Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1234

post #18496 of 25599
Grado's & Sony V6 are good and would work... I do love my dad's Grado SR60 (which I bought for him) with some awesome 70's Rock, they really make me wanna headbang, but neither of those headphones have that magic soundstage juice that makes the ambient world in a videogame come to life. But they're still good headphones.

I got my AD700 four years ago for about $80 from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. And I had a bad customer service experience, it took a month to actually get the headphone I ordered because apparently their inventory system thought the A700 was the same headphone. Now I'd rather spend a bit more and get the right product directly from Amazon. If competitive gaming surround/tactical is your absolute priority, then the AD700 or AD700x is your answer.

For me, my first AKG was an upgrade (Q701) in warmth and immersion (music sounded more lively and got me more involved!) with almost no drawbacks, it took me a few months to realize that the frontal soundstage imaging depth was a bit shorter than with the AD700 until I bought a nice tube amp. I kept both headphones for quite a few months, trying to decide between the quality difference and value, but in the end the Q701 won out because it was the headphone I wanted to listen to.

The Sony MDR-MA900 was the first headphone I'd heard that joined in the AD700 and Q701's (and K712's) rarified echelon of having very good and noticeable soundstage. It was very good at creating a space, but ultimately I felt it wasn't enough of a bargain (for me, bought my Q701 used HEY-OOh!) and it was the same comparison again where the K712 sounded more lively and begged to be used. I probably would've sold my K712 by now, except that with the Q701, K712, and MA900 all available at once, the Q seemed to have a touch less mids than I was looking for... but by itself I would never have noticed. Recent reviews of the K612 have me very interested from a value and balanced-yet-lively point of view, but knowing myself, I would probably end up owning 3 different yet very similar AKG models ph34r.gif
Edited by Evshrug - 11/29/13 at 9:27pm
post #18497 of 25599
AvroArrow,
If the Vali is anything like my tube amp, you may find the Annie's taking the lead in musicality. Then again, the Sennheiser sound may be just more your preference, and that's totally fine too.

...

If you get the Vali, you'll probably like the effect with the HD598, but despite the cost you may find it hard to resist the Annies on the same setup with the amp. AKGs really seem to reveal differences in amps, the sennheisers I've heard tend to gloss over the differences and impart their sound signature.
post #18498 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by avens View Post
 

Thanks for the answer. Would you say the AD700s are a sizable upgrade coming from soundstage modded 555s? Way better than the 598?

 

Same questions go about the K701 (and relateD) compared with the 555 and 598s, knowing the K701s won't be as good soundstage-wise as the AD700s. Right now I'm more interested in the AKGs than in the 700s because they are overall better, but I must know before hand if the soundstage and overall gaming aspects of the AKGs are better than the 555s and 598s, and also if the difference between the AD700s and AKGs for gaming is substantial enough for me to forget about the nicer AKGs.

 

To be honest the reason why I didn't buy the 598 today is not only that I want a 10/10 headphone for gaming instead of a 9.5/10, but it also has hideous looks (one of the worst looking I've ever seen) and I know low tier sennheisers don't have great build quality. That's why I'm now thinking about the AD700 in particular (infinite soundstage) and the AKGs (way better headphones overall). The HD800s are discarded since that's overkill for what I want.

 

 

The AD700 is a slight upgrade in soundstage from the HD5xx, but is also a step back in terms of immersion. 

 

HD55x and the AKGs are almost on par with each other in terms of competitive soundwhoring.  The main benefit from the AKGs is in immersion and music listening (fuller sound, better extension, more detailed and refined).

 

If you only want 10/10 soundwhoring (and not the 9.5/10 from the Senns and AKGs), then the AD700 is a logical choice.

 

Only caring about maximum soundwhoring ability in a headphone is sort of equivalent to only caring about maximum frames per second with your graphics.  You may get a slight advantage by sacrificing certain settings to squeeze out those extra FPS, but the graphics will be more bland and less exciting.    I would rather trade of a few of those extra FPS for that richer and more immersive experience. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaLX View Post
 

Go for these - Stereo, built very well, has a mic, velour cups and gets good reviews: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/headphones/1299214/qpad-qh-85.

