Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1274

post #19096 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

That's a swell combo. The E17 plays to the CAL's strengths, it's warmth.

 

Cool, thanks.  Ok now for a question regarding the PS4, if I happened to get the E17 and CAL's how could I get chat to work?  Would a mod mic work?  And how would this be hooked up correctly?  Thanks!

post #19097 of 26145

Okay, now I'm having withdrawals...  :(

 

Dear 1840...

 

 

 

 

post #19098 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

Okay, now I'm having withdrawals...  :(

 

Dear 1840...

 

post #19099 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

I'm gonna be honest, I don't like the new Mac Pro's design for a few reasons:

 

-Those graphics cards sure look proprietary to me...as does everything else in the Mac Pro, actually. Goodbye, upgradability! Hello, planned obsolescence!

-The thermal core idea is interesting, but they cheaped out and used aluminum instead of copper, presumably to keep the weight down. I'd rather have better cooling performance.

 

Then again, as a custom-building PC enthusiast, Apple's direction pretty much goes against everything I stand for, best represented in this huge Corsair 800D tower next to me, crammed with a custom water-cooling loop and carefully picked PC parts. I'd probably rather Hackintosh or try and find an old Mac Pro on the cheap (yeah, right).

 

Speaking of Hackintoshing, that's probably something I could do with my old Q6600 box right now...

They're AMD FirePro cards.

 

And no, you can't perform internal upgrades, but the computer is ridiculously powerful, and thunderbolt 2 ports on the outside allow for new external upgrade options... already they got external PCIe graphics cards working with the first version of Thunderbolt, albeit slowly, I think each thunderbolt 2 port gets like PCIe 8x bandwidth. It's possible that the Xeon processors inside may not be overclockable, so... the aluminum core (very big heatsink!!) probably was tested to be over-adequate to manage temperatures, and the point of that huge heatsink and huge fan is low rpms high efficiency cooling, so it'll probably stay cool enough while staying quieter (with lower maintenance?) than a liquid cooler pump and system.

 

Pretty sure you don't have an interest in actually using OS X anyway... Kind of like I don't want to use Windows, it's just that for some games I HAVE to (hopefully Steambox removes that requirement?), most of the productivity and creativity apps I want to use I own for OS X. You'd probably only use OS X out of curiosity (which is fine, but I don't think you have a need for what Mac offers).

 

All that said, the power of it is waaaaaay overkill for my needs... it would just be the second kind of cool for me to own :D

I probably should just get a 27" iMac instead, dual boot it with Steam or Windows.

post #19100 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

They're AMD FirePro cards.

 

And no, you can't perform internal upgrades, but the computer is ridiculously powerful, and thunderbolt 2 ports on the outside allow for new external upgrade options... already they got external PCIe graphics cards working with the first version of Thunderbolt, albeit slowly, I think each thunderbolt 2 port gets like PCIe 8x bandwidth. It's possible that the Xeon processors inside may not be overclockable, so... the aluminum core (very big heatsink!!) probably was tested to be over-adequate to manage temperatures, and the point of that huge heatsink and huge fan is low rpms high efficiency cooling, so it'll probably stay cool enough while staying quieter (with lower maintenance?) than a liquid cooler pump and system.

 

Pretty sure you don't have an interest in actually using OS X anyway... Kind of like I don't want to use Windows, it's just that for some games I HAVE to (hopefully Steambox removes that requirement?), most of the productivity and creativity apps I want to use I own for OS X. You'd probably only use OS X out of curiosity (which is fine, but I don't think you have a need for what Mac offers).

 

All that said, the power of it is waaaaaay overkill for my needs... it would just be the second kind of cool for me to own :D

I probably should just get a 27" iMac instead, dual boot it with Steam or Windows.

 

I know what GPUs are being used on those cards, but honestly, do those look like cards that would fit in a typical PC case? They're not exactly off-the-shelf hardware, especially given the cooling system used. At least with the old Mac Pro and the Power Macs that preceded them, you could use whatever PCI/AGP/PCI-Express cards you wanted. And while there are external Thunderbolt PCI-Express bays, I'd be left feeling like the internal FirePro GPUs are just dead weight if I needed the external PCIe bays for graphics upgrade.

