

 

Thanks so much Chico for letting me borrow it for the holidays. I'll have her back to you post haste.

post #19619 of 26134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelCloris View Post
 

Put up a little review of the iCan amp. I wrote a bit about gaming with the amp, so if you're interested you can find it here.

 

Thanks so much Chico for letting me borrow it for the holidays. I'll have her back to you post haste.

 

Nice review. Great piece of equipment, if you ask me, and I sometimes miss the one I had, dearly...

post #19620 of 26134

About the DSS the "Bass Boot" it does make a bit of difference in games and movies, I dont have that many headphones but the one that I had used, once u get all the bass dia up there is bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)