Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 1031

post #15451 of 24769
The X1 when u put it on your head, u look like an ugly mofo. Just take a mirror and look at urself. The 990 Pro on the other hand looks cleaner. The silver velour earpads do get stain easier, but they're still look cleaner, and u can buy a new one after a year or so. The only thing that the X1 does better than the 990 is the bass, and a bit less harsh on the treble. I just can't see myself wearing the X1 and look like an ugly mofo.
post #15452 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Silver velour pads actually stain easier. Black velour just shows the dust easier.

The 990 pro is one of the ugliest headphones I've ever owned. The X1 is beautiful.

Both are huge and look dorky worn.

The X1 is a significant leap in sound quality over the 990 Pro. Make no mistake about that. There is nothing the 990 Pro does better.

I dunno what's gonna happen in a few years, but I plan on taking care of my pads. I'll probably ask for a replacement before warranty is up.

 

 

I purchased the X1 based on the overall positive responses from these boards, but I sent it back the same day and went back to my 990 Pro. It had nothing to do with sound quality.  As soon as I put the X1 on I felt a difference in the comfort. The earpads just were not as comfortable for me as my 990s and they made my ears feel warm after only a few minutes.

post #15453 of 24769
Thread Starter 
The 990s spoil on comfort, I dont deny that. Those pads are heavenly. But you'll be stuck with them forever. If you find the X1 uncomfortable.
post #15454 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguy26 View Post


I purchased the X1 based on the overall positive responses from these boards, but I sent it back the same day and went back to my 990 Pro. It had nothing to do with sound quality.  As soon as I put the X1 on I felt a difference in the comfort. The earpads just were not as comfortable for me as my 990s and they made my ears feel warm after only a few minutes.

But what about the sound compare to your 990 Pro? If it wasn't for the comfort, would u keep the X1?
post #15455 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post


But what about the sound compare to your 990 Pro? If it wasn't for the comfort, would u keep the X1?

I didn't have them long and I'm not as much as an audiophile as everyone else here so it's a bit hard to comment, but yes, if I could replace the earpads on the X1 with the ones from the dt990 then I would have kept them.  I also want to clarify it was just the earpads that weren't that comfortable for me, but the other things like the overall size and comfort of the headband felt better than my 990 pro.

post #15456 of 24769
Having both, I find the sound and comfort better on the X1
post #15457 of 24769

Hey guys im looking for a cheap pair of gaming headphones for around $80 (less or more).  I have heard great things about the AD-700's but i have heard that the base is low and I want a pair that is good for fps ( BF3) and for normal use like music and YouTube.

post #15458 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by noTREEon View Post

Hey guys I'm looking for a cheap pair of gaming headphones for around $80 (less or more).  I have heard great things about the AD-700's but i have heard that the base is low and I want a pair that is good for fps ( BF3) and for normal use like music and YouTube.

If your music and movies do not need bass to sound good, get the AD700s.

post #15459 of 24769

I do many listen to techno half the time i'm not playing, any other recommendations? 

post #15460 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Having both, I find the sound and comfort better on the X1

Damn, it's nice that u have both smily_headphones1.gif So which one do u use more for gaming? I would assume the X1? Also u have the Sound Blaster Z sound card too. That is exactly what I want to get. Just not sure whether I should get the DT 990 Pro or the X1.
post #15461 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post

Damn, it's nice that u have both smily_headphones1.gif So which one do u use more for gaming? I would assume the X1? Also u have the Sound Blaster Z sound card too. That is exactly what I want to get. Just not sure whether I should get the DT 990 Pro or the X1.
I really don't use the 990's for anything since getting the X1. They are awesome for immersive gaming and music. Lately I've been listening to a lot of modern jazz (aggressive bass and drums) and dubstep, both of which sound great. For classical, I prefer my Sennheisers, for a more natural and neutral sound, so it can depend on what you like to listen to. The SB Z puts out a really nice clear sound and has some great processing available. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with the Z + X1.
post #15462 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by noTREEon View Post

I do many listen to techno half the time i'm not playing, any other recommendations? 

Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range.  The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm.  The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air.  The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone.  I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side evil_smiley.gif) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3.  MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.

post #15463 of 24769

Seconded on the CAL! recommendation.

post #15464 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

Check out the CAL (Creative Aurvana Live!), it's by far the best bang for your buck out there for a gaming/musicality combo and they're right around your price range.  The AD700 is going to be a bit more sterile sounding and I'd only recommend them for serious competitive gaming and if you are using 3D virtualization software, but you can always use EQ if they seem bass-light I suppose - the CAL is pretty warm.  The AD700 will have the benefits of open headphones with a wider soundstage and more air.  The CAL is really great if you need -or- don't mind a closed headphone - I've personally not tried them with surround software, but I still feel they position well in some well-suited games alone.  I got my brother a pair and he loves them so far (slowly easing him to the dark side evil_smiley.gif) and I can say they are quite enjoyable in games like BF3.  MLE's review of them is accurate from my experience.

I agree CAL is awesome. Strap some HM5 pads on there if you have bigger ears and you have one of the lightest most comfortable under 100 phones around. 

I would add Koss KSC75, Portapros with clips, or Samson SR80/Superlux 668b to your list as well.

post #15465 of 24769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailin View Post

I agree CAL is awesome. Strap some HM5 pads on there if you have bigger ears and you have one of the lightest most comfortable under 100 phones around. 
I would add Koss KSC75, Portapros with clips, or Samson SR80/Superlux 668b to your list as well.

What are HM5 pads that u're talking about? Are they velour?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)