Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1214

post #18196 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post
 

 

I'm pretty sure the entire Sound Blaster Z-series lineup has the same headphone amp chip used in the Xonar Essence ST(X)...and the FiiO E9, for that matter.

 

Still, as others have said, I'd recommend getting an external amp if that's what your headphones want. You don't want to replace your sound card every time you need to upgrade amps now, do you?


The SB-Z and SB-Zx, use a different headphone amplifier (cheaper?), then the ST(X) and ZxR and E9/E09K

post #18197 of 24556

So, I just opened the replacement iCAN that arrived yesterday and all is not well with this unit, either. Everything works as it should, except for the damn volume knob. It is somewhat loose and the base scrapes against its surface every time I turn it. This causes a static noise whenever I try to adjust the volume; and the physical scraping when I do so just makes me cringe.

 

I contacted Avatar Acoustics and they're looking to see if I can get a different product as this is my second time having an issue with the iCAN. I made sure to complain about having to come out of my pocket to ship back, yet, another defective unit when they are supposed to be pretty much "bulletproof" according to the person I spoke to.

 

Glad I decided to check it out before posting a classified. I was going to sell it unopened... YIKES!

post #18198 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post
 

So, I just opened the replacement iCAN that arrived yesterday and all is not well with this unit, either. Everything works as it should, except for the damn volume knob. It is somewhat loose and the base scrapes against its surface every time I turn it. This causes a static noise whenever I try to adjust the volume; and the physical scraping when I do so just makes me cringe.

 

I contacted Avatar Acoustics and they're looking to see if I can get a different product as this is my second time having an issue with the iCAN. I made sure to complain about having to come out of my pocket to ship back, yet, another defective unit when they are supposed to be pretty much "bulletproof" according to the person I spoke to.

 

Glad I decided to check it out before posting a classified. I was going to sell it unopened... YIKES!

 

Wow, that's horrible. I'm glad you checked it out too. That's really sucky, man. :(

post #18199 of 24556

Hopefully they can make an exception and give me something different, then I can forgive them ;)

post #18200 of 24556

My replacement iCan had a looser volume knob than my original one, but I fixed it it by putting a rubber gasket type thing underneath it that adds friction when you turn it.  Now it feels fine.  The scraping knob sounds kind of annoying though :\

post #18201 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
The SB-Z and SB-Zx, use a different headphone amplifier (cheaper?), then the ST(X) and ZxR and E9/E09K

 

Oh, so it's just the ZxR. I hate ambiguous manufacturer spec sheets that just say "up to 600-ohm".

 

Still, it feels like the TI TPA6120 is practically everywhere these days...

post #18202 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffen00 View Post

One last thing, you said the only Xonar thats good enough for K702 is the STX. Is there any soundcards like creative or any other brand that has better soundcards then the STX for the k702 ?
Let's just get one thing straight: the K702 (and Q701, and other variants) is a very good headphone, and you'll probably be impressed with whatever you plug it into. When I first got my Q701 and compared it to the AD700 I had already, I could tell the Q701 was immediately a bit more refined, with better bass prominence, and a good bit more engaging sound – even when they were just plugged into an old iPod Video (older version of an iPod Classic). That said, it's performance scales up with better parts in the rest of your system, too.

So, straight into my iPod, the Q701 was already better than the AD700 in almost all technical respects, but to hear a good listening volume I had to have the iPod volume turned up much higher. And even without having heard a better amp (and already sounding better than the AD700), it felt like there was something holding the Q701 back. After adding a better amp, the benefit was more control against loud sounds clipping or distorting, more solid bass impact, less "glare" or harshness to the treble, and better instrument separation and soundstage. I've bought better amps and now even a better DAC, and I continue to hear improvement with the same headphone.

If I knew then what I know now, spending less money on a surround processor and more on a separate DAC or at least a separate Amp provides the best value. I have been happy using Creative's Sound Blaster "Recon3D USB External" and "Z PCI-E Internal" sound cards with a tube hybrid amp connected to the headphone-out jack to sweeten the sound, but I could also send the surround-processed signal out from the Z to an external DAC if I wanted. I use Creative's products because I prefer their surround processing, but plenty of people prefer Dolby Headphone (like Mad Lust Envy). If you want DH, then the Asus Xonar U3 (for PC) is the cheapest way to get DH surround processing and you can use the optical out port to connect different DACs that are even better than the decent ones used in the STX and ZxR (or you could just plug an amp straight into the U3's headphone port, but the U3's built-in DAC is nothing special). The good part about separate pieces is you can upgrade one part and keep using the rest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessPFG View Post

Oh, so it's just the ZxR. I hate ambiguous manufacturer spec sheets that just say "up to 600-ohm".

Still, it feels like the TI TPA6120 is practically everywhere these days...
Yeah, the Z uses an opamp from Maxim.
Edited by Evshrug - 11/21/13 at 8:46pm
post #18203 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by papouse84 View Post

Hehe, thanks conquerator2 - that's the kind of encouragement I need when I'm doing late night online shopping!

