Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1171

post #17551 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

 

I'll record a demo of it taking a signal from the iCan's HP out jack so you guys can hear the effect.

 

That'd be amazing! I've been quite curious about this amp since you picked it up.

post #17552 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post

I don't really care about chat. I rarely chat on mp games, just want to experience surround from console gaming.

Btw, why no impression of the k712pro yet, and for gaming.

1. You don't care about chat? Optical is an audio equipment STANDARD, so as long as the console has that you'll be golden. You could even hook up a DSS to an original Xbox if you get the component cable (at least, mine has an optical out).

2. Well... What happens? Every time I go to write a review or analyze the sound for notes, I end up getting carried away and forgetting all about reviewing. Short version is they're an undeniably awesome choice for gaming. I haven't heard the Annie's but I bet they're on the same level as all-rounders of utmost quality. I'm not yet positive how much has changed from the Q701, and which I would consider the better value... The Q701 is an amazing value, about $100 cheaper than the two other traditional big flagships (Beyer and Sennheiser), the K712 is priced more in-line with the other brands and over the Q701 offers increased comfort, convenience (the coiled cable is a nice alternative for me instead of the super long 10 m cable that was the Q's spare), increased bass, and a few other things I want to make sure aren't just impressions before I hype them.

The K712 are definitely hype-worthy, and overall an evolutionary improvement, but the Q701 (with a few mods) may be the better value:price.
post #17553 of 25587

You can't go wrong with the K712s for gaming.

post #17554 of 25587

*This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround (I personally use Dolby Headphone). NOT stereo*

 

So all these headphones use Dolby technology ?

post #17555 of 25587
Nop, i rarely chatted when play mp games. Can't concentrate enough if i play while chatting. Except for mp games like starcraft2, chat feature is very important.
Dont know what mp player i will play in console, maybe destiny on ps4.
My main reason for dh device is just to feel the surround effect using cans. I assumed that the current mixamp will be compatible with ps4 then?
How about 712 for music use? Maybe compared to x1. Or i just keep the x1 as my music need biggrin.gif
post #17556 of 25587
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1991 View Post

*
This quick guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround (I personally use Dolby Headphone). NOT stereo*
So all these headphones use Dolby technology ?

Have you even read the guide?

The virtual surround devices on that very first post (they're even in their own list). That's what gives me virtual surround, obviously.

I'm convinced people don't actually read the guide before asking questions easily answered if they just looked through it.

Sorry if I sound cranky. I'm on 1 hour of sleep, AT WORK and it's 5am, and I have a stupid headache.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 10/23/13 at 2:05am
post #17557 of 25587

Local hifi shop messaged me about K812. 3 Weeks delivery. 1099€. First time I see a 1:1 conversion actually. 

post #17558 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
 

Local hifi shop messaged me about K812. 3 Weeks delivery. 1099€. First time I see a 1:1 conversion actually. 

 

 

Are you getting them?

post #17559 of 25587

It needs to be at least on par with the HD 800 in details and imaging/separation. Soundstage doesn't need to have the same size but needs to be at least on TH-900, Fostex level. I like how it's easier to drive as I plan to stay away from any kind of extra amping in the future. The amp of the D2 is outstanding, just not strong enough for a HE-6 or similar so more sensitive headphones are always positive.

 

At the moment I'll be shrinking everything to my DAC and TH-900. I like the Fostex most, it completes my needs the best. Excellent for gaming (soundstage, speed, epic subbass), lovely for music, suitable for every genre and just singing itself. Still wish it was cheaper for everyone else.

 

Next year I'll check again between K812 and the "HD850" and maybe get one of them.  

post #17560 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post


Have you even read the guide?

The virtual surround devices on that very first post (they're even in their own list). That's what gives me virtual surround, obviously.

I'm convinced people don't actually read the guide before asking questions easily answered if they just looked through it.

Sorry if I sound cranky. I'm on 1 hour of sleep, AT WORK and it's 5am, and I have a stupid headache.

I am sorry I am kinda new to the whole headphone thing, I just found out you need an amp to make the headphone produce 5.1 sound, because there are headsets like Plantronics GameCom 780 or Logitech G35 that have Dolby® Headset Technology built in them, so again apologies.

 

After doing some research I found out that headsets are kinda crappy when compared to headphones+mic combo, for both music and gaming everyone says headphones are Superior, so I ended up here for some advice, but sadly you're guide is for Headphone gaming WITH virtual surround only, not for stereo gaming I am afraid.

 

​So my question is getting a quality headphone like sennheiser hd 558 or getting a headset that uses Dolby Technology like the ones I mentioned above, I will be using the headphone/headset for Music, gaming and watching movies, and my budget is around 100$ only I am afraid. 

 

Thank you for this amazing guide btw :)


Edited by Orion1991 - 10/23/13 at 7:03am
post #17561 of 25587
Thread Starter 
Well, my guide review is based on Dolby for gaming purposes, but when I talk about aspects of certain headphones like bass, mids, etc, that's all done in stereo first.

As long as you get something like the Mixamp or a soundcard with Dolby Headphone or something similar, its basically doing the same thing as the headsets with Dolby built in.