 

Keep in mind that today's "powerful" is tomorrow's "hopelessly obsolete", hence my being in favor of upgradability. The Apple answer to that question seems to be "buy a new computer"...though they're honestly not targeting my sort anyway, the sort of people who would change graphics cards like underwear if budget permitted it.

 

As for liquid cooling being noisy, it all depends on what parts you get. A Laing D5 (which most people know as the Swiftech MCP655 and all other sorts of rebrands) mounted properly is almost silent, and you can get radiators with low fin density, tuned to work best with slower, quieter fans that don't make much noise. It's still noisier than a completely passive-cooled setup devoid of fans, but at least in my experience, pump noise is generally drowned out by fan noise.

 

Thus, I don't believe Apple's "heatsink core" approach is necessarily cooler and quieter...but it IS inherently lower-maintenance in that you don't have to top off a loop with distilled water every now and then.

 

Indeed, OS X is nothing more than a curiosity for me. For that matter, the Mac I want most is a Mirrored Drive Door Power Mac G4 set up to tri-boot OS 9.2.2, OS X 10.4 Tiger and OS X 10.5 Leopard, since that covers most of the Mac software base I care about: games that haven't found their way to Windows for some reason. Unfortunately, said Macs still command a bit of a premium, like $300 or so last time I checked.

 

Of course, when I grew up on IBM-compatibles all my life, it's only natural that I don't feel as tied to Apple. Your case is different; you've already got a lot of Mac software. (Ideally, software should be "buy one copy, get ALL the versions", but it very rarely works out that way...)

 

In other news, UPS delayed that MMX300 delivery by a day. First impressions will have to wait.

post #19101 of 26145

Did you get the 2013 Edition?

 

I've been offered the K812 for a moderately good price but the measurements are somewhat dissapointing. Don't wanna spend that much. If I get an open headphone again it would have to fair better for that price. We'll see about Sennheiser. 

post #19102 of 26145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Did you get the 2013 Edition?

I've been offered the K812 for a moderately good price but the measurements are somewhat dissapointing. Don't wanna spend that much. If I get an open headphone again it would have to fair better for that price. We'll see about Sennheiser. 

Where's the measurements for it?
post #19103 of 26145
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Did you get the 2013 Edition?

I've been offered the K812 for a moderately good price but the measurements are somewhat dissapointing. Don't wanna spend that much. If I get an open headphone again it would have to fair better for that price. We'll see about Sennheiser. 

Never mind, I'm an idiot. Measurements look good aside from the treble being a jagged mess, though it may only look bad, not sound bad. Everything all the way up to the patented 2khz AKG bump looks splendid.. frown.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/19/13 at 4:37am
post #19104 of 26145

I'm thinking of getting the dt990 pro to use with my tb dss. Does anyone have experience using an amp like the fiio e11 with the DSS? Would it sound ok?

post #19105 of 26145
Hey erveryone. I have a titanium HD sound card, and the akg q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?
post #19106 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Did you get the 2013 Edition? [mx300]

It's an MX300 that someone was recently talking about on the forums, his cat broke the cable and the owner was willing to sell it at an insanely good price rather than get it repaired himself. I... THINK it was a 2013? Maybe end of 2012, the guy said it was pretty new but we don't know the serial number.
post #19107 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOmni View Post

Hey erveryone. I have a titanium HD sound card, and the akg q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?
Try it first straight into the sound card, later get a FiiO E09k or Shiit Vali, read reviews and pick the one matching your taste.
post #19108 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOmni View Post

Hey everyone. I have a Titanium-HD sound card, and the AKG Q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?

Schiit Magni or Bravo Ocean would be these cheapest you would want to spend.

 

Might trying reading up and asking questions on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread

post #19109 of 26145

Mad Lust Envy, I just bought the CAL's and plan to buy a mod mic for chat.  What do I need to get it all to work on the PS4?  I plan to get a Fiio E17 as well.  Thanks!

post #19110 of 26145
Quote:
Originally Posted by theOmni View Post

Hey erveryone. I have a titanium HD sound card, and the akg q701. Can you please recommend a good amp for this setup?

If you are willing to put up with the Schiit Vali, its your best option. If not, Id get the Schiit magni. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)