Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added) - Page 775

post #11611 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

Impulse, if you get a new Modmic, I might buy your v1 if you're interested.

Yeah man, sure thing, I wouldn't have any use for two, I'll sell it to ya cheap.

I'm really just waiting on the mute versions to pick either a v2 or v3... I never had much issue with background noise on my v1 but my mechanical keyboard does come thru sometimes (more so when Skype'ing while working than gaming).

Think they posted towards the end of last month that v3 and mute versions were coming along. I might ask for a discount or something to try both (v2/v3), someone asked about a discount for existing users at one point and I think I remember them replying that it could be worked out.
post #11612 of 24492
Thanks impulse! I honestly never mute myself... does that mean anything? LoL!

Mad,
I saw this interesting tidbit after comparing the graphs of my headphones, and I feel I must share:
graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=1023&graphID%5B%5D=3301
post #11613 of 24492
Hey evershrug, how much would you sell you ad700s for if you were gonna sell them? because I'd be interested in making a purchase.
post #11614 of 24492
Heh, I think the mute function's just useful for being able to talk with someone in the same room without having to cup the mic etc. Might as well hold off for it if I'm getting a new one.

That graph's about what I would expect for either of those, though I'm sure the Koss clip on's low end can vary a fair deal depending on how you fit them. Edit: The comparison to the DT 880 or 990's interesting too:

graphcomparephp.png
Edited by Impulse - 2/7/13 at 3:28pm
post #11615 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I wish someone would test an AKG 240 studio, with the AKG house sound, large circumaural pads (and no headband bumps), and extra bass, I have a feeling they could be a budget contender. But....... I haven't read any reviews on them except on Amazon and Headroom.
 

 

I used to have the AKG K240 Studio - years ago.  I got it as a gift, and it was one of my first hi-fi headphones, even before my AD700. 

 

I can't remember too much how they sound, but I remember that the soundstage is only medium sized and I think the imaging was OK but not amazing.  Definitely not a "mini-x70x" going off memory.  I seem to remember the bass or mid bass muddying up the imaging and getting in the way.  I remember the signature being slightly dark/warm with perhaps some sizzle in the treble and a hump in the bass.  I know I preferred the soundstage and imaging of the original A40s more.  Still, they were a good sounding headphone.

 

The comfort on the K240s were a deal breaker for me.  Shallow cups + pleather pads = hot itchy ears frown.gif  I assume the Samson SR850 is the same way, which means I would never buy or wear them. 

 

The K240s were the headphones I traded (literally) for the CALs, and I was very happy when I got the CALs. 

 

 

Actually, I'm pretty sure my dad has a pair of K240s, I should borrow them and do a mini review/refresh my memory of them some time...

post #11616 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evshrug View Post

I saw this interesting tidbit after comparing the graphs of my headphones, and I feel I must share:
 

 

Do you have a Superlux 668B?

post #11617 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuku View Post



(2011 mixamp back [with the door-less toslink]


Sexy keyboard...

post #11618 of 24492
Quack, it's a Ducky! I was very tempted to get one last year, only ended up with a Corsair K90 as my first mechanical because it was nearly 1/2 the price (after a promo discount + rebate) and I really like that volume roller it has (big plus with headphones and no external amp).

Might still get a TKL Ducky sometime and pair it with a Griffin Powermate programmable knob. I just can't come to grips with using Fn + F-key for volume adjustment...
Edited by Impulse - 2/7/13 at 4:18pm
post #11619 of 24492

Just wondering, is there any way to get a voice/volume control for xbox to control it externally since my DSS doesnt have it.

post #11620 of 24492
FYI, I got MLE's care package today. Hopefully I can audition the contents within this weekend.