If you're looking at those Sennheiser headphones, I recommend the Sony MA900 instead.
post #17562 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post
 

It needs to be at least on par with the HD 800 in details and imaging/separation. Soundstage doesn't need to have the same size but needs to be at least on TH-900, Fostex level. I like how it's easier to drive as I plan to stay away from any kind of extra amping in the future. The amp of the D2 is outstanding, just not strong enough for a HE-6 or similar so more sensitive headphones are always positive.

 

At the moment I'll be shrinking everything to my DAC and TH-900. I like the Fostex most, it completes my needs the best. Excellent for gaming (soundstage, speed, epic subbass), lovely for music, suitable for every genre and just singing itself. Still wish it was cheaper for everyone else.

 

Next year I'll check again between K812 and the "HD850" and maybe get one of them.  

Is there an "850" planned?

post #17563 of 25587
I concur with what Chico says about the ican's 3D switch when on high. It helps with instrument separation by placing some of them outside of the headphones, so to say. On the box there is a graphic design of the 3D effect that basically nails its description. It shows the main singer inside the phones while the back up musicians are placed outside the phones.

And when you use the high bass switch with it... OMG! The extra space and air from the 3D effect allows it to be engaging without bleeding into the other frequencies.

These benefits are what will make it hard for me to decide which amp to keep once the AG2 arrives on Saturday (depending if it improves the MDs with its extra juice). I love them both the same; M-Stage for its natural open sound and the iCAN for its versatility.
post #17564 of 25587

So I finally decided to Sony MDR MA900 and they are awesome! Never heard so much space, I am really happy, thank you guys for your help :).

And I have decided to buy a headphone amp cause still with these headphones I need to turn up volume higher than before. And in addition I want to buy some AKGs in the future. I read on MLE guide about Fiio E09k and Fiio E12 and want to know, which of these will be working better with MA900 and with potential AKG in the future. Or if you think that there will be better choice, tell me about it please.

Thank you for any advices.

post #17565 of 25587
Quote:
Originally Posted by widdyjudas View Post


I want to make sure that the dh devices can support next gen. I'm pretty sure ps4 will have optical out, just like ps2 and 3. Dont know for the xbn, but i had enough for xbox... time to be a sony loyalist again.
I dont really care about chat. I rarely chat on mp games, just want to experience surround from console gaming.
 

 

As mentioned before, as long as the new consoles have a SPDIF port, it will work with the current DH devices for audio output (speaker/headphone) ONLY, but no CHAT capability.  I remember reading that Microsoft has not shared specs of the new chat protocol with 3rd parties like Turtle Beach, Razer, etc, so upon release, there will be no 3rd party headsets because there won't be chat support.  It may not matter to you, but it matters to millions of Call of Duty and Battlefield players around the world, so you won't be seeing a 3rd party DH device for the XBone upon release.  I'm not sure about the PS4 except that even their own 1st party PS3 Bluetooth headset won't work with the PS4 upon release.  I believe the CEO said that it will eventually work with the PS4 after a software update that will be released sometime after console is out, so I wouldn't expect to see a full DH+chat 3rd party device for the PS4 either upon console release.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

2. Well... What happens? Every time I go to write a review or analyze the sound for notes, I end up getting carried away and forgetting all about reviewing. Short version is they're an undeniably awesome choice for gaming. I haven't heard the Annie's but I bet they're on the same level as all-rounders of utmost quality. I'm not yet positive how much has changed from the Q701, and which I would consider the better value... The Q701 is an amazing value, about $100 cheaper than the two other traditional big flagships (Beyer and Sennheiser), the K712 is priced more in-line with the other brands and over the Q701 offers increased comfort, convenience (the coiled cable is a nice alternative for me instead of the super long 10 m cable that was the Q's spare), increased bass, and a few other things I want to make sure aren't just impressions before I hype them.

The K712 are definitely hype-worthy, and overall an evolutionary improvement, but the Q701 (with a few mods) may be the better value:price.

 

I disagree that the Q701 is a better value than the K702.65 or K712pro if you can get the latter on sale.  After having tried the Q701 in person, I value comfort above sound.  The Q701 were super uncomfortable for me because I have a big head and wear glasses.  The bumps on the headband plus the hard foam earpads on the Q701 were unacceptable to me.  I have read that you can replace the headband with a flat headband from the K601 and replace the earpads with the memory foam earpads from the Annies/K712, but that ends up costing more than just buying the Annie/K712pro in the first place.  Q701 ($250) + headband ($60+shipping) + Annie earpads ($75+shipping) = $385+shipping USD.  If you're in the US then the Q701 are maybe a bit cheaper at $220 on amazon, but that's the best I can find in Canada.  The Annies cost me $350+shipping on sale a couple months ago.  The K712 were $50 more than the Annies when I bought mine.  I recently saw the K712 go on sale for $375+shipping.  I think I should have waited and got the K712 because I just spent $40 to get the EK500 coiled cable for my Annies because the stock straight cable was too long and felt really cheap for something that retails for $499 MSRP.  The K712pro includes both the straight and coiled cables unlike the Annies.  But I do prefer the black/blue color scheme of the Annies versus the black/orange of the K712pro.  I also just got a pair of AKG K550 because I needed a pair of closed headphones for music listening at the office and I love my Annies even more now.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)