The closed ones do look nicer, but from what I've read the open ones are better for FPS games?
I had closed A700 and open AD700 headphones back to back, and what you gain which is particularly useful for competitive surround gaming is greater ease telling sounds apart even amidst chaos (separation), a wider and more round "out of head" sound experience (soundstage), and less emphasis on bass more emphasis on details.

Unless you just think built-in mics are cooler, headsets are overpriced compared to just buying headphones and a ModMic or a cheap lapel mic like Mad's DX or my cheap Neweer lapel mic I found in a 3 pack on amazon for $4. I also think a separate lapel mic is more straightforward to adapt to console use, and it's easy to keep it neat by coiling it around the headphone cable.

If you just want a gaming headphone, IMO an AD700 or the paint-job AD700x are all you need, especially with something like a Creative Recon3D USB to process surround and tweak bass. The Recon3D USB works with computers and consoles that use Dolby on their optical outputs, and come with all the cables and adapters you need. The Turtle Beach DSS is a nice barebones option for consoles (game sound only) and the Asus U3 is the PC barebones option, and the Astro Mixamp is a console option if you can't use game-audio settings to balance game and chat volume (halo4, don't NEED this feature with CoD games because you can turn down game volume in options).

If you like music too, keep in mind my response to Hoffen.
post #18204 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


Let's just get one thing straight: the K702 (and Q701, and other variants) is a very good headphone, and you'll probably be impressed with whatever you plug it into. When I first got my Q701 and compared it to the AD700 I had already, I could tell the Q701 was immediately a bit more refined, with better bass prominence, and a good bit more engaging sound – even when they were just plugged into an old iPod Video (older version of an iPod Classic). That said, it's performance scales up with better parts in the rest of your system, too.

So, straight into my iPod, the Q701 was already better than the AD700 in almost all technical respects, but to hear a good listening volume I had to have the iPod volume turned up much higher. And even without having heard a better amp (and already sounding better than the AD700), it felt like there was something holding the Q701 back. After adding a better amp, the benefit was more control against loud sounds clipping or distorting, more solid bass impact, less "glare" or harshness to the treble, and better instrument separation and soundstage. I've bought better amps and now even a better DAC, and I continue to hear improvement with the same headphone.


I had a similar impression going from the MA900 to the K612, I like it better than the MA900 straight out of the ipod. The K612 was just more refined and the better the system I plugged it in, the better it gets.


Edited by kman1211 - 11/21/13 at 9:18pm
post #18205 of 24556
Kman1211,
Thanks for backing me up. The MA900 is a solid headphone and good all-rounder, but I found my AKGs more involving. I'd like to try a K612 (and K240 studio), even though I don't really have to. I feel like there's good value to be had there.
post #18206 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Kman1211,
Thanks for backing me up. The MA900 is a solid headphone and good all-rounder, but I found my AKGs more involving. I'd like to try a K612 (and K240 studio), even though I don't really have to. I feel like there's good value to be had there.


True, it's a solid headphone, but not quite at the K612s or K7xx series level of sound. I found AKGs more involving too, I always found there is a certain euphony to their sound I could never truly describe and I've heard it to varying degrees on every single AKG I have heard. I liked the K612 better than the Q701 personally, found them more neutral and natural sounding, the two headphones are actually on par sonically just a bit different and which you like better comes to preference. The K240 studio is a tier or so below sonically compared to the Q701 and K612, it's heavily emphasized in the mid and upper bass and has a treble spike, it's what I consider a more fun headphone.

post #18207 of 24556
Chat's workin through the mixamp now with the 1.51 update on the PS4

Sony > MS
post #18208 of 24556
Sha-weeet!
post #18209 of 24556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I'd like to try a K612 (and K240 studio), even though I don't really have to. I feel like there's good value to be had there.

 

The K240 is a decent headphone, but the K712 really does everything better.  Similar warmish signature but better extension on either ends, better technicalities, and much better soundstage.  Also, the K240s shallow pleather pads are no match for the K712s roomy velour pads on comfort.

 

To be fair the K712 costs slightly more ;):evil: 

post #18210 of 24556
Thread Starter 
I blew both my KSC35's drivers... I didn't realize they were plugged into my laptop, and my laptop doesn't lower the volume when things are plugged into the headphone jack. I tend to run my laptop at max volume when using the built in speakers. Long story short... yeah...

Better send them in to Koss... again. Gonna try and see if I can send both my KSC35s in one package. Thank god for the Koss lifetime warranty. Hopefully get two headphones fixed for the price of just one shipment.

Of course, I NEVER plug my real headphones to my laptop this way, as I use my E17 at home. Only my Koss clip ons at work.

I wanna cry. But at least my Kossheiser PX-175 Frankenstein is working well. smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 11/21/13 at 11:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)