Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1141

post #17101 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheuh View Post

How does the TH600 compare to your HE-400 and X1? Are they in another league and would they 'blow them out of the water'?
They are in another league. Geez, Chico kinda got it right (have you heard these?) when he said "Maybe the THx00 is a logical upgrade to the X1s sound, with better bass, more soundstage (maybe?), and better detail and refinement"

VS. the 400: Basically, the 600 can do EDM like a perfectly EQ'd 400 can - without any EQ at all. But then it also excels at genres where the 400 is limited. The 600 excels in classical and jazz as well. This is an all-rounder that actually excels in most genres. If I were to A/B them, I might be able to give the 400 an advantage in bass texture, but I didn't have the 400 with me.

VS. the X1: As I said, Chico basically got it right. Better bass extension and quality, better treble, better soundstage, detail, refinement. I would say the X1 is slightly warmer and I may give the edge to it in some vocal tracks. That might be the only area where the 600 is lacking a bit. From what I've read, the HE-500, with its lush mids, might be the perfect complement to the 600. Then you'd have just about every genre covered. But if I could have just one headphone, it'd be the 600 (or 900). And by the way, these do not sound closed to me AT ALL, besides having potent sub bass that stays just where it should.
Edited by ethan7000 - 9/30/13 at 10:39pm
post #17102 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

 Geez, Chico kinda got it right (have you heard these?) when he said "Maybe the THx00 is a logical upgrade to the X1s sound, with better bass, more soundstage (maybe?), and better detail and refinement"

 

 

I heard the TH900 very briefly at a meet. 

post #17103 of 26206

Just bought a pair of HE-400 per your review.  Very excited as to what I'll be hearing.  Hopefully it'll pair well with my essence stx.  It was a toss up between the 400 and an X1.  Really I just jumped on what popped up in the for sale thread first.  Currently using a set of dt 880 600 right now.  From what I gather it'll be a step up.  Anyway just want to give a big thank ou for what you're doing MLE.  You rock

post #17104 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboy View Post


Thanks for the welcome. I was mainly introducing myself/subscribing to the thread, as I find this is probably the thread I look at the most. Basically, I found this thread through word of mouth. Like in most of my hobbies (e.g., flashlights, gaming), I keep things as minimal as possible. It wasn't until a month ago that I learned it was possible to orient myself in competitive games like Call of Duty using sound. That completely piqued my interest.

Basically, I'm here to see where else I can take things.
Just curious, how can flashlights be a hobby? Is it anything like headphones where you can discuss strengths and weaknesses of different models? Is there a flashlight-fi type forum out there?
post #17105 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by didactandnarpet View Post

Just bought a pair of HE-400 per your review.  Very excited as to what I'll be hearing.  Hopefully it'll pair well with my essence stx.  It was a toss up between the 400 and an X1.  Really I just jumped on what popped up in the for sale thread first.  Currently using a set of dt 880 600 right now.  From what I gather it'll be a step up.  Anyway just want to give a big thank ou for what you're doing MLE.  You rock
I tried to game with the 400 tonight and just couldn't get them to sound right. Spoiled by the X1 in that arena I guess :/ Let me know if you prefer them to the 880 for gaming.
post #17106 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


I tried to game with the 400 tonight and just couldn't get them to sound right. Spoiled by the X1 in that arena I guess :/ Let me know if you prefer them to the 880 for gaming.

 

Oh that statement is a little disheartening.  Perhaps I should have waited until a X1 popped up.  I'll definitely judge for myself though and let you know my thoughts.  At the very least I'm searching for the perfect gaming headphone so I'm sure a X1 (and fingers crossed a D7000) will come into my possession eventually.  I'm very happy with my current set of 880s.  However based on what I've read there are much better cans for gaming.  I know this hobby is very subjective though, so perhaps I'll love my 400's.  Right now I'm mainly hoping that my Essence stx has the juice to power them properly.  

post #17107 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by I95North View Post

ha ha that's too funny... Maybe its because how he is wearing them on his head??  They should be worn all the way down on the tops of the earlobes and pulled towards the the back of your head..