Also, MLE - do you want me to mod your parts express head band before I send it off? I grinded down some excess plastic on mine to let the KSC drivers rotate more freely. Best done with a Dremel tool...
post #11621 of 24492

Psst...Initial X1 vs. AKG Annie impressions below:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/885#post_9142942
 

Full blown review including the following combinations coming soon:

 

Headphones

  • Philips Fidelio X1
  • AKG 65th Anniversary K702
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm

 

Sound Cards

  • Creative Titanium X-Fi Titanium HD
  • ASUS Xonar Essence ST

 

Amps

  • ASUS Xonar Essence ST
  • Schiit Magni

 

Mediums

  • Music  - Rock, Metal, Jazz, Hip Hop, Pop, R&B
  • Games - FPS, RTS, Racing, Third Person
  • Movies - TBD
  • Youtube - General
post #11622 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cib24 View Post

Psst...Initial X1 vs. AKG Annie impressions below:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1/885#post_9142942

 

I've been kinda dreading this comparison but I'm glad someone is comparing the two.

 

I loved the way you described the X1's presentation, right in front of the band is pretty much spot on - I found it a little odd at first but I do really like it. It's taken a lot of testing but I do agree with you on the mids as well, they are a little bit recessed and it isn't just because of the bass presence - I've sorted things out financially so I'm picking between two amps to try and focus on bringing the mid-range forward a bit. Furthering your comparison to the HD650; I agree that the mids on the X1 are less veiled and mellow than the HD650 and I find that the treble is rolled off to a lesser extent, I'm quite sensitive to treble and find that both the PC360/HD595 and the Q701 (finally got hold of my friend who owns these for a comparison) are too bright for my ears and can actually be very fatiguing to listen to. The bass on the X1's is sensational and after adjusting to it I don't think it's negatively impacting the overall sound in any way though it is certainly the most forward part of the spectrum.

 

I'm looking forward to your further comparisons as I agree with pretty much everything you've said about the X1's, I'll also be using a Creative Titanium HD as a source but my current thoughts on what amps I want to pair them with may result in our experiences differing a bit.

post #11623 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulch36 View Post

 

I've been kinda dreading this comparison but I'm glad someone is comparing the two.

 

I loved the way you described the X1's presentation, right in front of the band is pretty much spot on - I found it a little odd at first but I do really like it. It's taken a lot of testing but I do agree with you on the mids as well, they are a little bit recessed and it isn't just because of the bass presence - I've sorted things out financially so I'm picking between two amps to try and focus on bringing the mid-range forward a bit. Furthering your comparison to the HD650; I agree that the mids on the X1 are less veiled and mellow than the HD650 and I find that the treble is rolled off to a lesser extent, I'm quite sensitive to treble and find that both the PC360/HD595 and the Q701 (finally got hold of my friend who owns these for a comparison) are too bright for my ears and can actually be very fatiguing to listen to. The bass on the X1's is sensational and after adjusting to it I don't think it's negatively impacting the overall sound in any way though it is certainly the most forward part of the spectrum.

 

I'm looking forward to your further comparisons as I agree with pretty much everything you've said about the X1's, I'll also be using a Creative Titanium HD as a source but my current thoughts on what amps I want to pair them with may result in our experiences differing a bit.


I am looking for a new amp too. The Magni just doesn't cut it honestly but it's all I have right now and it's better at powering my headphones than the Essence ST sound card's built-in amp is. I've been looking at the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA but can't seem to find it at a price that I'm willing to pay for it. I've been looking at other options as well but the M1 HPA seems like it would satisfy most of what I'm looking for.

post #11624 of 24492
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

FYI, I got MLE's care package today. Hopefully I can audition the contents within this weekend.

Also, MLE - do you want me to mod your parts express head band before I send it off? I grinded down some excess plastic on mine to let the KSC drivers rotate more freely. Best done with a Dremel tool...

Do what you think is best. smily_headphones1.gif
post #11625 of 24492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post

Ordered my K702's yesterday. Couldn't afford Annies unfortunately, but still worth it over the K/Q701's since I like the aesthetics better on the K702's. Very nice looking cans IMO. Now to start saving up for that ZxR and research amps!


Purely an aesthetics choice? I pity tha fool!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 7/9/2014: Ultrasone HFI-15G Added)