Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1266

post #18976 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
 

I suggest you set aside at least $50 for a sound card now.

 

That reminds me, I popped in to Micro Center today. 

 

 

You guys would love it in there.  They have most of the Asus Xonar cards right there on the shelves.  The U3, DG, DGX, Essence STX, DX, DXS, etc.

 

Also AFAIK they have all the soundblaster cards.

 

 

The prices aren't necessarily spectacular, but it's mind boggling to walk around inside the equivalent of a real-life-Newegg and see all this stuff in-stock and in physical boxes on the shelves.

 

 

 

 

Look at all dem soundcards!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some racks of SoundBlasters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And a bunch of probably-awful "gaming headsets".

 

 


Edited by chicolom - 12/14/13 at 1:53am
post #18977 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenTiger View Post

Wait what?! This is news to me! Are you sure... I mean I know you can do mixed 7.1 many different ways on PC, but Pro Logic IIx is on a lot of PC centric headsets, including the G35 that came out 4 years ago...

 

Like I said, it's a way of squeezing extra speaker channels into a two-channel signal, but it does NOT do so via HRTF techniques. Without the proper decoder, it's practically a plain stereo signal.

 

It was meant to enable surround sound on devices that could only output two analog channels, usually RCA connections fed to a receiver with a built-in Dolby Surround/Pro Logic decoder.

 

That was no longer seen as necessary once S/PDIF became more widespread and the Dolby Digital and DTS codecs alongside it...which actually serve a similar purpose in that S/PDIF only has enough bandwidth for two uncompressed PCM channels, but both of them throw out some data so they can cram a full six channels into the same bandwidth, thankfully discrete and free of the crosstalk issues that can plague a matrixed encoding method like Pro Logic, along with being automatically detectable. (Pro Logic decoding needs to be manually set.)

 

This is why Dolby Headphone surround processors like the Mixamp, Ear Force DSS and SU-DH1 feature Dolby Pro Logic II(x); it's to DECODE the signal much like it would Dolby Digital (and DTS in the SU-DH1's case) and extract all the individual speaker channels, and then apply Dolby Headphone to the now-separated speaker channels for the final surround effect.

 

The only time you need to ENcode Dolby Pro Logic II(x) on a computer is if you're piping it to an old A/V receiver that lacks S/PDIF input entirely, and chances are if you have the means to do that, your audio device can output straight-up Dolby Headphone anyway, making it pointless for this particular usage case.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
That reminds me, I popped in to Micro Center today. 

 

You guys would love it in there.  They have most of the Asus Xonar cards right there on the shelves.  The U3, DG, DGX, Essence STX, DX, DXS, etc.

 

Also AFAIK they have all the soundblaster cards.

 

The prices aren't necessarily spectacular, but it's mind boggling to walk around inside a real-life Newegg and see all this stuff in-stock and in physical boxes on the shelves.

 

Look at all dem soundcards!

 

*pics truncated*

 

Huh, I haven't seen any shelf quite like that in the Marietta Micro Center, but the fact that they still have some leftover X-Fi Titanium HD stock in that shot pleases me.

 

I should note, Micro Center is hands-down THE best place to buy CPUs and motherboards. Even with sales tax, their CPU prices are far better than Newegg and anyone else, their motherboards are aggressively-priced and frequently get a $30-50 combo discount with CPU purchases, and the $200 i7-4770K sale they had preceding Black Friday by a week can only be beaten if you qualify for Intel Retail Edge. (I bought my 4770K before then, but they refunded me thanks to price protection!)

 

If I move over to the northwestern US, I am definitely going to miss having a Micro Center store in the area. Apparently, Fry's Electronics has a major presence there, but again, their prices are nothing on Micro Center's.


Edited by NamelessPFG - 12/14/13 at 1:58am
post #18978 of 25036

Quote:

Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

 

I should note, Micro Center is hands-down THE best place to buy CPUs and motherboards.

 

Even with sales tax, their CPU prices are far better than Newegg and anyone else, their motherboards are aggressively-priced and frequently get a $30-50 combo discount with CPU purchases, and the $200 i7-4770K sale they had preceding Black Friday by a week can only be beaten if you qualify for Intel Retail Edge. (I bought my 4770K before then, but they refunded me thanks to price protection!)

 

QFT

 

Microcenter's off-season CPU + Motherboard prices still probably beat online retailers prices during Black Friday.