 

 

I believe those are a headset version/rebrand of the Takstar hi2050 headphone (which itself goes by a bunch of other names). 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

 

They get decent reviews and are also quite cheap, so they are probably one of the better options in the sub 100 bracket.

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisman View Post
 

I have been testing out my new Vali for the past few hours, and I have some impressions. With the rubber feet, and on a solid surface the micro-phonics really are not that bad, but I expect for a lot of people to make a huge deal of it.

 

Microphonics...on a desktop amp? 

 

I don't understand.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPuser9083 View Post
 

How would Grados or MDR-V6s work for gaming? A little curious there.

 

 

Can't speak on the MDRV6, but the lower end Grados are just OK.  They don't really have anything special about the soundstage IMO.  They sounded intimate next to my Q701s.


Edited by chicolom - 11/29/13 at 10:02pm
post #18499 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

Microphonics...on a desktop amp? 

 

I don't understand.

 

It's documented in the Vali thread.  If you tap the casing or just plug in the headphones, the vibrations shake the tubes and if you listen to it right away, you'll hear an EEEEeeeeee or ringing sound that decreases and goes away in about a minute.  Schiit says it's one of the several trade-offs of the design to hit that price point.  It's on their product FAQ page.  I still want to try it out as I've never heard a tube amp before and it looks to be more powerful than both of my DAC/Amp combos.  

post #18500 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

AvroArrow,
If the Vali is anything like my tube amp, you may find the Annie's taking the lead in musicality. Then again, the Sennheiser sound may be just more your preference, and that's totally fine too.

...

If you get the Vali, you'll probably like the effect with the HD598, but despite the cost you may find it hard to resist the Annies on the same setup with the amp. AKGs really seem to reveal differences in amps, the sennheisers I've heard tend to gloss over the differences and impart their sound signature.

 

I've never heard proper mid-fi Sennheisers before (I had the RS116 wireless headphones before, which I passed along to my sister and they definitely did not sound anything like the HD598) and I'm liking them so far, especially for the price I paid.  Apparently they're supposed to sound even better after burn in... and I've only listened to them for less than 10 hours since I got them.  I'm hoping the Vali will make my Annies even more musical and enjoyable because while the HD598 are quite comfortable for my big head, the Annies are still better comfort wise.  Might be a while before I get the Vali though... I went a little bit crazy with BF shopping and the Vali while for sale, isn't on sale.  

post #18501 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroArrow View Post
 

 

That's good to hear, literally.  I've been holding off getting a $100-150 dedicated amp because I was waiting for the Vali's release.  I also have the HD598 (from an awesome $140 BF deal last week) and K702 Annies currently driven by Audioengine D1 and sometimes Fiio E17.  I really wanted to try the tube sound, but all the sub-$100 tube amps available (before the Vali) were not very appealing.

 

 

What are you driving your headphones with?  I just got the HD598 a couple days ago and to me they actually sound more... fun and musical than my Annies driven by the D1.  I find the bass more enjoyable with the HD598 vs Annies when I listen to music (mostly female vocals, pop, rock).  Mids, treble, and detail is better with the Annies.  I haven't really done any critical listening nor gaming with them yet, but for pure fun music enjoyment, I actually prefer the HD598 right now.  Maybe I'm not driving my Annies properly with only the D1 or E17?  Considering my Annies cost 2.6x more, I think the HD598 are pretty good bang for buck.  Build wise, I think the Annies and AD700 feel more solid than the HD598.  

I guess everybody hears things different, but I feel like the annie does everything the hd598s do but better. Especially with the bass, and the larger soundstage, and detail. Its not that the HD598s are bad, they are a screaming deal at $140. 

 

I use a Schiit bifrost/asgard 2. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


If you get the Vali, you'll probably like the effect with the HD598, but despite the cost you may find it hard to resist the Annies on the same setup with the amp. AKGs really seem to reveal differences in amps, the sennheisers I've heard tend to gloss over the differences and impart their sound signature.

Truth. Probably the reason I have been going amp crazy lately, its nice to hear the differences. 

 

I am really intrigued by tube amps now, the Vali is a pretty cool piece of kit. 


Edited by davisman - 11/29/13 at 10:34pm
post #18502 of 25599
Read the Vali thread (seems these days I rarely venture out from my favourite threads >_<). In short:

Hnnnnnggggg!