Another thought the left and right indicators on the headset should be pulled back towards the back of  his head if any of this makes any sense lol....
Curious, you talking about me here? If so my problem was that I thought I'd saved certain surround settings to my Recon3D, but when I looked at it a few days ago it wasn't what I expected/preferred. Gonna do a write up and send them along presently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Just curious, how can flashlights be a hobby? Is it anything like headphones where you can discuss strengths and weaknesses of different models? Is there a flashlight-fi type forum out there?
I just read that bit and just thought to myself how awesome it would've been to have a convenient flashlight for coming upstairs and going to bed. Maybe a red one to let my eyes adjust to the dark, or at least one that can go from tight beam to wide. Tactical light, soft light, adjustable beam, size/weight, LED vs Incandescent bulbs (or other?), EDC carry, waterproofing, the more I think about it the more I realize there are many ways to customize or optimize for a task. We use those squat little LEDs with watch battery flashlights that go on a keychain all the time at work, and the several times I've forgotten to unhook mine from my pants have often resulted in the light coming in handy outside of work.

I doubt it would be called light-Fi because fidelity isn't so much a priority in a beam of illumination, but perhaps a lumaphile or luxaphile work? There may not be a community behind it, but I bet people consider merits and write reviews. Maybe the "community" is strongly tied to preppers as a whole?
post #17108 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

I like to imagine that at some point I'll have an open airy headphone like the HD800 and a fun headphone like THx00 as my two complimentary cans.

 

Maybe the THx00 is a logical upgrade to the X1s sound, with better bass, more soundstage (maybe?), and better detail and refinement. 

 

:rolleyes:

 

Maybe a trinity. Very airy and balanced/linear + very euphonic tear jerking + closed, isolated well balanced.

 

Not fair to compare the X1 to the TH-900. Bass alone is miles apart in body, detail, layering, texture and it's very fast. Soundstage of the TH-900 to me is excellent and bigger (especially spacious since many headphones don't get that part right) than it's design suggests but that is the same with the D7000 - not really closed. TH-900, T1, HD 800 for soundstage. T1 and HD 800 are more clinical so out of both you should take the technical superiority and that is the HD 800.

post #17109 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by aak57 View Post
 

How does the PLAYR hook up to video game systems?  RCA cables or something? 

 

The PLYR 1 looks like it hooks up through USB or optical with a pass-though and has a 3.5mm input. The PLYR 2 uses USB or 3.5mm input. 

post #17110 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post


Just curious, how can flashlights be a hobby? Is it anything like headphones where you can discuss strengths and weaknesses of different models? Is there a flashlight-fi type forum out there?

 

Anything can be a hobby, like those tiny bits of paper you stick on envelopes to mail them.  ;)  It is actually much easier to compare different flashlights, headlamps, etc since it is much more objective.  Everything is measurable with scientific equipment so comparisons are quantifiable and repeatable.  There is still a subjective element to it regarding aesthetics for instance, and the person's color perception.  Like how everyone's hearing is a bit different, so is their eye sight and color perception.  There are a few flashlight forums out there, but the largest and oldest is www.candlepowerforums.com, which as been around since 2000.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I just read that bit and just thought to myself how awesome it would've been to have a convenient flashlight for coming upstairs and going to bed. Maybe a red one to let my eyes adjust to the dark, or at least one that can go from tight beam to wide. Tactical light, soft light, adjustable beam, size/weight, LED vs Incandescent bulbs (or other?), EDC carry, waterproofing, the more I think about it the more I realize there are many ways to customize or optimize for a task. We use those squat little LEDs with watch battery flashlights that go on a keychain all the time at work, and the several times I've forgotten to unhook mine from my pants have often resulted in the light coming in handy outside of work.

I doubt it would be called light-Fi because fidelity isn't so much a priority in a beam of illumination, but perhaps a lumaphile or luxaphile work? There may not be a community behind it, but I bet people consider merits and write reviews. Maybe the "community" is strongly tied to preppers as a whole?

