Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1046

post #15676 of 26037
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

I have the K702 running from my Xonar U7. It is a very good combination. From the K702 I get the comfort for long gaming or movie sessions and the good positional queues, from the Xonar U7 I get the Dolby headphone implementation to make the sound immerse me. And both are also very good for music from the PC. And I only use ITunes 320 VBR.

 

 

nice, so running without an amp?

was it you that posted before saying you'd tried the u3 and found the u7 headphone output a lot better?

 

I think what i'm going to do is buy everything, and test it out for a week or two, then return what I don't want to amazon

so going to try:

 

fiio e12

xonar u3

xonar u7

recon 3dusb

 

edit: add fiio e17 to that list too

 

 

my ideal solutions:

1) the u7 sounds just fine without the amp so I can return the e12 and the u3- cheapest and neatest (one box) solution, still doesn't solve my osx problem though

2) the recon with the e12 sounds great and has native mac drivers (2 box solution)

3) e17 used as dac and amp, no dolby headphone (one box solution)

 

is there no way to use the xonar software to process the audio, but output it over another device? So connect the e17 and the u3, but just send the DH coded digital information into the e17 dac/amp? 


Edited by firefly89 - 8/8/13 at 4:51am
post #15677 of 26037
But you say you are on a MAC with OSX, right? Then the U7 will also not provide any Dolby function. DOLBY is running on Windows. And there are no Mac drivers yet.
post #15678 of 26037
I am on a mac, but I only use Dolby for gaming, which I do on windows (bootcamp), music on osx is always stereo, and movies are usually played in surround sound rather than headphones- afaik creatives recon3d USB has thx virtual surround and works in mac, but really not sure how much I'd use it in mac- to be honest I'm happy to switch to windows when I want to watch a movie with headphones
I only considered the u7 for its higher quality components and nicer look


As long as it works with generic drivers on osx and sounds good that's fine


Got the e12 in the post- made an unbelievable amount of difference, and now the u3 sounds better than onboard- if the u7 sounds better still then that would be fine for me, but I will also try the creative and see if I like that (and try it out for console use)
Edited by firefly89 - 8/8/13 at 5:25am
post #15679 of 26037

It has three output options selected by pressing the volume knob:

  1. Headphone
  2. Speakers
  3. Digital

I have no clue which are selected by the generic Mac driver. I can only hope it works for you.

post #15680 of 26037
Firefly,
The U3 may "work" with OS X, but I'm assuming it doesn't add DH processing to multichannel audio, right? And that's the whole point of it, though it sounds like you have few Mac games... The Mac App Store and Steam catalogs are growing, FYI. I prefer Starcraft II in Mac, fewer bugs it seems (played HotS on PC, got weird shadows and looping audio), and some steam games if you buy one copy of the game, you can play it on either system (Like SW: the force unleashed. Weirdly it downloaded like 10x faster too).

Glad you're enjoying the E12! At some point people thought it's purpose was to be a bass machine, which is odd, but as I'm sure you're experiencing it's more about overall improvement and enlivening. I agree that the K701+amp is not a wholly 2x better experience than something like Koss KSC75 straight out of an iPod (listening to Calexico that way right now), BUT... don't you prefer it this way? Lol. Get used to it, and it'll be HARD to go back!

And yeah, the Recon3D USB + E12 + Q701 was good enoUgh for me, lol wink.gif
post #15681 of 26037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegefeuer View Post

Anyone here been playing with a T1 and the Mixamp alone? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Considering the Teslas re more sensitive than the older Beyers, I'm sure the T1 and Mixamp are more than doable. Not ideal, but doable. The Mixamp can at least drive the 600ohm Beyers loudly, and so I feel the T1 would fare better off than those.

Of course, that's still far from ideal.

While I did not do it very often I can confirm this. When I used the T1 with the Mixamp I had the volume at 12 o clock and the game/chat at 1:00 ish. The Mixamp was able to get the T1 more than loud enough but like MLE said it was less than ideal. I have the 5.1 Mixamp that was produced in 2009/2010.

post #15682 of 26037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Firefly,
The U3 may "work" with OS X, but I'm assuming it doesn't add DH processing to multichannel audio, right? And that's the whole point of it, though it sounds like you have few Mac games... The Mac App Store and Steam catalogs are growing, FYI. I prefer Starcraft II in Mac, fewer bugs it seems (played HotS on PC, got weird shadows and looping audio), and some steam games if you buy one copy of the game, you can play it on either system (Like SW: the force unleashed. Weirdly it downloaded like 10x faster too).