 

I think they price them so nice just to get you down there in the store, so you'll be tempted to buy other things too.  The only reason I went there today was to return my AMD CPU + board, but I ended up looking around at stuff for an hour.  Once you get inside it's hard to break free and leave. 

 

 

 

Does Micro Center do price protection on CPUs?  If so, how did you go about getting that handled? 

 

I'm going back next week to grab an intel CPU (4670K ) + motherboard. The price protection might come in handy should they have some kind of after-Christmas/New Years sale a bit later.


Edited by chicolom - 12/14/13 at 2:15am
post #18979 of 25036

First off, I wanted to thank anyone who helped me pick out my headphones (especially MLE for making this thread) I just got my X1's and I must say as  Headphone virgin... holy crap. Why did I not buy something before hand?

 

As I'm playing with my settings with my Xonar STX settings, anyone have recommendations on how to set up the STX to work well with the headphones for music/movies/gaming? I've got all these features that I don't know how to use (or if I should use em). I can't find anything labeled gain or something but have stuff like Dolby Headphone which I'm assuming is more for gaming to get that surround sound, but I've got some like 5 buttons with different settings like Hi-Fi or Music/Gaming/Movies and then there is the Effect with the range of kilohertz that I've left on default. I also put the sample rate to 192KHz and the channels at 8 channels. As you can see, I'm a little lost. 

 

 Any help would be cool and highly appreciated. As these headphones are awesome I want to do em justice for each area of use (Music/gaming/movies)

 

thanks!

post #18980 of 25036

Originally Posted by raif89 

 

As I'm playing with my settings with my Xonar STX settings, anyone have recommendations on how to set up the STX to work well with the headphones for music/movies/gaming? I've got all these features that I don't know how to use (or if I should use em). I can't find anything labeled gain or something but have stuff like Dolby Headphone which I'm assuming is more for gaming to get that surround sound, but I've got some like 5 buttons with different settings like Hi-Fi or Music/Gaming/Movies and then there is the Effect with the range of kilohertz that I've left on default. I also put the sample rate to 192KHz and the channels at 8 channels. As you can see, I'm a little lost. 

Google = friend: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18298469

There's also a big thread on the STX here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

post #18981 of 25036

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2VOELQ?tag=cheapassgam08-20

 

BF2142 for 4,99 Dollars. I'll give it a try just for some OpenAL fun. 

 

Edit: You need to link Origin accounts with Amazon. Damn. 


Edited by Fegefeuer - 12/14/13 at 5:11am
post #18982 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

All you should need to change is the Audio Channel setting in the Xonar control panel.

6 or 8-channel for surround sound (movies and gaming) and 2-channel for music audio (or basic internet videos)

OK, it´s just that MLE mentioned to be sure to configure it to 7.1 in the control panel as well. But maybe that can be set to 7.1 permanently and then just change in the xonar panel afterwards?

post #18983 of 25036

Dishonored is $7.50 at Amazon using Steam for the DRM. A very well made game if you ask me.

 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXHIL28/

 

Game of the Year edition for $13.59

 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXHIM2M/

 

Elder Scrolls 4 and 5 in there as well on sale. Can't complain about great games at a discount.


Edited by AxelCloris - 12/14/13 at 7:03am
post #18984 of 25036
Thread Starter 
I've had an issue with my left analog stick on my PS4 controller since I've first received it, and now it just flat out disregards L3 half the time. So now I have to RMA it, and wait 7-10 days AFTER they receive the damn thing. So I'm basically without my PS4 for 2 weeks.

Gotta love life at the moment. Everything just likes to dump on me all at once.
post #18985 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

QFT

 

Microcenter's off-season CPU + Motherboard prices still probably beat online retailers prices during Black Friday.

 

I think they price them so nice just to get you down there in the store, so you'll be tempted to buy other things too.  The only reason I went there today was to return my AMD CPU + board, but I ended up looking around at stuff for an hour.  Once you get inside it's hard to break free and leave. 

 

Does Micro Center do price protection on CPUs?  If so, how did you go about getting that handled? 

 

I'm going back next week to grab an intel CPU (4670K ) + motherboard. The price protection might come in handy should they have some kind of after-Christmas/New Years sale a bit later.

 

The first time a neighbor took me there for computer parts, I felt like a kid in a candy shop...it's not every day that you find a retail store with the part selection Newegg offers, let alone competitive prices and even extra enthusiast things like compression fittings for custom water-cooling loops.

 

It's even better if you're shopping for computer cases specifically, as you get to see them in person and understand exactly what you're going to be working with if you buy one for a new build.