 

Check out www.candlepowerforums.com if you're interested in that hobby.  You can read about anything from cheap $5 Chinese made lights to $1000+ custom 6AL4V Titanium alloy lights made in the U.S., and they're called Flashaholics.  It's a much cheaper hobby to get into versus headphones/amps/dacs/etc.  I just looked and the list of registered memebers is currently just under 24,000.  I've been on there since around 2003/2004.  It used to be a more fun hobby because there was much more DIY mods since the industry wasn't very large, but now it's almost completely commoditized so there is a lot less DIY and custom stuff nowadays.   

 

BTW, red light doesn't actually work that well for night vision, a super dim white light (sub 0.5 lumens) works better for not destroying your night vision.  And no one yet has perfected a variable beam light because you will always compromise the efficiency of the optics.  e.g. a pure flood light requires very different optics than a tight beam light, and you can really only efficiently optimize for 1 beam type.  Anyway, I think that's enough OT typing from me.  Back to our regularly schedule programming...

post #17111 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroArrow View Post

BTW, red light doesn't actually work that well for night vision, a super dim white light (sub 0.5 lumens) works better for not destroying your night vision.
I thought astronomers swore by them, because the wavelength carried the least energy or our eyes are less sensitive to it, or something like that.

Torchheads!

Watched Dredd last night with the MA900. So I've now heard a sampling of gaming, music, and movies with the headphone, gonna retest gaming and send them along to Calpis tomorrow if I wake up early enough or Thursday.
post #17112 of 26206

Finally got a chance to do some Call of Duty last night with the TH900's and the positional accuracy is great. I would say it's on par with the X1's... maybe even a little bit clearer and easier to pinpoint exactly where someone is coming from.

 

I was playing some Search & Destroy and I was the last one alive against 5 people, and I was able to kill all of them lmao. Every time I took one down, I could tell exactly where the next one was coming from when they came to avenge their teammate.

 

The good imaging on the TH900's really helps. I haven't yet had a situation where I get confused on where a sound is coming from.

post #17113 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post

Finally got a chance to do some Call of Duty last night with the TH900's and the positional accuracy is great. I would say it's on par with the X1's... maybe even a little bit clearer and easier to pinpoint exactly where someone is coming from.

I was playing some Search & Destroy and I was the last one alive against 5 people, and I was able to kill all of them lmao. Every time I took one down, I could tell exactly where the next one was coming from when they came to avenge their teammate.

The good imaging on the TH900's really helps. I haven't yet had a situation where I get confused on where a sound is coming from.
I'd have guessed positioning would be superior to the X1.
post #17114 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post


I thought astronomers swore by them, because the wavelength carried the least energy or our eyes are less sensitive to it, or something like that.

Torchheads!

Watched Dredd last night with the MA900. So I've now heard a sampling of gaming, music, and movies with the headphone, gonna retest gaming and send them along to Calpis tomorrow if I wake up early enough or Thursday.

Light junkies!

 

The cool thing about flashlights is there's something for everyone. I was reading about people scorpion hunting, while browsing Candle Power Forums in search for a UV light.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post
 

Finally got a chance to do some Call of Duty last night with the TH900's and the positional accuracy is great. I would say it's on par with the X1's... maybe even a little bit clearer and easier to pinpoint exactly where someone is coming from.

 

I was playing some Search & Destroy and I was the last one alive against 5 people, and I was able to kill all of them lmao. Every time I took one down, I could tell exactly where the next one was coming from when they came to avenge their teammate.

 

The good imaging on the TH900's really helps. I haven't yet had a situation where I get confused on where a sound is coming from.

You guys should form a Head-Fi clan and out-soundwhore people with the craziest headphones. Just kidding.

post #17115 of 26206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadboy View Post

Light junkies!

The cool thing about flashlights is there's something for everyone. I was reading about people scorpion hunting, while browsing Candle Power Forums in search for a UV light.

You guys should form a Head-Fi clan and out-soundwhore people with the craziest headphones. Just kidding.
We can't. Everyone would leave and we'd never finish a game.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)