As an owner and previous 3year user of the AD700 for single player gaming/music/movies... I wouldn't recommend it for solo immersive gaming, either. When I had them, I didn't really mind the lack of bass because I didn't have better headphones to reference them to, but now that I've gotten my hands on some higher models, like the AD900x and WS99, going back to the AD700 is completely unappealing except maybe if I'm in the mood for listening to some symphonic orchestral pieces.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 3/31/14
- productAKG K712 Protagged by appsmarsterx, 8/3/14
- productAKG Q701 Premium Class Reference Headphones, Quincy Jones Signature Linetagged by Evshrug, 4/24/14
- productAstro A40 Audio System - Whitetagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 4/25/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 4/25/11
- productPhilips SHP2500/37 Full Size Headphone with Volume Controltagged by System, 4/25/11More
- productSennheiser HD-598tagged by System, 8/23/12
- productShure SRH1540 Headphonestagged by Change is Good, 4/1/14
- productSony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphonestagged by appsmarsterx, 7/11/14
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 4/25/11
- productSoundmagic HP200tagged by appsmarsterx, 6/18/14
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best all-rounder ($250) Last post on 2/18/13 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headset or Headphones + Mic? Last post on 1/4/14 at 12:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Long time lurker looking for a set of good over ear headphones... Last post on 2/23/13 at 5:44am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I read several (a lot of) opinions about these headphones here on head-fi and also in other web forums. To be honest, after that i was pretty unsure about them. Nevertheless i ordered them, as...
get one if you can , come with a small plastic carry case too and about SQ its a 3580 with a bit more forward mids and smaller bass . bass is as deep as 3580 , nice detail , good mids , vocals are...
yeah these off the market , but i thought lets have a small evaluation of it . nice cable , there is a cable clip , comply tips , nice carry pouch and 3 size of rubber tips . in audio...
These are everything you'd expect from a flagship headphone, only MORE, because some flagships have come to disappoint me, even from the more expensive brands. In a lot of markets, I find there is...
I am a Grado fan. More precisely, I am a Grado modder. Everything I listen to is tinkered with, and woodied….Needless to say, I favor a bright sound signature, open-backs and am not very into IEMs....
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 945
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14162 of 257076/9/13 at 2:49amI understand where both sides are coming from. You know I had a problem with you saying once before that the AD700 has "no bass," which is literally not true, BUT it does indeed have steep sub-bass roll off whereby it would play better than traditional iBuds yet still be I'll-fitted for Dubstep because bass drops have very little impact. It's that lack of impact that makes them great for competitive play, because you can focus and not get shell-shocked by explosions.
The AD700 emphasizes upper-mids and treble and thus sounds very airy and takes extremely well to headphone surround, the Sennheisers are apparently mid-focused, and the Q701 is pretty solid and balanced while somehow having great soundstage and excites me enough to regularly give me chills.
The OP who asked did come back, right?post #14163 of 257076/9/13 at 3:39amThread StarterIf we're talking about competitive and analytical gaming, I fully recommend the AD700. It's just that when you mix in single player, immersion, and bass, or any combination of the three in terms of wants/needs, the AD700 is not one to recommend.post #14164 of 257076/9/13 at 6:00amThread StarterOMG, yes. I was moving stuff around, and finally hooked up the laptop to my Marantz through HDMI. Dolby Headphone works!
I'm gonna have to order another HDMI cable as all of the ones I have are being used, but I at least know my Marantz HDMI works, but it just didn't play nice with my PS3.
I SHOULD be able to play my PC games with my Marantz receiver doing the DH processing.
The only thing I can't get to work at the moment is audio going from my receiver to my TV, so I don't get audio through my TV speakers. Ah well... no biggie. I need some external speakers to hook up to my Marantz.
edit: ok, now I can't get sound out of my Marantz. Double U Tee Eff.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/9/13 at 6:19ampost #14165 of 257076/9/13 at 6:37amQuote:Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy
The U7 uses Dolby Home Theater V4, which I hear is inferior to Dolby headphone. I'd personally go with whatever has Dolby Headphone. Since I can't get my soundcard to output Dolby Digital 5.1 to it's optical out (so my receiver or PLYR 1's base can decode into Dolby Headphone), I think I'm gonna buy the Xonar U3. It has Dolby Headphone. It's fairly inexpensive, and I'll just run a cable from it's headphone jack to my amplifier. THX Tru Studio is decent, but I miss my Dolby headphone.
That being said, setting up virtual surround seems to be an outright pain in the ass. For instance, on my Recon 3Di, EVERY SINGLE TIME I plug in my headphones, the sound settings default back to 2 channel. In order to get virtual surround, it HAS to be seti to 5.1 surround. So yeah... constantly having to go into the sound options to fix that is soooo stupid.
You might want to take the Xonar U1 lite instead. It serves me since 5 years on different PCs. It has a bit more hardware inside than the Xonar U3 and also serves as a very nice volume knob.
Edited by pietcux - 6/9/13 at 6:56ampost #14166 of 257076/9/13 at 6:51amThread StarterLol, did you reply, or just quote my post?