 

I'm not entirely sure on the details of their price protection program, but my i7-4770K was still within the return period (15 days) during that sale, meaning that I could have made them go through a complicated full refund + repurchase process if they didn't have such a system in place.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post
I've had an issue with my left analog stick on my PS4 controller since I've first received it, and now it just flat out disregards L3 half the time. So now I have to RMA it, and wait 7-10 days AFTER they receive the damn thing. So I'm basically without my PS4 for 2 weeks.

Gotta love life at the moment. Everything just likes to dump on me all at once.

 

Reliability problems? That sucks...especially when the DualShock 4 is otherwise such an awesome gamepad.

 

Seriously, a DualShock 4 with the DualShock 2/3's analog buttons and native PS3 support would practically be gamepad perfection.


Edited by NamelessPFG - 12/14/13 at 10:17am
post #18986 of 25036

So you can't use the older PS3 controllers as backup? Anybody heard of reliability issues with these new PS4 gamepads, or have you just pulled an unlucky dud MLE?


Edited by SaLX - 12/14/13 at 10:38am
post #18987 of 25036

Hi! I just bought Skullcandy SLYR Headset, but I can hear static sound when is quiet, for example in the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 XMB. I tried with other headphones in the GMX Mixer and the sound is there no matter what, I don't hear it when I play, but if someone talks I can hear static. I don´t know if this is normal. Help please, I'm from Mexico and I don't want to return them, it's very difficult to send things to USA :(

post #18988 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
 

 

The first time a neighbor took me there for computer parts, I felt like a kid in a candy shop...it's not every day that you find a retail store with the part selection Newegg offers, let alone competitive prices and even extra enthusiast things like compression fittings for custom water-cooling loops.

 

It's even better if you're shopping for computer cases specifically, as you get to see them in person and understand exactly what you're going to be working with if you buy one for a new build.

 

I'm not entirely sure on the details of their price protection program, but my i7-4770K was still within the return period (15 days) during that sale, meaning that I could have made them go through a complicated full refund + repurchase process if they didn't have such a system in place.

in

 

I know what you mean.  It's a little overwhelming going in there and seeing the in-stock selection.

 

It's nice to be able to physically see the computer cases in person, and not have to rely on online pics or one of those "360 3D" spin views.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was blown away by the size of some of the full tower ATX cases.  For reference, in the below pic that small looking case on the left is actually what most people would consider your normal sized desktop (mid ATX).  The case on the right is really just that big in comparison!

 

 

 

 

 

 

That 15 day price matching makes since, as you could make them do it anyways through a full return/new buy, but it saves them a lot of work to just give you a little refund.


Edited by chicolom - 12/14/13 at 2:45pm
post #18989 of 25036
That case...it looks like Cooler Master's answer to the Corsair 900D in its massive full-towerness.

I remember a few years back, when the Corsair 800D had just released to rave reviews everywhere, and I wanted it. I saw it in Micro Center and wanted it even more. Now I own it, and I like it...except this thing REALLY needs some casters, it's so heavy when fully-loaded! (And the power button assembly is some seriously cheap crap for a $300 MSRP case. Good thing I only paid about half that.)

Now, as for more headphone-related news...Head-Fi is ruining my finances again. I still have no experience with anything AKG, Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser...but I'm about to scratch the second one off that list. Good thing I know how to solder.

Mad Lust Envy, you might want to prepare for a review within the next month, especially seeing as you have DT770 experience...
post #18990 of 25036
Quote:
Originally Posted by raif89 View Post
 

First off, I wanted to thank anyone who helped me pick out my headphones (especially MLE for making this thread) I just got my X1's and I must say as  Headphone virgin... holy crap. Why did I not buy something before hand?

 

As I'm playing with my settings with my Xonar STX settings, anyone have recommendations on how to set up the STX to work well with the headphones for music/movies/gaming? I've got all these features that I don't know how to use (or if I should use em). I can't find anything labeled gain or something but have stuff like Dolby Headphone which I'm assuming is more for gaming to get that surround sound, but I've got some like 5 buttons with different settings like Hi-Fi or Music/Gaming/Movies and then there is the Effect with the range of kilohertz that I've left on default. I also put the sample rate to 192KHz and the channels at 8 channels. As you can see, I'm a little lost. 

 

 Any help would be cool and highly appreciated. As these headphones are awesome I want to do em justice for each area of use (Music/gaming/movies)

 

thanks!

 

Out of curiosity, why did you go with the STX over one of the cheaper Xonar cards like the DGX?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)