The positive traits described of the included Raytheon tube match my description of what I liked/loved about my Sylvania JAN 6DJ8. Seriously, I recommend people read the first two or three pages of that thread. You can't change the tube, which is kind of a bummer, but the Sylvania was (is?) my favourite even though I do like my Voskhod.

My only caution would be the microphonics... I eventually swapped away from my Bugle Boy tube just because it was pretty easy to get that metallic "ting," which I found annoying and eventually (after months of usage) seemed like sometimes the ring never settled. This is a different tube and circumstance though, and a little more R&D went into this Vali I think. Mention of dampening rubber grommets made me take notice, might be a worthwhile mod.

Anyway, I guess now I'm woken up a bit (crashed after work, I'm in retail so I'm sure you guys understand), I may as well pop in my new disc and play the first level of CoD: Ghosts.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/29/13 at 11:05pm
post #18503 of 25599

Chico, if you ever want to hear the Vali mine will be in tomorrow. So once the wife and I get our new place you'd be welcome to come listen to it for a bit.

post #18504 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post


Maybe the guide could use a "F.A.Q" section, and you could just say "check the FAQ" everytime someone asks one of the same questions that gets asked every day.

Some of us could help you write some of the answers.  I know I've answered the same questions many times, and it'd be nice to say "check the FAQ" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB305 View Post

Great suggestion, I know I have asked my fair share of questions on the forum (never pm'd anyone though) and have been given very helpful answers, suggestions and advice. We got to remember though, as a community, this thread is now 1200+ pages. A lot of our questions have been answered somewhere before, but it will take a long time finding them so I don't blame anyone for not sifting through all the comments. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! God bless you and your families.
Believe you me, in the mere near 2 years I've been following this thread (which has been going on longer), I know the post count climbs. Honestly sometimes, I think that if the regular contributors just STOPPED posting today, people asking the repeat questions would look back 2-3 pages to see a response to basically the same question. And maybe, if the regulars kept posting while ignoring help requests, the requesters may read the guide and apply critical thinking to gauge if a review fits the kind of sound they're looking for. I mean seriously, if a headphone is not in the guide, it is either an inferior choice for gaming OR simply fails to have an attractive sound to get Mad (or one one else experienced) to review it. That said, ALL THAT SAID, even though I feel like I could almost cut/paste (and have a few times), I still reply from time to time because it feels good to help people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu View Post

So the Audio Technica  are good for both gaming and music/other things? I mean I don't listen to music a lot, but when I do I'd like it to sound good. Can you link me to this competitive AD700? I only see regular AD700. Also most of them so far I've seen are far over budget, although ones I can look for if they get discounted on cyber Monday. The Corsair looks nice and its the second version which is why I guess it doesn't have as many reviews. Although someone right below you just said they were bad so now idk.I was looking at a Zal mic it was pretty cheap and highly rated would that work? Would I need a creative sound card? Like I said I have a USB 7.1 audio box (guess this is considered an external soundcard?) is that not good enough?

Evshrug: the regular AD700 is competitive advantage for gamers. It's okay for music, especially if you are ok with using EQ to tailor sound to a genre, but the native, natural sound of an AD700 is not neutral and better suited for games. It has tight but subdued bass that rolls off early, mostly neutral mids, colored/elevated treble, and a lot of airflow to the big drivers which helps them provide a very broad soundstage which often makes sound seem to come from the room around you. This is all beneficial to competitive gaming, because the soundstage works very very well with surround DSPs, and the frequency response focuses you on the tactical sounds you need to hear and makes distractions, like bass rumble, less likely to overshadow and distract you from your focus. However, the treble "sparkle" and sometimes the spacious soundstage are the only above-average parts for music, and for several genres of music the AD700 will seem too laid-back and light-sounding. Like I said, the AD700 responds well to EQ, but changing EQ more eventually degrades sound



Most until the end looked kinda meh. The steel series looks nice only because it seems the main band has metal to it although the side of it is plastic which is where both of mine have broken so far. Those pleather ear covers though need replacements if they have them. The steel series hits my max budget which I'm not happy with, but if they are worth it and will last I don't mind. The top 10's number ones look pretty nice and aren't a bad price either. Anyone got any experience with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZS5ATM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006ZS5ATM&linkCode=as2&tag=euroclubhits-20
post #18505 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

AvroArrow,
If the Vali is anything like my tube amp, you may find the Annie's taking the lead in musicality. Then again, the Sennheiser sound may be just more your preference, and that's totally fine too.