AND OMFG, MY MARANTZ JUST DIED. Just tested my TV's and PS3's optical signals going through the Marantz and onto my PLYR1. The PLYR1 is connected to the Marantz's optical line out, and is functioning perfectly. The headphone jack on the receviver is dead. I tested my laptop, and when I put the volume on full blast on the Marantz, very little of it goes to my KSC75. I tested my KSC75 with another source and they're perfect, so I know it's the headphone jack on my Marantz.
Sigh...there goes $200 and change down the drain.
I guess I'm gonna have to spend even more money acquiring a DSS in the meantime. That or just stick to the PLYR1 doing just PS3 duty for now.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/9/13 at 6:53ampost #14167 of 257076/9/13 at 6:53ampost #14168 of 257076/9/13 at 6:56am
I need some help. I've trapped online looking for a headphone that I can use for gaming and listening to jazz (stuff like Diana Krall), rock (Maroon 5 etc), acoustic (Johnny Cash) and blues music (Eric Clapton). I've been looking at the He400 for a while, but I'm also interested in the 65th anniversray k702. The deep, punchy bass of the he400 sounds like it would be blast in blues and jazz songs, I wonder if the k702 is lacking in that aspect. Also, which amps do you recommend with these? I though something like astro mixamp + e09k would be fit for them.
Thankspost #14169 of 257076/9/13 at 7:08amThread StarterDamn, I bent one of my hdmi cable plugs... now THAT doesn't work. Today is bad luck day.
Diana Krall would probably give you headaches with the HE400. Sibilance is a little problem with the HE400, and DK tends to have a lot of sibilance prone recordongs, FWIH.
Before you even mentioned them, I thought the K702 Annies would be the perfect fit. They do those genres really well, IMHO.
They havs very good bass. Not basshead level, but good bass.
Also, you shouldn't be using the Mixamp as a dac for music. It's terrible for that, and should only use it for gaming and movies. The E9k should be fine as the amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/9/13 at 7:11ampost #14170 of 257076/9/13 at 7:20am
I looked up a little more on sound cards, and based on my current experience, I'm happy with stereo gaming. So maybe I should just invest in a good dac/amp combo, as it would benefit me more on the whole gaming + music scale. I watch shows like Game of Thrones, will the Annies be adequate for the more "fun" end of the spectrum? I know it doesn't have ton of bass, but will it be fun enough for explosions and gunfights? Even without digital surround prosessing and instead, a good dac?post #14171 of 257076/9/13 at 7:22ampost #14172 of 257076/9/13 at 7:27amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by Akin
I looked up a little more on sound cards, and based on my current experience, I'm happy with stereo gaming. So maybe I should just invest in a good dac/amp combo, as it would benefit me more on the whole gaming + music scale. I watch shows like Game of Thrones, will the Annies be adequate for the more "fun" end of the spectrum? I know it doesn't have ton of bass, but will it be fun enough for explosions and gunfights? Even without digital surround prosessing and instead, a good dac?
While I think you're making a huge mistake not looking into virtual surround, I understand. yes, I think the Annies are a good choice.
Just remember, my reviews are based on gaming with virtual surround, NOT stereo. All headphones basically sound the same competitively to me when they're in stereo (meaning a low scoring M50 will be as good in stereo as the AD700 to me). It's all left and right directional cues mostly. So 2 dimensional. But hey, that's on you.post #14173 of 257076/9/13 at 7:41am
Hey, thanks for the answer.
As you said, a gaming dac will not perform good with music. I feel like it will be too much of a hassle:
1) If I buy a gaming dac, having to spend money on another dac for music,
2) Having to keep on changing dacs from music to gaming.
Is there a solution?
PS, I would also prefer surround sound, but only if there is a possibility of also having good music quality.post #14174 of 257076/9/13 at 7:50amThread StarterYour answer would be (despite my very, very recent troubles), a used receiver that has virtual surround. The Marantz SR5002, Karman Kardon 254, etc, have Dolby headphone. If you go this route, you have a good dac, virtual surround, AND decent amplifier.
Switching between the Mixamp and a music dac is not really a hassle. For example, if you bought the E9K as the amp, and the E7K or E17 as the dac, the USB input on the E9K would be in effect, leaving the analog line in for the Mixamp. All that you'd have to do is hit the switch in the front of the e9K to switch from the USB to the aux in (for the Mixamp).
I'd go with the E7K over the E17, as you don't need the beefier amp in the E17 (as you'll be using the E9K's amp. You save almost half the cost of the E17).
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 6/9/13 at 7:55ampost #14175 of 257076/9/13 at 7:56amThat sounds like a solution. If I bought the e9k and the astro mixamp, I actually do have an external sound card, but it is and audio recording interface with a 24/96 dac inside. I wonder if that will suffice with the Annies, which probably require a fine dac.
- Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 44 seconds ago
- › Custom colored HD 800 44 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Gungnir (USB) - FREE SHIPPING CONUS 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears (The Appreciation Thread) 3 minutes ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 3 minutes ago
- › Best IEM tips? 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X7, what is your dream DAP? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 Certificate for Frequency Response Arrived 5 minutes ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › M-Audio BX5 D2 by krishtrinity1
- › iFi iCan Nano Portable Headphone Amp by ClieOS
- › iFi Nano iDSD by ClieOS
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by wigglepuff
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by cleg
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)