Glad you're enjoying the E12! At some point people thought it's purpose was to be a bass machine, which is odd, but as I'm sure you're experiencing it's more about overall improvement and enlivening. I agree that the K701+amp is not a wholly 2x better experience than something like Koss KSC75 straight out of an iPod (listening to Calexico that way right now), BUT... don't you prefer it this way? Lol. Get used to it, and it'll be HARD to go back!

And yeah, the Recon3D USB + E12 + Q701 was good enoUgh for me, lol wink.gif

I have a good friend that is a MAC user from the beginning of Apple. But he is also a gamer. He bought a PC two years age just because he wanted to have a real fast graphics card like the current Nvidia or AMD. He was sick and tired of either late and overpriced or never available cards. As Windows 7 came out he just went for it. Not to mention the sound possibilities he has now.......I think a serious gamer of current games should go PC or next gen consoles.

post #15683 of 26037
Yo. I play games on my Mac, both on Mac and Windows. wink.gif
post #15684 of 26037

So, the TH600s came in today. Since someone on the Denon/Fostex amp recommendation thread said that my Lovely Cube should be fine with the TH600s on the lowest gain setting, and I got basically the same response from the seller/builder of my Lovely Cube Premium, I'm trying them together to see how things sound.

 

Initial impressions before any real breaking in (music only, short listening test): weird and kind of cool. I'm hearing things from instruments that I didn't pick up on the DT880s. Out of the box, some vocals also sound more natural, and some to the point where they're also slightly haunting/shiver-inducing (don't know how else to explain it). The bass is definitely more present and seemingly clearer than with the DT880. I'm still undecided on how I feel about that right now because of how little I've actually listened, but hopefully it's a sound I really enjoy. I think I still have a slightly bass-heavy op amp in the Lovely Cube so I probably need to put a more neutral one in to try to get a better idea of the TH600's completely natural tone. I might end up grabbing something like a Magni or O2 to see if my Lovely Cube is still colouring the sound too much, but I still have to let the headphones break in more before I'm willing to buy anything else right now. Still, the sound seems like it might actually just be cleaner in general compared to my DT880s (which you'd hope for at ~3 or 4 times the price).

 

In any case, so far they seem good. A tentative "Thanks" to Happy Bullets for suggesting that I look into these things, because they do at least seem like a decent improvement over the DT880 so far. Hopefully I do really enjoy the sound for everything after they've had a better chance to break in and I give them more head time.

post #15685 of 26037
Is there a way to have Windows remember the volume settings for certain devices? Mac seems to do that just fine.
e.g. Mac remembers max volume output for when the ODAC is connected, zero volume when disconnected, volume one for headphones.

Windows seems to just remember one volume setting...
e.g. Windows 7 remembers maximum volume output for ODAC and retains that maximum volume even when the ODAC is disconnected.
post #15686 of 26037
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Is there a way to have Windows remember the volume settings for certain devices? Mac seems to do that just fine.
e.g. Mac remembers max volume output for when the ODAC is connected, zero volume when disconnected, volume one for headphones.

Windows seems to just remember one volume setting...
e.g. Windows 7 remembers maximum volume output for ODAC and retains that maximum volume even when the ODAC is disconnected.

 

I have Windows on my laptop and it remembers the volume set for each device...

 

I don't know what the issue may be...

post #15687 of 26037

Finished the last couple chapters that I had left on Dead Space 3. I must say it was a bit disappointing compared to the other two. And the story was awful... frown.gif. Audio and positional cues were less than average, IMO.

 

Now I'm on Metal Gear Rising. Audio and cues are ok, and the story seems interesting so far... very Kojimaish if I must say (even though he did not write this one). I'm still getting used to the hack n slash gameplay. It's never really been my style of liking.

post #15688 of 26037
Thread Starter 
I'm really interested in listening to the MA-900.

Ugh...
post #15689 of 26037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I'm really interested in listening to the MA-900.

Ugh...

I would love to hear one.

For those of you in this thread that love your MadDogs, Dan has a brand new headphone coming out. Just wanted to let you guys know.
post #15690 of 26037
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)