...

If you get the Vali, you'll probably like the effect with the HD598, but despite the cost you may find it hard to resist the Annies on the same setup with the amp. AKGs really seem to reveal differences in amps, the sennheisers I've heard tend to gloss over the differences and impart their sound signature.

I have noticed AKGs to be very revealing of a system, give them a good system they like and they really sing, I personally think they sound best on tubes despite what many people say, but then again everything sounds better on tubes to me, I have yet to hear a headphone I like better on a SS amp. I do find AKGs a bit more revealing than Senns but I do like the Senn sound just not las much as the AKG sound. I've personally always found tube amps to be a lot more immersive and musical than SS amps, SS amps sound dull and flat in comparison to me and I don't hear more detail, or anything out of the SS amps I've heard compared to equally priced tube amps.
post #18506 of 25599

Man this vali is really growing on me. At first I thought the asgard2 was the clear winner, and it still is on multiple levels, but man the vali sounds good. The vali does have that tube sound, although its not thick or muddy like some tube amps can be. I think its the bass that I like the most. It doesn't seem the color the music at all, and the bass is probably the same, but I notice it more. 

 

It was pretty fun last night playing ghosts with my friends. the Hd598s are pretty godlike for sound-whoring, but they are not a 'fun' can for me. The Vali helps a tad with the bass. 


Edited by davisman - 11/30/13 at 10:36am
post #18507 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

The regular AD700 is competitive advantage for gamers. It's okay for music, especially if you are ok with using EQ to tailor sound to a genre, but the native, natural sound of an AD700 is not neutral and better suited for games. It has tight but subdued bass that rolls off early, mostly neutral mids, colored/elevated treble, and a lot of airflow to the big drivers which helps them provide a very broad soundstage which often makes sound seem to come from the room around you. This is all beneficial to competitive gaming, because the soundstage works very very well with surround DSPs, and the frequency response focuses you on the tactical sounds you need to hear and makes distractions, like bass rumble, less likely to overshadow and distract you from your focus. However, the treble "sparkle" and sometimes the spacious soundstage are the only above-average parts for music, and for several genres of music the AD700 will seem too laid-back and light-sounding. Like I said, the AD700 responds well to EQ, but changing EQ more eventually degrades sound
 

 

Although the AD700 sound (heh no pun intended) like what I am looking for the price is not, is there nothing a step below the AD700 that are in my price range? I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones used right now, based on some reading with a little modding they can be great. The only thing I am also no worried about is do I need an amp for these headphones as well? Because that hasn't really been fit into my budget -_-.

post #18508 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu View Post

Although the AD700 sound (heh no pun intended) like what I am looking for the price is not, is there nothing a step below the AD700 that are in my price range? I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones used right now, based on some reading with a little modding they can be great. The only thing I am also no worried about is do I need an amp for these headphones as well? Because that hasn't really been fit into my budget -_-.
The Samson SR850 (Superlux HD668B) have the same sound signature of the AD700, but with a smaller soundstage and more bass, with way better extension. They also sell for $50 retail.
post #18509 of 25599
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGamer1995 View Post


The Samson SR850 (Superlux HD668B) have the same sound signature of the AD700, but with a smaller soundstage and more bass, with way better extension. They also sell for $50 retail.

 

Can anyone else confirm this, because this would be amazing.

post #18510 of 25599

I'm about to get hold of the Philips X1 (for free - lucky bastard) and will hopefully buy an AKG 702 Anniversary/K712 pro in the new year. I did a search and saw that MLE would spring for the Audio-GD 11.32 in a heartbeat; thing is I'm wondering if the slightly warmer, more musical Audio-GD 15.32 would fit the bill given the choice of headphones above. I've read that the 11.32 is a bit cold sounding even though it's great for detail. I'll be gaming in DH (via a cheapo Xonar - HT Purpleangel) and listening to uncompressed music too.

 

I'd seriously love any advice on this as it'd be a very long term investment: :smile: 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)